PDA

View Full Version : Headset jacks

A Very Civil Pilot
10th Oct 2007, 18:51
Tried this in 'Questions', but no joy, so I'll try here:

What is the correct term for the type of headset that is a single socket, with about half a dozen pins inside it? (as found in some B737-800s)

I need to get an adaptor for my standard 2 jack headset, so need to know which type to get. I've heard of 'Airbus', 'UK Nato', 'US Nato' and various helicopter types (hopefully not relevant). So which is it?

high-flyer
10th Oct 2007, 21:11
Hi there,

If it's 5 pin, i'd say it's an XLR-5 connector. This is the one used on the Airbus, not too sure about the 737. I bought a headset recently with the two individual plugs, designed for an earlier Boeing aircraft, and made the adapter to allow me to use it in the 'bus.

Sennheiser have a very good pdf file, which can be found at http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/Connector_Assignments.pdf/$File/Connector_Assignments.pdf, which contains all the different plug types and the connections in each of them.

Hope this helps

high-flyer

A Very Civil Pilot
11th Oct 2007, 07:02
Thanks high-flyer

As I only see the said 737NG once every few months, I can't be sure which one it is, but I guess it is the Airbus 5-pin type.

I'm looking at Maplins to get the bits - any reccomendations from your DIY adaptor?

Dream Land
11th Oct 2007, 15:01
It is the CAP 5.

Fright Level
11th Oct 2007, 15:14
Does anyone know of a supplier of the standard mic/phone jack plugs used on headsets? The phone plug has a different tip profile than the standard 1/4" audio jacks. Also looking for the little triangular shaped connector blocks (Racal?) to run a single multicore phone/mic lead into then split out for the separate mic/phone jacks.

Thanks.

Fitter2
11th Oct 2007, 15:16
Any of the usual pilot shops will supply mic/tel jack plugs. Try AFE at Manchester or Oxford. (www.afeonline.com)

Riccardo
11th Oct 2007, 19:59
The connections you are referring to are for ANR headsets (active noise reduction).

high-flyer
11th Oct 2007, 21:00
If it is the XLR connector, yes, Maplin will have those, but I had to call the pilot shop at Oxford airport to get the other bits, was given a short length of cable to make up the adapter too.

The homemade adapter has made it 9 months of daily use so far, all well!

Hope this helps.

high-flyer..

kms901
11th Oct 2007, 21:55
If it is a slightly different profile to a standard stereo jack it is TRS or GPO jack, often known as a 316 jack. Try CanfordAudio.co.uk