PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Airlines (info please)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

pezetaroi
10th Oct 2007, 15:31
Anyone flying for VN? I'm currently rated on the A320 with 10,000 hours, considering to apply, any info on T/C's and living in Vietnam?
thanx!

Shteck
10th Oct 2007, 15:43
A lot of info
http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php

Dani
10th Oct 2007, 19:01
better go to Singapore!

newfreighter
11th Oct 2007, 05:29
hi dani,

unless(maybe) silkair. otherwise VN still better than the rest of LCCs?

pezetaroi
11th Oct 2007, 14:48
What I've heard about Singapore, is that the pay doesn't exactly match the high cost of living... besides I'm a FO looking for a possible upgrade and VN offers that option... but still no words from aviators over there :confused:

oryxx
13th Oct 2007, 19:08
ask Kim bell [email protected] about the upgrade :ouch:

pezetaroi
14th Oct 2007, 01:16
thanx....!

LindbergB767
14th Oct 2007, 09:22
If I was you I would ask to Parc Aviation
Dont touch to Risworth
Not too many peoples are happy with them at VN

speedtwoten
14th Oct 2007, 13:20
information regarding pay, schedule and enviroment in this company please, are they need pilots Captain and First Officer, are the info given by PARC in their briefing sheet correct????

oryxx
14th Oct 2007, 15:54
:ok: Thanks for the info... swift to the Parc

Sgnr de L'Atlantique
14th Oct 2007, 20:00
I received the package a couple of weeks ago.

All that was mentioned was a contract till 2009, possibly renewable untill 2011.

No mentioning of any possible upgrades there and from what I hear, VN does not upgrade expats on the A330.

Some ozzies got upgraded on the A320, but only after 4 years living and working there.

Anybody with more info?

A320CAPT
16th Oct 2007, 12:07
IMHO in theory you can be upgraded but REMEMBER - you still have to pay VAC for that so keep your eyes open on that option before you sign your contract!:rolleyes:
Cheers!:ok:

tyne22
17th Oct 2007, 16:58
Hi,

Why Parc Aviation is better that Richworth for this contract ??

LindbergB767
18th Oct 2007, 06:53
you should ask to the 30 or 50 pilots on contract with Rishworth who want to change for Parc

tyne22
18th Oct 2007, 09:55
" you should ask to the 30 or 50 pilots on contract with Rishworth who want to change for Parc "

It is what I am doing, if one of them wants to answer !

mach 84
21st Oct 2007, 15:45
no matter which contract company you are they are making between 1000 .-and 2000.- on your back, so if they offer you 10.000.- they getting much more in their pocket before they pay you!
all this contract companies seem to be your friends, but basically they just are keen on the money they make on your back.

Dream Land
22nd Oct 2007, 20:22
I can tell you that many people do prefer PARC because they pay a bit earlier and PARC tends to stand up to the company when it comes to contract and operational issues, with RAL it's a different story, other differences are insurance options, BUPA Gold scheme with PARC, ACE with RAL.

A320CAPT
22nd Oct 2007, 22:37
Dear Dream Land,

What are the differences between BUPA Gold scheme and ACE in a few words please?

Thanks;)

Lost in Saigon
23rd Oct 2007, 00:55
With BUPA Gold, everything is paid for up front.

With other plans they sometimes make you pay and then you claim it.

Dream Land
23rd Oct 2007, 03:18
Agree with LIS, ACE appears to be better suited to Americans since I believe it covers them in the USA. You pay up front for ACE, all claims then must be submitted by snail mail to a PO box in New Zealand, although a very slow process, people are getting reimbursed for everything submitted and no yearly minimum like BUPA.

A320CAPT
23rd Oct 2007, 08:08
thanks for that

tyne22
23rd Oct 2007, 12:00
If the only difference between Parc and Richworth is the health insurance it is not very importance. You don’t think so ?

Dream Land
23rd Oct 2007, 12:26
Each pilot has his own history with RAL, some good, some not so good, no need to go on and on about why I personally don't like the outfit, only will say that the vast majority here want a different contractor.

varigflier
31st Oct 2007, 01:14
Could anybody provide into what the schedule is like? Is it really 6 weeks on and 2 off? How many hours a month do you fly? Does the schedule change alot?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

VF

Dream Land
31st Oct 2007, 13:15
Well it used to be about 60 hours a month LHS, now due to increased schedule and new aircraft, closer to 90. Rosters are handed out weekly, so the maximum look into the future will be seven days, in that seven days you will usually get two days off.

Vacation periods can be obtained well in advance, vacation days can be manipulated, for instance, instead of taking two weeks off you could make it one week and take three weeks off on the following vacation.

I believe they are desperately short of FO's, TRE's and CA's in that order.

My advice, don't take the first thing they offer you!

D.L.

Some small Airbus destinations: Busan, Osaka, Seoul, HKG, KUL, Bejing, SIN, BKK, Hanoi, DaNang, Seim Reap Cambodia, TPE.

pezetaroi
31st Oct 2007, 16:19
Good info, Dreamland, what about living in Vietnam?

varigflier
31st Oct 2007, 23:13
Dream Land, thanks for the info. I would like to commute from Hawaii. Do you think it would be possible to do that? I know I would have to pay for part of the trip but that's ok to me.

Thanks,
VF

Dream Land
1st Nov 2007, 04:16
I had hoped some other pilots would comment but maybe they are too busy flying! :}

pezetaroi, my opinion is QOL very good, lots of freedom here, traffic is heavy but not dangerous, food is real good, haven't ever been sick, have eaten at many little cafés that open up on the sidewalk at night, the Vietnamese love foreigners, they are happy and helpful. Plenty of single beautiful girls, lots of night spots and fine dining. About four hour drive to the nearest resort / beach area, transportation is plentiful and cheap. You can always walk around in t-shirts and shorts, all year round. Rent for a descent house is about $1000.00 USD, small one bedroom apartments can be found for about $500.00 near the airport or cheaper in South Saigon (one hour commute).

varigflier, your contract will only say 6/2 unless you are a TRE and then 4/4 is possible, but if you talk to the rostering manager you could work out 8 and 3. As far as the ticket goes, you will have to pay that yourself, chances are you could work out some type of jump seat arrangement for the commute with a freighter out of Singapore or Hong Kong, best bet for you would be to share a place with someone for about $350.00, even if you are paying for a ticket you will end up with a lot in the bank!

D.L.

Fly4Fun
2nd Nov 2007, 13:08
Hi,
What about the layovers and night stops. How much one can expect per month?

Many thanks in advance :ok:

Dream Land
3rd Nov 2007, 05:22
Almost no night stops, the Vietnamese crews like to take these flights so they make extra money, generally you are at home every night. I would estimate about three or four layovers in Hanoi each month.

Dream Land
9th Nov 2007, 05:46
Just spoke with a recently hired FO and his sessions went something like this:
Sim 1, Auto pilot off the entire session, minor failures and a variety of approaches.
Sim 2, Normal automation, Double HYD failure, Double ADR failure, Double FCU failure.
Also as a note, they use generic Airbus procedures and check lists, they don't do a lot of weather condition changing, crosswind always 20 knots direct.
Recommend bringing a good bottle of whiskey. :E

LindbergB767
9th Nov 2007, 11:19
They call it an evaluation but if they offer you a contract this is your base check and after that you do some ground school like CRM, SEP, and AIR LAW
Then you get about 4 to 6 sectors and that s it you are check out
It use to be like that
It may be different now

sdac
11th Nov 2007, 17:56
I see that Parc have started advertising for A330 pilots, but with no further info available at the moment.

Anyone locally care to comment on this? The A330 seems to have been on/off for a while now.

varigflier
12th Nov 2007, 12:51
What is the shortage of F/Os due to? New aircraft arriving? People leaving? Just wondering why the urgent need for F/Os.

olepilot
12th Nov 2007, 13:32
because a whole bunch have gone home or elsewhere

socalflyer
13th Nov 2007, 03:23
Were are people leaving to?

Shteck
13th Nov 2007, 04:46
Somewhere
:):):)

Dream Land
13th Nov 2007, 05:49
Many Russians FO's going back to the mother country for commands. Some Aussies going home to Tiger.

varigflier
27th Nov 2007, 23:56
So what are the interview questions like? Anybody care to share?

Lost in Saigon
28th Nov 2007, 00:28
There is no interview.

You just show up with all your "papers". If your papers are in order, you hop in the SIM for 4 hours. If you can keep the blue side up for 30 mins, you got the job. The other 3 1/2 hours is your initial training. Of course you won't know the SOP's so they will instruct you and help you out a lot. The next day you do it again for 4 hours.

Then you go to Ho Chi Minh City for Ground school. Often you will be told to show up at 9am on Monday. Hang around until 10am. Then someone shows up and tells you to come back at 9am on Tuesday.

On Tuesday you'll start about 9:30 and break for lunch at 11:30. Come back around 2pm and finish at 4pm. This goes on for about 10 days and then you do a few sectors of Line Indoc.

You are issued a temporary Vietnamese licence based on your ICAO licence. After a few months you go to Hanoi and write the Vietnamese "Air Law" exam.

This exam must have been written by Vietnamese with rather poor English. The questions are difficult to understand, and the answers rarely make any sense. You just pick the best answer and hope for the best.

If English is your native tongue, you will have difficulty passing it on the first try. Don't worry, you can always write it again. Everyone else seems to understand the "pigeon" English and gets it on the first try. If you fail 3 times they give you and "Oral".

That at was my experience in 2003.

VNA Lotus
28th Nov 2007, 16:52
hello everyone,

I am doing my CPL/IR course, I will be a low timer, my father is Vietnamese, unfornatunlely I do not speak vietnamese (:ugh:) and I do not have vietnamese nationality( french nationality) I am trying to get the double nationality, but it is very very difficult.... Any chance for F/O position ??

thanks

Lost in Saigon
28th Nov 2007, 17:04
No, you need to have experience on type to get a job as a foreigner in Vietnam.

That means a type rating and at least 500 hours on type. They currently pay foreigners about $8,000 USD per month for 320 FO.

Vietnamese nationals get paid much less. Your best bet is to get some experince before you go to Vietnam.

VNA Lotus
28th Nov 2007, 17:18
Event if I was paid 1500$ I would go... you can live very well with that.
Ok...that's a shame. :uhoh:

Lost in Saigon
28th Nov 2007, 17:26
I agree, even a foreigner can live reasonably well on as little as $1000 per month in Vietnam.

In that case, try and get your dual citizenship, learn some Vietnamese and head off to Vietnam. It could be a good way for you to get experience. Their pilot cadets generally start out as ATR-72 FO's.

They might be happy to have you. But just a warning.... Working for Vietnam Airlines is a VERY prestigious, highly sought after job, for any Vietnamese National.

Rumours are that you need to bribe someone, pay a fee, or have family members high up in the Communist Party in order to get a job as a pilot or Flight Attendant.

tknapp
29th Nov 2007, 01:22
Looking for a buddy of mine knew him from Las vegas, Randy is a check airman I believe over there. Anybody have his email they could PM me.
Thanks

Dream Land
29th Nov 2007, 06:19
tknapp, check your pm's.

Lost in Saigon
29th Nov 2007, 11:56
Is this Randy ?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/Vietnam%20Photos/Randy.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/msowsun/Vietnam%20Photos/Randy2.jpg

tknapp
29th Nov 2007, 14:53
Thats Randy! Always with a beer.
Thanks

Lost in Saigon
29th Nov 2007, 14:56
I don't have his email address. Were you able to get it from "Dream Land"?

Bus Junkie
29th Nov 2007, 18:22
Oh yes, that is Randy. Where are his twins?

Dream Land
30th Nov 2007, 02:02
One of the mass emails. :)

LindbergB767
30th Nov 2007, 06:10
To VNA Lotus
No you d ont live well anymore in Vietnam with 1000 or 1500 US a month you only survive
Like everywhere everything increased
In Vietnam you can not have dual Nationalities

NG ExPat
30th Nov 2007, 18:00
Is anyone over there hiring 737 Pilots? I just got screwed over in India, and am looking for something.

Dream Land
30th Nov 2007, 18:59
Pacific Airlines, sorry, don't have any details about requirements for DEC's their website only talks about the cadet programme, partly owned by Jet*? Sorry I couldn't give more info.

LindbergB767
1st Dec 2007, 05:24
Hey NG Pacific is not paying very good and since Qantas is involve now they are planning to phase out the 737 and replace them by A 320
You should look for a contract in Japan where the conditions are a lot better
Yes the course is long in Japan but you are fully paid while doing it (6 months)
Contact Parc

Dream Land
1st Dec 2007, 15:22
Many new captain slots may become available in Vietnam soon, management has thought up a brilliant idea for all captains to get checked out in the R/H seat to help combat the mass exodus of FO's recently (small bus fleet). :ugh: Also a letter from the fleet manager indicates that all FO's are frozen in their position for at least one year. Think twice before coming this way...

sam34
2nd Dec 2007, 18:27
Vietnam it's a great Country...people are very friendly.

dougmeister
3rd Dec 2007, 14:21
tknapp (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=196049), don't know if you've managed to locate your friend Randy or not. There maybe some confusion about Randy's in Vietnam Airlines. You were looking for a "check airman". The Randy in the picture is an OLP.
Vietnam Airlines seems to only select European TRE/TRIs. Hope this helps:ok:

NVpilot
5th Dec 2007, 09:15
Doug, please read post 49. Hope this helps. :ok:

varigflier
11th Dec 2007, 01:36
I am thinking of taking a little trip to Saigon and check out the scene. Any suggestions on where to stay?

Thanks in advance.
VF

Dream Land
11th Dec 2007, 08:03
Not sure of what type of accommodations you prefer but in the center of town, what is called District 1 is your best bet, close to everything, tour buses originate from this area, to all points. No safety issues, all parts of the city are very safe.

varigflier
11th Dec 2007, 17:41
Thanks. I'll start from there. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

VF

YankeeGolf
28th Dec 2007, 07:25
Very interested in the Parc Contract for Vietnam A320 operations. Anyone in the airline now that I can email to gage the happiness index there? thanks fellow pilots!:ok:

Dream Land
28th Dec 2007, 10:39
Money is a bit low considering the inflation that affects expats, living conditions much better than India and the 6/2 schedule is good.

YankeeGolf
28th Dec 2007, 12:08
Hi Dream Land.
Thanks for the info. How much in terms of rent and living expenses should one single guy be expecting to part with every month in HCMC? (safe comfortable condo, occasional beers, and getting around with taxi, can eat local food, etc) .

working conditions, fellow pilots, local and expat pilot integration?

command potential for FO contract?

jumpdrive
30th Dec 2007, 18:54
any info on apartments for rent web sites in the city

Dream Land
31st Dec 2007, 09:59
A couple items in the expat paper today, email: [email protected] and www.chaocom.com.

jumpdrive
1st Jan 2008, 15:49
is it possible for an expat to buy a propperty over there
is it easy, has someone done it
instead of paying rent for a long period of time
thanks

Dream Land
2nd Jan 2008, 00:18
Yes it is possible to purchase condominiums, purchasing land can be accomplished with a bit of red tape or Vietnamese wife.

John001
7th Jan 2008, 13:30
Dream Land;

please check your PM's

Regards,

John.

Metro man
7th Jan 2008, 22:24
They seem to be getting a bit desperate, Rishworth email stated they are in the process of finalising terms for pilots not meeting usual requirements of 1500/jet 500/type for FO. Basically if you have an A320 rating they will look at you.

varigflier
8th Jan 2008, 01:40
I got that same email twice already. All I did was ask for some information and now I keep on getting their emails every week. Do you guys think they will raise the pay again??

jumpdrive
8th Jan 2008, 17:22
theyre having lots of discussions as we chat
they dont seem to reach an agreement
with the ATR pilot's and "extras" are diff from the ATR fleet & Airbus fleet
like per diem & accomodation
in ATR allowance is $1,000 , in 320 is $1,500
simply not fair for the ATR skipper's ,you'll live in the same city
regardless of type............its stupid
so ATR pilots are realy upset & mad about it
also they wanna change the per diem fix
from $1,000 to $1,200
lets see what they come up this week
c ya

Lost in Saigon
9th Jan 2008, 03:27
It doesn't matter how the individual salary, housing, or per diem expenses are divided up. Each contractor does it differently.

All that matters is what the total is.

yankiejack
9th Jan 2008, 23:00
Could some one in the know please advise what is the total net salary being offered by the 2 agencies.

Thanx for the info. Have a great day.

Jack

jumpdrive
10th Jan 2008, 01:18
which one is the other agency appart from rishworth

varigflier
10th Jan 2008, 01:19
Parc, Rishworth and I believe there is one more but I can't remember the name.

jumpdrive
10th Jan 2008, 01:20
could it be EPA ?

Dream Land
10th Jan 2008, 04:12
Could some one in the know please advise what is the total net salary being offered by the 2 agencies.
Which fleet are you needing information on? You can just click on the Rishworth Aviation banner on PPRuNe to see details of the offer.

yankiejack
10th Jan 2008, 05:21
Hi Dream Land,

The A320 fleet.

Will check their website. Is the pay pretty much the same across the agencies???

Website really doesnt mention the pay scale !!!!!

Thanx

Jack

Dream Land
10th Jan 2008, 05:25
Same monthly income, I believe the only differences are in the first few weeks, initial hotel stay, pay during training.

varigflier
10th Jan 2008, 11:42
Which one pays for hotel and training?

Dream Land
10th Jan 2008, 12:35
Please check Rishworth and Parc websites, this stuff changes by the minute, they are very short of crews.

jumpdrive
10th Jan 2008, 12:52
i dont know why always such a mistery to give details of something
where piltos here comon!!!! geez!
help each other
thats why these damn brokers & airlines are doing what they want with us
we never stick together

here's rishworth package

ATR
$7,927

AIRBUS 320
$10,600

both are 6 weeks ON 2 weeks OFF
they will only pay the sim for screening
you will have to pay for evry' thing else, pay back its on 1st salary
if you are not on a vietnam airlines destination
they pay 50% of the tkt to get to one to go for the sim

there is no transport provided for work
only when outside base for overnite

a good appartment is $1,000
a good house $,1500

i dont know PARC's package .........if you have it, post it.......
its not on theyre current job list

happy ldg's

varigflier
10th Jan 2008, 15:36
Jumpdrive,

I agree with you........

Anyways, are these numbers for captain or F/O position? Do you know anything about the upgrade possibilities for F/Os? I appreciate the info.

jumpdrive
10th Jan 2008, 15:56
this is for capt.
have no idea for f/o, sorry

hopefully someone else will pop out & help U with that info

Dream Land
10th Jan 2008, 19:15
i dont know why always such a mistery to give details of something
The mystery is this, the contracts are constantly changing, pilots hired one year after me are on a different contract, people hired three years after me are on another contract, it's a very dynamic situation, getting on the boards and passing out outdated information serves no purpose- especially when and individual can simply make a couple keystrokes and get the information first hand, my intention is not to tell you which contract is better, I recommend that anyone interested in working here, do your homework, there's only two contractors so it's not difficult. I will do my best to answer any other questions based on my perspective, my recommendation is you correspond with several pilots.

Cheers, D.L.

jumpdrive
10th Jan 2008, 21:47
ok
it seems that no one wants to help the other
'cause its a few keystrokes, or not his job

ill have parc's package maybe tomorrow

c ya

Metro man
10th Jan 2008, 23:11
F/O Rishworth

Total US$7800 month net of Vietnamese taxes. Made up of :
Base $5100
Accomodation $1500
Per Diem $1200

Upgrades now possible.
Hope this helps

varigflier
11th Jan 2008, 01:41
So does anybody know how the upgrade works?

LindbergB767
11th Jan 2008, 02:56
upgrade are a nice carrot
So far 4 guys have been upgraded since 3 years
But it is not free
On 777 it was $26000 Us without salary while on the ground school and Sim plus a bank garrantee of$30000 The 26000 was deducted every month for about 18 months
Airbus 320??? but I think similar

Dream Land
11th Jan 2008, 02:58
Please don't treat this as the gospel truth, the last upgrade deal was something like this:

1. The individual obtains a training bond for three years for $30K.

2. Training pay during training.

3. After training is completed, you receive captain pay less payments each month for three years, total 24K.

4. Due to abuse by other pilots, the bond stays at the 30K level the entire time.

olepilot
11th Jan 2008, 07:10
parc
10600usd for capts
in my opinion parc pay better for the training time and also better medical
also some other (minor) diffs that work in favor for parc.
but take this, except 10600, for what it is:
I'm parc and this is my personal views
rumour has it that they will upgrade again in the 2nd quarter this year and pay is going up

jumpdrive
11th Jan 2008, 12:36
A320 f/o with ....................parc

$6,300 + $1,500 housing

one more thing
they do give the airline ticket @ start & end of contract
rishworth DOES NOT

same work pattern 6x2
same ID tickets benefits
Parc provides Personal Accident / Emergency Insurance
also BUPA Gold.
TotalTemporary Disablement & Loss of Licence
rishworth NO sir

Deske1
11th Jan 2008, 20:11
There are direct-entry pilot vacancies on the website of VN for Capt and F/Os for B777,A320,A330 and ATR.

www.vietnamairlines.com

Is anyone familiar with the T and Cs?

jumpdrive
11th Jan 2008, 20:34
any one has an idea ; of how much the agencies are getting on our behalf
basicaly by doing nothing!

$1,000
$1,500

any one has a clue?

varigflier
12th Jan 2008, 18:18
So how does one get picked for the upgrade? Or is it a matter of just getting the bank garantee?
Also for housing, the prices listed above, is it for furnished or unfurnished apartment and houses? Is it easy to find a roommate?

Lost in Saigon
12th Jan 2008, 18:53
Most homes are furnished and it is very easy to find roommates. You are probably better off to stay in a "Mini Hotel" ($400-500 per month) until you can figure out where you want to live.

Some like staying near the airport. Others like downtown or even farther out.

cucch69
16th Jan 2008, 03:04
I am a Fractional pilot in the U.S. toying with the idea of getting some Airbus time and going back to SE Asia.

I dont know much about these contracts, but I am curious how you work 6 weeks in a row...

If anyone could give me an idea about how the schedule works I would greatly appreciate it.

good luck, Thanks

olepilot
16th Jan 2008, 04:33
During the 6 weeks you work acc. the FOM which governs days off, max duty period time, flight hours. etc.

Dream Land
16th Jan 2008, 08:51
A normal week has one or two days OFF(recently), so assuming five days of work:

Day 1. SGN-HKG-SGN
Day 2. SGN-PNH-VTE-HAN Layover in Hanoi (5 star hotel)
Day 3. HAN-VTE-PNH-SGN
Day 4. SGN-REP-SGN-HUI-SGN
Day 5. SGN-DAD-SGN-KUL-SGN
Day 6. OFF
Day 7. OFF

Generally all day flights, home at night.

cucch69
16th Jan 2008, 13:46
Wow.. That doesnt sound too bad at all. I work a 7on 7off here in the states and its pretty good.
Just weighing out my options...I met my wife in PNH and we would eventually like to get back there. Just not sure I could dodge the "when we havin kids" anymore, Then we wouldn't have the option of moving to the other side of the world.

Thanks for the insight

Lost in Saigon
17th Jan 2008, 01:26
cucch69,

You generally need a minimum of 500 hours on type and current within the last 6 months to get a contract.

Dream Land
18th Jan 2008, 04:05
Not exactly aware of the specifics but I have heard that any time in an A320 is now being considered, previous requirements waved. :eek:

raklameen
18th Jan 2008, 06:11
Hi Friend,
can u plz help me with the HR contact nos at VNAC please? The one published on the website seems to be unwell. Are they also converting pilots ( the A320 guys) on to the B777s?
Would be obliged if u could help me. Thanks a ton. Happy Flying:ok:

Dream Land
18th Jan 2008, 06:42
Hi Friend,
can u plz help me with the HR contact nos at VNAC please? The one published on the website seems to be unwell. Are they also converting pilots ( the A320 guys) on to the B777s?
Would be obliged if u could help me. Thanks a ton. Happy Flying Hello there, as I print this message there are only two agencies that you would want to work for on this contract. 1. Rishworth Aviation (http://www.rishworthaviation.com/home/default.asp) and 2. PARC Aviation (http://www.parcaviation.aero/aviation/FlightcrewJobs.asp), you can not work directly for Vietnam Airlines.

Good luck, D.L.

raklameen
18th Jan 2008, 06:51
Hi D.L
thanks a ton for the reply. But can you please help me regarding the upgrade to a B777? Have a lot of experience on the a320/21 fleet.
Thanks again & sorry to work u up:)

Dream Land
18th Jan 2008, 07:05
Not trying to be smart BUT, the two contractors are aware of any current information regarding your question, also, if it's not in writing, it's just BS anyway (and it never will be). The system Chief Pilot has indicated in meetings that upgrading to another fleet is possible, my guess is that a person would have to work a while in the fleet you have experience in, then, based on fitness reports and Vietnam Airlines' need for crews (along with a bunch-o-money), you'd be able to upgrade. Also, I don't think they are short captains on the 777, as it is, captains are operating in the left and right seats. :yuk:

ia1166
19th Jan 2008, 00:53
The pay is always slightly better with Parc. Bupa is also better and cheaper to add any dependants i believe. You also get a very good group accident insurance for free which will cost you 140 a month from RAL. If you want o upgrade your insurance with RAL to BUPA it will cost 1800 a year. So the benefit is around 300 a month. PARC also offer a good LOL and Illness insurance at good rates which RAL do not. Also if you get in hot water here don't expect any help from RAL where the last few incidents here with PARC pilots, they have been admirably defended by PARC, while the RAL guys have been less well so. Also RAL will cut sepearate deals with everybody so there are lots of different deals with RAL guys. Some actually get more money, or bupa, where PARC is all the same.

The last upgrade package was this: 30K bond held by the contract company, a letter of guarantee from your bank will suffice if you own property. You are unpaid during training but you can offset this by using your rotation. You must pay 25K but you can offset this with your salary which meant guys working on FO salary for about 1 year after their line check, then full command salary. It's not a perfect world but in my view this isn't a bad deal and 4 guys took it. All very happy. The guys that didn't are still here in the RHS so go figure.

Life is ok here which is why you don't see people here on pprune whinging on like you do in other areas. Roster disruption is a big problem but manageable. More money would be good as the rising costs here are hurting people. Very short of fos which is no doubt holding up any upgrades.

And i've never heard of a expat fleet change apart from atr to airbus and that took a lot of "negotiating (money)" and is a non starter for us mere mortals. (767 to 777 excepted of course)

raklameen
19th Jan 2008, 05:09
Hi D.L.
would u be in a position to tell me of any airline in asia/s.e.asia looking for non type rated (experienced) A320 pilots?:ugh:
Any idea as to when the SQ induction for the A330-300s would commence?
Somehow i love the SQ group:)
Thanks a lot for your information:D

Dream Land
19th Jan 2008, 05:22
No, not aware of any Airbus operator in SE Asia that accepts non-type rated pilots (yet). Vietnam Airlines now is lowering requirements but you must be type rated and current. As far as SQ, wouldn't Tiger be a good starting point?

raklameen
19th Jan 2008, 05:30
Well D.L , there comes a time when we all need a break from the current fleet , especially after spending a decade on it.
Tiger would be an extension of my current rating. No offence meant to this fantastic airline.
Any idea if EY would be coming out with an MFF policy( A320 to A330 or A320 to the A340)? or any1 ready to train on the 777s?

TWN PPL
19th Jan 2008, 06:44
I once was trying for the 777 two years ago. Had a meeting with the Director of training Capt. Nguyen Thai Trung. Don't know if he is still at that position. I had the same dilemma. Having flown Airbus and Boeing. With current 8,000 command on the 744. Even with his support, I still could not pass that 500hrs on type rule. Would have relished working and living in Ho Chi Minh City. Nice place to be.

TheFlyingDJ
16th Feb 2008, 23:49
Sim 1, Auto pilot off the entire session, minor failures and a variety of approaches.
Sim 2, Normal automation, Double HYD failure, Double ADR failure, Double FCU failure.

Does anyone know if these items are still on the sim checks held in saigon or singapore? Maybe more items to show skills?
I've read the earlier posts but just wondering if things might have changed.

Requirement lowering is still pending at caav afaik.

I-Fly-River
17th Feb 2008, 22:31
Hello guys,
saw the A330 posting for F/O on VN website. 6 on/2 off as per others. may I ask how is life for the A330 guys? and how much can we expect to get for F/O A330? thanks in advance. big help as considering move from current airline at the moment and weighing the options. thanks :O:O

angelgabriel
18th Feb 2008, 10:49
hi guys,am due to join vietnam soon,has any1 out there got any info on the rumoured pay increase for the 320 fleet ?

Khaosai
18th Feb 2008, 19:02
Hi,

looks like some DEC slots on the B777 possibly coming up.

Rgds.

Anonymus6
18th Feb 2008, 20:07
hi there,

sorry to change the subject a bit, but from a reliable source I have heard that Vietnam Airlines are very short on crew, I have also heard they are taking non type rated guys to train them and sign a bond with them. Any truth in these?

I belive they are receiving couple of A320 this year.

best regards

TheFlyingDJ
18th Feb 2008, 20:16
If that is true, I suppose they are locals, bcz expats even with a type need caav approval (currently pending).

If they are really short on crew, then it's just a matter of time that they are hiring expats low timers (good for a few fellow ppruners too!)

captain_toga
20th Feb 2008, 10:48
Does Vietnam upgrade expats on the 777? If so what kind of hours do they require and how long do you think you would have to wait in the company for the opportunity?

Will they continue to take expats for the foreseeable future?

thanks!

Dream Land
20th Feb 2008, 12:37
It is my opinion that Vietnam will always be in need of expats for the foreseeable future, upgrading is possible on the 77 fleet depending on staffing requirements only, at this time they seem to be over staffed, captains flying in both seats lately.

TheFlyingDJ
26th Feb 2008, 14:29
Anyone have an update on recruitment with VNA?
Haven't heard any news on recruitment there.

squidward
26th Feb 2008, 23:37
Last I heard (about a month ago), through PARC, was that they are in the process of setting up T&C's on a new agreement - for non A320 type rated applicants.....

Not sure if this also refers to those who already have type rating but no time on type.

tknapp
27th Feb 2008, 21:05
With the American Airlines partnership, are you going to be able to travel at a discounted rate?

angelgabriel
5th Mar 2008, 10:07
Hi guys,am starting with VAC on the 13th march,would be a great help if any1 could pass on some info on housing in saigon ? thanks.

varigflier
5th Mar 2008, 18:23
Hey angelgabriel,

Could you shed some light on the sim ride you took?

Thanks,
VF

angelgabriel
6th Mar 2008, 05:11
the sim cx included dual hyd failures,windshear,tcas,emer descent,seng app and go around and lots of N.P.A's. they look for s.o.p and safe handling. the fleet manager did mine and he was a very nice guy.

Dream Land
6th Mar 2008, 06:00
May I suggest to future applicants that have inquiries about actual simulator scenarios be left to private messages, although Vietnam is considered a developing country, they are very internet savvy and regularly read this thread.

boeingbusbenn
7th Mar 2008, 03:18
Where are the Vietnam Airlines' pilots based?

mach 84
7th Mar 2008, 09:28
all in ho chi minh city (SGN) but especially in the airbus fleet you can expect to spend a lot of overnights at hanoi (HAN).

NEDude
8th Mar 2008, 17:38
Any chance on them lowering the 1000 PIC on type (A-320) requirement?

Thanks.

jumpdrive
15th Mar 2008, 06:21
anyone with numbers or web site for real estate @ HCMC ?
looking for place to rent
thanks

Dream Land
15th Mar 2008, 06:43
Try this (http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/), it's the local Engish "happy" news paper.

Dream Land
15th Mar 2008, 10:07
Doing a google search for "houses for rent in Hochiminh" will produce plenty. Some of the things you may run into are minimum one year lease, people asking for three months rent in advance, they will ask you to sign two different leases, one is your agreement with the owner, the other is a fake agreement that they put on record with the police that shows a rental price of half the real agreement. Many houses listed are for sale and may be sold without any notice. Most houses are originally built for no air conditioning.

jumpdrive
16th Mar 2008, 14:18
HCMC its a bit over rated with the prices
taxis on one hand are expensive, toyotas & all U want but not cheap
in BKK for example my ride for the airport was almost 40 km
& ussually paid 180 baht or almost all the time round it up to 200 Bt
if i took the tollway, add another 40 bt, but thats it
were talking about 7 dolars here
in HCMC i pay 10 for 13 km's, from sky garden to airport

& rent level are just way up
smal 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom, not lower than $1,300
plus 3 months deposit (if lucky) or 6
and some like to be paid evry 2 months

elsewere another app is better or same quality but way less than $1,000

any way its what i see

the area over sly garden its .................ok.................yes ok
but tinyWinni appts for 1,400's 1,600's, or $1,800's?!?!?!?
hummmmmm, no way jose
dont even think about A HOUSE if your salary its not over 15K a month
or paid by a big oiling company
theyre nice but the lowest its on the 3,000's!!!!

anyway's im still lookinn for something worth the bucks

cya

Tigs2
16th Mar 2008, 14:44
Sounds like a good place to buy and rent out!!

from_jupiter
18th Mar 2008, 04:52
Hello there everybody.
I am an Airbus A-320 family captain with the required experience to join Vietnam Airlines. I have sent an e-mail to Parc aviation and got their reply, but still have some questions if you can help me out.

1- Does Vietam airlines ( or Parc ) pay thirteen salary ?
2- Does Vietam airlines ( or Parc ) pay any provident fund ?
3- Is the "confirmed ticket" on VAC network extended to your family ( I have a wife - no kids )
4- Is your family included in BUPA or you have to pay extra for that ?
5- Does the 2 weeks-off start when you reach your home base until you leave it or it is calendar days ?

Thanks for any information, I need them to decide accepting or not this contract.

Have nice and safe flights to everybody.

Dream Land
18th Mar 2008, 05:04
- Does Vietam airlines ( or Parc ) pay thirteen salary ?
2- Does Vietam airlines ( or Parc ) pay any provident fund ?
3- Is the "confirmed ticket" on VAC network extended to your family ( I have a wife - no kids )
4- Is your family included in BUPA or you have to pay extra for that ?
5- Does the 2 weeks-off start when you reach your home base until you leave it or it is calendar days ?

1. 13?
2. ?, sorry not familiar.
3. No
4. Pay extra, don't have any numbers to pass on.
5. Home base is SGN, so since you work out of home base and are home each night, this is not an issue. So you are scheduled to fly on the day before rotation and the first day following. There is no travel time given in addition to days off.

If you are asking about the company paying a bonus 13th month, the answer is no. Cheers, D.L.

RWEDAREYET
23rd Mar 2008, 18:16
D.L.

You seem to have the scoop on Vietnam Airlines. I just saw an advertisement from PARC that Vietnam is looking for A320 captains with different roster patterns. I assume the pay differs based on the roster.

I'm currently with USAiways and want to get back into contract flying again. This carreer in the USA isn't what it used to be.

Could you PM me and let me know how you like it there, what terms I should expect from PARC, etc.

Cheers.

mach 84
24th Mar 2008, 18:10
life in vietnam is not to bad at all, but you should keep in mind that the falling dollar and the inflation (18%last february) are taking their toll. if you are coming alone -fine, but if you have your family here things are getting expensive. close to the airport you still can find some cheap places to stay, but your family would not be happy. if you settle at familyfriendly enviroment, like PHU MY HUNG, you have to pay for it (1-2K). not only that the rent there is going up, the traffic jams are getting bigger day by day and also the taxi fares have gone up by 70% over the last 2 years.

varigflier
26th Mar 2008, 01:06
Are the F/Os still being allowed to upgrade or did the upgrades stop?

jumpdrive
27th Mar 2008, 07:24
still allowed
btw, i think 4 more are going up soon
c ya

tknapp
31st Mar 2008, 01:29
I just got the package from Parc, they said to expect VNA to start flying to the states and also Europe, does anyone know when this might happen?

jumpdrive
31st Mar 2008, 03:58
end of year to USA
& theyre flying to FRA & CDG long time ago, also Moscow

akistar1
31st Mar 2008, 12:48
How years does a 777 expat FO need to be in the company to be upgraded?

THRidle
31st Mar 2008, 17:11
This is a quote from the VN website re-777 F/O's

"To be upgraded / converted after working for VNA at least 3 years"

Hope that answers your question.

tknapp
31st Mar 2008, 21:01
I saw on pprune new pay rates, is it still 10.6 for a captain or has it changed?

boeingbusbenn
1st Apr 2008, 03:56
I'm currently an Airbus captain in the US for a good airline (!) but would like to make plans in case things get worse here. My wife and I are thinking about making a trip to SGN in a month or two to take a look. Can anyone can suggest how to most effectively check out what it would be like to live there, given about 3 days in country? We have two young kids, so any info on school costs would be appreciated too.

Thank you!

Dream Land
1st Apr 2008, 08:36
boeingbusbenn, suggest you hook up with some of us in Vietnam, plan it well in advance so one of us can make plans to be free on that day, three days is not too long but plenty of opportunity to see rental prices, schools, general living conditions. We are working hard now and advance notice is prudent.

Straughanie
2nd Apr 2008, 20:11
sorry to veer slightly off topic... I am moving to SGN in June, if there is anyone that would be willing to offer a few hints/tips on living out there I would really appreciate a PM...

Cheers,

Straughanie :ok:

A319rider
7th Apr 2008, 16:00
HI guys,

I'm an airbus F/O with around 1400 hours total time, 1200 on the airbus. I'm seriously considering applying for Vietnam airlines, and reading trough this post made me even more interested.
Can any of you working there tell me if my hours would be enough or are they really looking for the 2500 total time minimum?
Could you pass me some more information about the company, how the bases are, which planes are based where, what are the future growth plans for the company, etc.
My last question (for the moment :}) is: which is the best way to apply for the job, should I go through Parc aviation or Rishworth, or should I apply directly to the company?
Thanks for your time.

Dream Land
8th Apr 2008, 09:54
Suggest you contact the contractors, they are the one ones with the latest contract information, which includes hiring minimums, pilots already hired receive very little information about contract changes unless it involves a salary increase. Contact both contractors and find out what they are offering, if there is something you don't like in the contract, DON'T accept it. Good luck. :ok:

spearomic
8th Apr 2008, 10:25
Are they hiring fo on the ATR ? I applied few weeks ago without anyresult, anyone could give me some help please:ok:

kontur
8th Apr 2008, 18:58
They are in the desperate need of Airbus pilots and recently have upgraded guys from ATR.So you chances are high.try to apply through different agencies:ugh:

wileydog3
8th Apr 2008, 21:07
Max age to apply?

boeingbusbenn
9th Apr 2008, 01:09
What kind of flexibility is there in the contract terms for Vietnam Airlines? For example, if you say you don't want to commit to any more than 2 years, will they work with you on that?

kontur
9th Apr 2008, 01:50
BB!Just don`t say that.Though some agencies can apply the fine for the earlier termination of the contract.
Max age is 60 for active pilots,so 55-57 is still good to apply.
I suppose all these Questions could be discussed with agencies.
Good Luck!;)

Dream Land
9th Apr 2008, 07:12
The paperwork for age 65 on the Airbus is being processed now. The term of the contract coincides with a re-evaluation of contract terms by the airline, not necessarily the period that services are required, you can stay here as long as you want.

BB, I believe the contract periods are non-negotiable, what you can negotiate is the length of time that the penalty for leaving early clause will remain in force, I think only six months for PARC, please check.

Cheers,DL

AlohaG
9th Apr 2008, 17:42
Hi, I am new to contract and considering my options. I wanted to get an opinion of the different agencies and places to go before I decide which direction to go. So far I've talked to Parc, Rishworth, WASINC, CrewResources, and IAC. Does anyone have any opinions, advice?

spearomic
9th Apr 2008, 20:50
What are the agencies in charge of the recruitment for vietnam airlines ? (at least one)

varigflier
10th Apr 2008, 01:03
Rishworth and Parc for sure. I believe there is one more but I don't know the name.

AlohaG
10th Apr 2008, 01:17
Thanks so much. Any advice on which airlines are the best and worst, in the contract field. Some I'm looking at are ANA group (though I'm not sure if Parc and Rishworth have that one) and Air Pacific. I'm just out on the street from Aloha and just didn't know much about this before. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

varigflier
10th Apr 2008, 01:22
Sorry to hear about Aloha. I flew with you guys alot when I was living in Hawaii. Best time of my life so far. As to your question, I am also new at contract flying so I don't have an answer for you but I am sure people will answer your questions pretty soon. Good luck with the job hunt.

AlohaG
10th Apr 2008, 01:29
Thanks, I really appreciate that.

Dream Land
11th Apr 2008, 06:04
AlohaG, sorry to here about your situation, not good conditions to start looking for a job, Vietnam Airlines hires only current and qualified, mainly on the small bus, my suggestion is to contact the big agencies with your details, they only make money when you are working-so they will be happy to put you back to work ASAP, pilots working in Japan seem to be very happy, good for commuting to Hawaii if that's where your at, good luck.

777birdcage
11th Apr 2008, 08:09
AlohaG: PARC, HACS (Hawaii) and IAC (Oz) hire for the ANA group. I use PARC and they have been fine for me. They sent a representative to Hawaii eariler in the week to meet with you guys at our request... They are also going to MDW to see the ATA guys.. Sad times for y'all.. Goodluck.

VA guys: ANY word on USA (or at least N. America) flying? I have read LAX via KIX a few months ago, and now nothing...

Thanks!!

Dream Land
11th Apr 2008, 09:10
I believe they are working out details like Sky Marshals etc., last word I heard was by the end of the year.
Cheers,D.L.

lubum
11th Apr 2008, 20:32
Hello
I am a french ATR Captain and expect to move to Vietnam (VN) on ATR via contract (parc or rishworth).My wife and my 2 sons will follow me.
I would like some informations about lifestyle,cost of life in Ho Chi Minh,rooster and atmosphere in VN.We know Thailand and Japan,not Vietnam.
Thanks

Dream Land
12th Apr 2008, 07:00
Similar to Thailand in some respects, housing, plan on $1500, tuition for intl. schools $800-1000 per kid. Food is great here, very healthy and safe cuisine, large western style grocery stores available. Lot's of historical sites, Vietnam is very beautiful, many areas completely untouched by tourists, people are very friendly and helpful to foreigners, even though Hochiminh is 8 million plus, safe to walk anywhere in the city at all hours.

On the negative, air pollution and traffic is bad in the city, infrastructure badly lacking, housing prices going off the chart, construction noise everywhere, driving conditions treacherous as law enforcement (and driver education) is non-existent.

On the line, aircraft are well maintained (IMO) and bad weather is very infrequent, mostly day flying on the small bus, standard Airbus SOP and friendly flight attendants.

Cheers,D.L.

kontur
12th Apr 2008, 07:34
Agree with DL.But count twice as education fee for two kids(BIS,SSiS-around 1000$ per month,ABS-around 800$,)and decent 3 bedroom apartment around 1500$ can suck your pocket.Know some pilots(2+ kids)who has chosen airlines with an education support
PS. Heard that the French School is much cheaper(around 300$) but not sure
BRGDS,

AlohaG
12th Apr 2008, 20:53
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the advice and the condolences.

abudhabitaxidriver
20th Apr 2008, 14:10
I would appreciate any infos regarding the A330 fleet... routes, salary, roster, etc.... and by the way do they get enough drivers ????

tknapp
20th Apr 2008, 14:24
Does anybody know what the normal wait time is to get a call?

discus2
2nd May 2008, 13:25
As an ATR Captain, I am considering a contract with VLA.
What are the chances to be upgraded on the Jet fleet ?
Thanks for any info.

Dream Land
2nd May 2008, 14:59
Actually there are at least four pilots from the ATR upgrading to the A320 now, all expats. :E

Inspector Clueless
3rd May 2008, 18:58
Dream Land,
Is there ANY scope for an expat A320 rated FO to join and then upgrade or is this a non starter?

I have a friend with 3 yrs A320,resigned for new job in India,offer cancelled last month due DGCA ruling against expat FOs.He needs a new job as hes already resigned from his old firm.

Thanks and good luck,good info,

IC

legion319
3rd May 2008, 19:19
Hi,
Where do you take your FAA medical in Vietnam, do they make you take one when you join?
cheers
jc

Dream Land
4th May 2008, 18:02
It's seems to be totally up to the system Chief Pilot as to who upgrades, if you're doing a good job in his eyes and they need the captains, you will eventually have a shot, there is no seniority here, and up till now there is no mention of upgrade in the pilot contract.

Where do you take your FAA medical in Vietnam Well I think you actually refer to the class 1 medical (FAA is a U.S. thing), it's given in a medical facility near the company headquarters in Hanoi, the certifying authority here is the CAAV, or Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam.

Lost in Saigon
5th May 2008, 12:41
You need a Vietnamese Pilot's Licence in order to crew a Vietnamese aircraft.

When you arrive in Vietnam, you do a groundschool in HCMC, and a Vietnamese medical in Hanoi. They will then issue you a temporary Vietnamese pilot's licence based on your ICAO licence. It is valid for 6 months.

Before the 6 months are up, you must go back to Hanoi and write an "Air Law" exam. Once that is completed you will be issued a permanent Vietnamese Airline Transport Licence.

I am not sure if you need a valid medical when you go to Vietnam. You are supposed to have a current type rating, minimum 500 hours on type, and experience on type within the last 6 months.

I left Vietnam in 2006, so things may have changed, but I believe this is accurate.

olepilot
5th May 2008, 15:36
http://http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm223/olepilot/PB270767.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm223/olepilot/PB270767.jpg

packoverheat
5th May 2008, 16:23
hey!

Just wondering...how is flying? Airbus SOPs, I guess...Are there company SOPs regarding AP flying? Are you allowed to fly Athr, Ap, FD off...? Visual approaches? Is there good crm in the cockpit? And how about the FO position...?

Thanks a lot!!

boeingbusbenn
5th May 2008, 19:33
Why on earth would you want to fly the Airbus without the AP and A/T?

packoverheat
5th May 2008, 20:55
sorry, that was'nt too clear... I meant flying without Athr/AP during Take-off, approach (off course, not during cruise...):ok:

thanks

Dream Land
6th May 2008, 03:31
Just wondering...how is flying? Airbus SOPs, I guess...Are there company SOPs regarding AP flying? Are you allowed to fly Athr, Ap, FD off...? Visual approaches? Is there good crm in the cockpit? And how about the FO position...?My 2 cents, the flying is fun and relaxed, CRM is good IMO, flight attendants polite and happy, ground staff throughout the system are very accommodating and easy to work with. If you'd like to tune up your skills by flying manually, don't think you will run into any problems. Visual approaches are acceptable per the FOM, and yes we have FO's. :E

boeingbusbenn
6th May 2008, 04:53
Ooops - I got the punctuation wrong....but the question remains...

Why would you want to "fly" the Airbus without the AP and A/T?

;)

Actually....I see from your name that you probably flew a Boeing in a previous life?

Capt Wally
11th May 2008, 12:34
Hi guys

Just a quick question here & although it most likely will be read as WTF I have to start somewhere.
I am considering obtaining an A320 endo from Canada in the not too distant future & then seeking work in the Asia Pacific region. Obvioulsy I won't have any time on type just the bare endo.And obviously nobody is born with time on type so any sugestions as to how to start the ball rolling & with whom (if any) would consider employing a F/O with no large jet time other than 600 hrs on L35/36?

TT 6000hrs

Tnxs in advance.

capt wally from OZ

Dream Land
11th May 2008, 15:49
My suggestion is to go to the contractors web sites and look at the qualifications required, as an experienced pilot you would need only about 500 in type to qualify for A320 captain at several locations nowadays, Rishworth Aviation and PARC Aviation have plenty of work in this area, good luck.

stork
12th May 2008, 01:14
Rated and Non-Rated A320 Opportunities in Vietnam

http://www.parcaviation.aero/aviation/vietnamairways.htm

stardustcologne
13th May 2008, 15:39
So, Parc is not looking for A330 F/Os for HCMC any more, but Rishworth does. And as far as I could compare both contracts, they are quite the same - more or less.

I would go there immediately, but I am still in a position here in Europe and I can't get out.
So they seem to be always looking for crews, right? OMG, the next time is for me!

Please, how do you guys over there find accomodation? I guess I wouldn't find one out of the local newspapers...
Is there a list or a info-pool for foreign pilots?
And how do you come to work to the airport? By an own car or rather by train?

What about children? Is anyone there with little children? Does it work fine?

Dream Land
13th May 2008, 18:45
Please, how do you guys over there find accomodation?

It's a big city, plenty of real estate agents, you could also google for rental property in Hochiminh.

I guess I wouldn't find one out of the local newspapers...

Yes, here's the link. (http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/)

And how do you come to work to the airport? By an own car or rather by train?

No trains for local transport, mopeds or taxis.

What about children? Is anyone there with little children? Does it work fine?

International schools very expensive, $900 to $1000 per month, per child. As of present, the company isn't making any contribution for tuition, several families living here though, the city is very safe.

Capt Wally
19th May 2008, 10:12
Thanks guys I appreciate the lead/s

CW:ok:

stardustcologne
19th May 2008, 20:58
You go there?
Anyone here who just started this spring and can tell a bit how it goes?

Well, and thanks to dreamland for the answers...

ImperialxRat
19th May 2008, 23:20
Pilots who satisfy these requirements and who would be interested in receiving more details on this assignment should send their current CV quoting reference no. FCA320NR to [email protected]. As soon as more details become available, they will sent to those who satisfy these minimum requirements and who have included a CV with their email.This may sound like a silly question, but what is a CV?

captseth
19th May 2008, 23:27
CV = Carriculum Vita.

ImperialxRat
19th May 2008, 23:36
Unfortunately that isn't making any sense to me. Is it basically asking for a resume and cover letter?

varigflier
20th May 2008, 00:55
Just a resume would be good enough.....;)

squidward
20th May 2008, 01:02
don't bother.... Parc have been waiting since January for them to finalise the contract for type rated with no time on type guys

jumpdrive
20th May 2008, 12:02
its

curriculum vitae

c ya

doggydog
22nd May 2008, 11:52
Gdayz all,

Anybody got any links on retal websites. Just would like to know how much it costs for a 1 bedroom fully furnished apartment these days. Any info is much appreciated.

cheers

Dream Land
22nd May 2008, 13:20
You could do a search on "property rental Hochiminh".

stardustcologne
22nd May 2008, 14:37
Hi!
Please, Dreamland or any other with some information:
What about changing the fleet after some time? Is a crossrating possible?
How many foreign pilots are there in ratio of Vietnamese (in A330 fleet)?

Dream Land
22nd May 2008, 15:18
No foreign pilots on the A330, just Vietnamese Nationals that were CCQ'd from A320. Yes it is possible to change fleets, currently expats have transitioned from ATR to A320, 767 to 777, soon 777 to A320. Generally speaking, there must be a need by the fleet and you must be in good standing with the system chief pilot. Also, you will have to pay for the course.

varigflier
22nd May 2008, 17:00
Are they hiring expats directly into the 777?

stardustcologne
22nd May 2008, 18:36
No foreign pilots on A330? There is a job offer with Rishworth... and I assume that there would be an extention or even a permanent position later on, maybe.
The job description told about limited destinations for A330, short and medium range. To change to long-haul again would mean to change fleet...
Actually I like the A330, but changing to something new can be very interesting.
I would like to stay there for a longer period. I think I have to hurry up then.

Dream Land
23rd May 2008, 02:28
We will take delivery soon on two new A330's, there are no foreigners now but I'm sure they will hire some eventually, yes I believe they are hiring into the 777.

mach 84
23rd May 2008, 12:16
on the 777 they need F/O's, as they will be upgrading some of the local first officers soon.

travelwell72
23rd May 2008, 13:32
i've been reading a couple of comments on the agencies that handle the VAC contracts.

Parc and Rishworth are the two that i keep hearing , but i have yet to hear about Euro- pacific .

i'm going with Euro pacific and was wondering has anyone heard anything negative about this agency? as there is no mention of them on Pprune.

i'm very interested in the 4 wks on 4 wks off that they have to offer .. anyone on that current condition ? and how is it working out ?

thanks

moza
23rd May 2008, 14:28
there is one portuguese captain on the A330 for more than one year already, he was flying the A/C before in another company.

Dream Land
23rd May 2008, 15:29
Only foreigners in the 330 program are trainers to start the program to begin with, no line pilots I'm afraid. Euro-Pacific is one of the four agencies operating here, 4/4 is one of the brand new schedules that have just become available.

D.L.

stardustcologne
23rd May 2008, 17:05
Well, then they might be looking for the contract pilots (A330 Cpts and F/O) from abroad to fill the gap until they hired or trained enough own pilots? Hm. Thought there might be a renewable contract or even a permanent position after a while like I used to know it from other contracts.

travelwell72
24th May 2008, 00:01
4 agencies ??? i thought only Parc , Rish and Euro had the VAC contracts ?? hm,

But D.L have you heard anything about euro pacific in particular ? what's this bunch like ? what's their rep with holding up deals etc ? coz seriously , there are just no posts about these fellas at all anywhere .

having said that , i guess they can't be that bad since i haven't heard anything about them ,, good or bad .

Dream Land
24th May 2008, 04:15
Contracts are almost identical, there is one more agency that can be accessed via the Vietnam Airlines web site, this company has been supplying employees for the company for several years, now pilots too. Euro-Pacific employs several pilots here, they carry the Ace Insurance policy.

travelwell72
24th May 2008, 04:27
thanks D.L

judging from the reply , i guess there aren't too many negative feedback about Euro ...

mach 84
24th May 2008, 05:24
but also not so many positive feedbacks about euro pacific, they might have a good package for health insurance etc, but concerning salary they are always a bit behind, just a bit, but 200.- a month is finally 2400.- a yaer and 12000.- at the end of a 5 year contract.

travelwell72
24th May 2008, 06:44
hm , interesting .. no so in this case , as i've compared all 3 agencies and euro pacific is slightly ahead in this partcular VAC contract.

they are about $100 per month more , not much as you said ..

more concerned about reputation towards pilots , and how euro pacific treats them .

mach 84
24th May 2008, 08:58
maybe they are ahead now, but they have the minority of the contracts in vietnam, most of the people are with parc and rishworth. euro folks are the guys comimg from 767 to 777 about 3 years ago, if you ask some of them about their opinion, they sound not so happy at all. however this is with all contract companies here, every of them wants to have a slice of the cake, as more contract pilots they have placed here as bigger is their revenue. is about 15% of your salary!

stardustcologne
24th May 2008, 11:05
You said it's with all contract companies there. I think it is with all contracts anywhere. And even when you have a permanent position without contract company between you and your salary you will allways find enough reasons to grumble around. This contract doesn't sound too bad. But you have to know what you are doing...

travelwell72
24th May 2008, 11:42
hey Stardust,

whatya mean you have to know what you are doing ?? are there some tricks and traps that go along with these contracts ?

i thought that it was quite clear cut .. especially when i compare the VAC contracts with all 3 agencies .

they all seem quite similar in salary and health insurance etc .
all there is , is deciding on which agency is the best out ofthe 3 .

do share ....

thanks

olepilot
24th May 2008, 12:50
I know that the BUPA u get from Parc is better than Rish. Especially if u r going to pay for the family.

I know that I have not had any problems with Parc for 3 contracts, on the contrary.

I heard some bad stories about another agency.

Take it 4 what it's worth.

stardustcologne
24th May 2008, 13:26
Travelwell...,
oh no, I didn't think about tricks and traps like this now, I don't refuse sharing infos (I certainly don't have more than you do).
Just working for a company with a contract (in case it would be your first time) sometimes means that you have to think about so many details for your own. I am sure Park is one of the better contract companies. But most of you out here know this quite better than me.
As I am always used to have own ensurances I didn't care for these which a contract company might offer for you. Up to now I worked for a smaller one and I had to care for really everything myself - this made things sometimes annoying. And in the end it was not a very fulfilling job regarding the monetary benefits inspite working for this airline was fun. And I met young fellows who thought it is a quick and easy job, but some were worn out after a while because they didn't evaluate all the accompanying factors of such a job - especially when it is only for 6 or twelve months.
But as you say here in this thread: I think the job offer for VAC is a quite good one, for myself the Rishworth one would be fine for me - not because I think they are so much better than the others but they offer a job on the type which I am looking for. Thats all.

travelwell72
24th May 2008, 14:56
thanks Stardust ,

i'll stick with Euro pacific as i spoke with one of the guys there, an ex line capt and he seems to know what he was talking about and the fact that i'm talking with someone who use to be in that field makes more sense than talking with some lady in Parc who is in charge of the VAC contract who really doesn't know exactly what you're trying to explain etc.

jumpdrive
24th May 2008, 16:57
if a particular broker fits your need guys
like some said earlier,
well then go ahead with that one
but like evrywhere else with this agencies
once you are here
its the same thing
it doesnt matter if you are with any of the 4 agencies
theyll treat you equal
which is
they forget about you being here
oh yes, you get paid on time
but thats it
holidays and tickets and simulator
all of that its with the locals
like any other place
the only thing the agencies whant
is they pice of the cake
as simple as that
oh & by the way ****worth changed its insurance company
its now some insurer called Vero................
they claim its member of ISOS , blablabla
any way thought you should know

c ya

Dream Land
25th May 2008, 03:18
talking with some lady in Parc who is in charge of the VAC contract who really doesn't know exactly what you're trying to explain etc.Same same Rishworth Aviation. :bored:

jumpdrive
25th May 2008, 14:33
like i told U before
they will send 1987276365376543 emails
and 176524 phone calls
...................before you sign !!!!

then

by magic they disappear

same with all agencies, or broker, call it whatever
theyre useless
just get paid the rest is with roster , flight crew division here
& mrs Trang for the tickets back home

the rest is B.S.

ia1166
25th May 2008, 16:18
if you've been here a while you'll realise how much better Parc is. pretty much everyone will confirm this.

A319rider
3rd Jun 2008, 11:34
Hi guys,
I've been told by one of the contractors that Vietnam may soon lower their total hours requirements for F/O positions, and maybe even increase the pay.
Anyone with more info about all this?

Thanks, and safe flying.

TheFlyingDJ
3rd Jun 2008, 11:47
I have been told that too........ in october 2007!
No response, reply or any sound yet.

rocketman110
11th Jun 2008, 19:13
Hi all,anyone know what they pay 777 capts,also can someone explain the hiring process including interview/sim/med evaluation,still on the fence about applying so any info would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance....Rocketman

wanty
11th Jun 2008, 22:59
G'day fellas,
little help sought here.First off, if I could find an engineers thread on pprune I would normally start there,but the fact is I can't find one.

So here goes. I am an avionics lame with a new gen rating currently working at QF and am fed up with this mob. Time to take the plunge and do some connie work.

Could have an opportunity to move to Hanoi shortly with a new startup company running A320's and 737NG'S.

Do any of you talk to aussie/brit expat Lames about thier conditions both at work and in life in general for them in vietnam/hanoi etc. ???

Also keen to find out what some of their wives/girlfriends think about thier move there.

Expat schooling and fees,what is the quality of education like for the littlens ????

Lastly now,taxation in Vietnam,any info at all fellas ???

Thanks all in advance.

Hook Down
12th Jun 2008, 01:52
Greetings to all,

Concerning the recent upgrades to CAP on the 320, does anyone know what contract agencies the upgraded FOs were working for? PARC is advertising that some of their guys got upgraded but I have not seen any of the other agencies mentioning this.

Basically, are all the FOs treated equal in terms of upgrade opportunities no matter who they are contracted with?

tknapp
12th Jun 2008, 02:02
How many pilots is VNA hiring a month?

travelwell72
12th Jun 2008, 02:41
this is replying to rocketman questions..

VAC has stopped looking for Capts on the 777 for the mean time and is only interested in filling their f/o needs.

both from Parc and Euro pacific .

confirm-finals?
12th Jun 2008, 08:01
Does anyone know the tax rate for Vietnam? Did a quick search online and found it stood at 35%...

Is that contract offered by Rishworth and Parc's before or after tax?

jumpdrive
12th Jun 2008, 08:05
no expat pays tax over here man
otherwise no one will come here to give away what.....35% je je

stardustcologne
12th Jun 2008, 12:00
As far as I know it is after tax, both.

Does anybody know something about hiring F/O on A330?

Someone from over there told me that there isn't really any need for foreign A330 F/Os but there is still a contract offer...
Well, I won't be so funny and give notice here to get the answer there "hmm, NOW we stopped hiring". Parc did already. They did already withdraw their offer for A330 F/O "sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused to you" :hmm:

ia1166
13th Jun 2008, 02:43
tax is paid by the airline. It's in the contract. What you get on the contract is what you get. no deductions. Actually all expats here do pay tax. Everyone i know. teachers, lawyers doctors. Everyone. The contract states all taxes are paid by the company. In reality though you can't get any proof of this so if you need to show the tax office at home any hard evidence other than your contract, well you can't. A few pilots have been caught out by this. I think the canadians and americans inparticular.

upgrades are not dependant on the contract company. However i do know that PARC are helping their guys with the 15K bond. I'm not sure RAL are helping their guys at all.

We all got a 200 dollar payrise in May. Everyone. The PARC guys were paid this right from the get go. The RAL guys have been told that to get their raise thay will need to sign a 5 year contract. So the PARC chaps are now on more money. It's your choice who you sign with. I'm just passing on some useful ifo that may help you.

NVpilot
13th Jun 2008, 10:42
upgrades are not dependant on the contract company. However i do know that PARC are helping their guys with the 15K bond. I'm not sure RAL are helping their guys at all. Ya right, Rishworth helping their pilots :yuk:, Rishworth threatens their pilots, helping is not in their vocabulary, Parc Aviation is going out of their way by giving the guys a couple of months to get the bond together. :D Easy choice to make.

flyboy320
13th Jun 2008, 11:09
upgrades are not dependant on the contract company. However i do know that PARC are helping their guys with the 15K bond. I'm not sure RAL are helping their guys at all.
Ya right, Rishworth helping their pilots , Rishworth threatens their pilots, helping is not in their vocabulary, Parc Aviation is going out of their way by giving the guys a couple of months to get the bond together. Easy choice to make.

You are fully right NVpilot: Rishworth threatens pilots to stop training when you can´t come up with your paperwork for a bond right away. There is no help what for ever.

ia1166
14th Jun 2008, 00:30
Has RAl been threatening? I've not heard that and i'd find it very hard to believe. On the whole they're nice to deal with as are Parc. If you have any facts please lets hear them.

As far as i'm concerned, and i have worked for both, they offer a different package so you have to look closely at each and decide which suits you better. The insurances offered differ in a lot of ways and they both have good points and bad points Unfortunatley this requires a bit of research and a basic ability to read english.

As far as tax goes, this also requires a basic ability to read the contract before you sign it. And understand it. Vietnam Airlines pays all your tax liabilities for you. If you come from a first world country and have to show your home IRS that tax has been paid then you need to have a close look at this. The Canadians, Americans, Germans i think and certainly the Australians all have to be careful to ensure they don't have a tax liability at home. Even more so for the australians since jetstar rocked up. Vietnam is now on the tax office radar.

Don't be so naive to think that parc/ral/airline management and the irs i should expect don't read this forum. So please lets hear some facts and not idle slander. Rishworth threatened me followed by a bunch of smilies belongs in a adolescent chat room. Surely it's normal to provide a bond before training starts. PARC are providing the bond first and getting their pilots to pay them back. If RAL don't want to do this then your argument is with VAC, not RAL.

iflysky
14th Jun 2008, 16:05
Question about travel benefits.
So you get ID90 and ID75 tickets only on VN network. Do you get any other ID's on other carriers? Trying to figure out what would be the best way to get to US and back.Anything with American Airlines?
Another question about health benefits. I know there are some differences between the two contracts, but on average how much extra do you pay for the family.
Thanks

jumpdrive
14th Jun 2008, 18:42
YES only ID90 & ID75 for your family members on VAC network
no agreement with other companies (sorry no AA)
the rumor is U.S.A. flights by end of year.........just rumor
plus every time you fly on your scheduled time OFF
its a free ticket for you, and 99.9% you'll go on Business Class
the nearest will be CDG o FRA to U.S.A......or Japan if you live in the other coast

kiwilad
14th Jun 2008, 22:52
If anyone is able to email the PARC and RAL contracts that would be much appreciated?
I am interested in the ATR 72 CPT position with the opportunity to upgrade to A320.
Thanks in advance

KindolFaret
15th Jun 2008, 02:43
Hi guys,

I'm based in SGN with Jetstar 737 and I can tell you that VN needs huge amount of pilots. First because some are leaving and second because you can see several aircraft grounded because they don't have crews to operate them.

I recommend coming to SGN, things are really cheap... specially if you know where to search and you don't need to live in your 300 m2 house with swimingpool and tennis court.

Here in Jetstar they are also looking for pilots and with the introduction of the first A320 in one month it seems that they will have to pay the same as VN Airlines pays to CPT and FOs. I believe they're still looking for DEC for the 737, don't know about the req.

travelwell72
15th Jun 2008, 03:11
what no smimming pool and no tennis courts !!!! :=

huckleberry58
16th Jun 2008, 20:06
Hi guys. What is the pay like for a B777 FO? Do they pay per diem and/or outstation allowance? So how much will I have in my hand at the end of the month? Thanks.

Dream Land
17th Jun 2008, 04:36
Think it's between 9 and 10, that includes everything, no allowance on the road, rent is between 500 and 1000 for a decent place, hotel contracts down route are five star with free breakfast.

If anyone is able to email the PARC and RAL contracts that would be much appreciated?
I am interested in the ATR 72 CPT position with the opportunity to upgrade to A320.
Thanks in advance Can't help you with the current contract, the upgrade opportunity isn't something that will be included in a contract but after a year or two on the line it may be available.

iflysky
17th Jun 2008, 06:30
The contract states $8000 for A320 FO for the 6/2 option. Is that what you get into the pocket or are there any additional deductions, say for the contract agency folks.

Lost in Saigon
17th Jun 2008, 09:49
You get it all. $8000 is after the contractor takes their cut.

I have heard that some contracts are now being paid in Euros. Can anyone confirm that?

varigflier
19th Jun 2008, 01:01
To be more exact it's 9,464 USD for the 6/2 option B777 F/O.

ia1166
19th Jun 2008, 03:04
really. thats almost the same as a 320 skipper who works considerably harder.

The 6 and 2 is not as utopian as it sounds. for a start you cannot get days off either side of your rotation so the first and last days are spent travelling. Not so bad for the aussies but not good for the europeans/americans (north and south). They also include rotation days as your days off allocation. you get 7 days off a month here, but if you spread your rotation over 2 months ie the last week of one month and the first of the next, you don't get any more days off for those 2 months. Worse case scenario you get a total, thats, TOTAL number of days off a year of 114, of which 84 are rotation of which 12 of those are spent travelling. That leaves 72 days free at home. Even an office worker gets more than that. Couple that with 1 week rosters, massive roster disruption call in sick and they change it to a day off, you can't get 2 days off together unless you beg so you can't get out of the city, no staff travel benefits, and the worst 4 sector day flying, Vietnam Airlines is not Utopia. i think most of the guys on this thread are in a bit of a honeymoon period.