PDA

View Full Version : after being awarded your fATPL....

mb2ai
10th Oct 2007, 19:05
yo people,

Should you be extremely lucky enough to go to oats, cabair or other to do and integrated course, your then awarded youtr fATPL should you be successful...

So you then apply or jobs...

Are these jobs going to require you to fork out another 20K for an type rating?

How on earth is that justifiable after forking out 75k for the last 18 months?

Is this true? for all the big names they threw at me when I went to their 'seminar' ?

:uhoh:

tailwheel76
10th Oct 2007, 19:49
Are you asking if its worth spending a fortune to go to one of the big schools to get an fATPL or whether you should spend less to get the same thing eslewhere?

mb2ai
10th Oct 2007, 20:02
as to whether yo fork out 75k to go to one of these schools... only to be told you need to pay another 20k to get a type rating to get a job.

newbie008
10th Oct 2007, 20:27
type rating and instrument rating are 2 different things

ppljames
10th Oct 2007, 22:42
If you are interested in these schemes its worth looking at them in a bit more depth the majority of them you come out with a CPL/IR (instruemnt rating) so you would not need to pay for this on top. However you are correct in thinking there may be extra costs. Some airlines will want you to get a type rating in roder to join them at your own expense

mb2ai
11th Oct 2007, 08:08
I meant type rating

sorry for the confusion...

dartagnan
11th Oct 2007, 09:23
Lot of opportunities after a frozen ATPL:

-pay for a FI rating and get paid peanuts

-buy a type rating + line training with no job guaranty

-look for a job and wait several years still without any guaranty.

-apply at BA, KLM to hear you are too old or have too much experience.

-go to africa to fly a 172 for 500$/month.If you find a job there.

-just be lucky and be sponsored by an airline with a bonding contract, but sits are very very limited.

mb2ai
11th Oct 2007, 10:54
the africa option sounds interesting.

how can i find out more about it dartagnan?

dartagnan
11th Oct 2007, 11:09
the best for africa is to take a flight ticket, and go there, anywhere in africa!...
and if lucky and still alive if not already beaten to death by mosquito full of Hepatis , you may land a job and be paid peanuts.
But what an adventure to have his liver changed for a few hundred of hours on single engine aircraft!.:}

mb2ai
11th Oct 2007, 13:24
Im sorry for the way this thread is going.Apologies for my sarcasm.
If your going to be sour - your not going to help me, and im not going to be influenced so your time is wasted.Lets get this threat back on track.

So, a type rating. Whats the norm for a newly qualified fATPL holder?
A320, 737? Does anyone start on anything bigger?

Ive heard where you do your tr is massive factor in airline selection. Is this true.

And how much roughly (£)?

Thanks in advance. (Non bitter peeps only plz);)

Re-Heat
11th Oct 2007, 17:26
mb2ai - don't worry about dartgnan: he has issues.

The reference threads should give you an overview of what you actually face - yes, you could pay upwards of £100k, but you could also do it for less, either through (a) modular, (b) working so hard at integrated that you are put forward for BA, or are successful at CTC, so the cash is not upfront for a TR, or (c) aiming for the corporate jet world.

tailwheel76
11th Oct 2007, 19:51
If you are going to pay for a type rating I'd consider paying a bit less and going for an ATR (other turboprop types are availble!) qualification. You are more likely (IMHO and experience from freinds) to get a job.

However, if you want a jet type rating, go to a company that will give you a few months line training, and line flying after.

As for going to one of the 'label' schools, if you really want to go down that route, I'd recommend Jerez. Again, only because I know people who have gone throught them and have a job soon after finishing.

However, I think the modular/self improver route is just as effective and will get you where you want to go for less money.

Chippie Chappie
12th Oct 2007, 19:19
So, a type rating. Whats the norm for a newly qualified fATPL holder?
A320, 737? Does anyone start on anything bigger?

:hmm:

Do people start on anything smaller? Why yes they do.

Without going on ad nauseum, the nice people at ANY flying school want you part with your hard earned (or otherwise) cash. Their JOB is to persuade you to fly with their school. So ask yourself which promises can be kept and which cannot. Is what you are paying for value for money. It's not just working out your Return on Investment in the best case scenario, what is the percentage chance of the best case scenario occuring? What's your back-up plan if it doesn't?

Regardless of which flying school you go to, you will walk out with roughly the same number of hours and with the same licence/rating as every other CPL/IR graduate. Not all will have spent the same amount and not all will have the same personality. Not everyone pays for their first type rating.

"Having Oxford on your CV" (I remember them using it as an advertising line) helps some of their graduates, no doubt. But all of them? Former graduates suggest not.

Try and speak to as many people in the area of aviation (Long-haul, Short-haul, LoCo, Exec, Private, Ag, Firebombing, etc.....) that you want to be in as you possibly can. Ask their advice. And don't worry, within two years (if not less) of landing your first job, you'll probably want something better :}
Good luck with the decision.

Chips