PDA

View Full Version : ortho-k

ItsAWingThing
10th Oct 2007, 15:18
Hey guys, orthokeratology is a method of correcting slight refraction problems in the eye by wearing contact overnight for a course of a few weeks. the contacts slowly reshape your cornea to remove refraction errors. Have any of you used this ethod and got into the RAF aircrew. I spoke to an opthalmic surgeon and he said there were many people (im sceptical). Anyhow..what are your thoughts?..It would be great if this could get me over the borderline to become a WSO (my dream)...its only my astigmatism that is a problem..i think its about 2D..

Any advice welcome..thanks

Formski
11th Oct 2007, 03:28
Hi ItsAWingThing,

Sorry I can't speak for the RAF, but here in Australia the RAAF (and all the military services) have a total ban on anyone using Ortho-K for aircrew of any type, and I think for any ADF personal, although I'm not 100% sure on that. The USAF I believe has no such ban though.

Thankfully down here the eyesight myopia requirement is slightly leaner (6/12 uncorrected, 6/6 corrected) and I managed to scrape through the eyesight requirement.

Formski

Like This - Do That
11th Oct 2007, 05:25
Formski

Probably not a blanket ban for the ADF; I'm living proof. However, its a useless, even dangerous, method of correcting vision in the field. I go back to using glasses when I'm in the weeds.

ItsAWingThing sorry I can't shed any light on RAF thoughts.

wire12
11th Oct 2007, 10:50
yeah thats right

FATTER GATOR
11th Oct 2007, 11:24
Get down to the AFCO and ask them. They will get you a definitive yes/no.