PDA

View Full Version : Switching domain & email

frostbite
10th Oct 2007, 14:57
I have had enough of my current ISP (intermittent service provider is what they've become) and am on the point of signing up for anytime dialup with another.

However, the proposed new ISP don't do hosting, so where to take the domain name? Don't at this stage want web space but do want to keep my existing email address.

Must be reliable and cheap.

spannersatcx
10th Oct 2007, 16:03
I would imagine you e-mail is part of your ISP, i.e. frostbite@isp etc if so then you won't be able to access it as far as I am aware as you will have to access their pop server and if you are connected via another isp it won't work.

I could be wrong but that's what happened to me a few years ago.

frostbite
10th Oct 2007, 16:54
No, it's a .co.uk in my name.

Duckbutt
10th Oct 2007, 17:06
I have the arrangement you want with Madasafish with them hosting my domain (a co.uk) as part of the package. Sign up price is (I think) £17.99 p month for downloading up to 5 gb but after being with them over 12 month I negotiated this down to £12.99 p month. The service has been good - on switching to 'up to 8 mbs' I had severe download speed problems the cause of which was after nearly three months of investigating, tracked down to faulty BT wiring in my house.

If it is of importance to you be aware though, they are in the process of being taken over by BT.

BLUE SKY THINKER
10th Oct 2007, 23:26
http://order.1and1.co.uk/oneandone_uk/img/wh5header/logo.gif

http://www.1and1.co.uk (http://www.1and1.co.uk/)
----------------------------------

Great service from 1&1 for years.

When you get onto the website click Domains tab: transfer and run your '.co.uk' for £2.99+vat per year.

For an extra £0.69+vat (!) per month, click Mail (tab) > [Instant Mail] continue... and take up the mail hosting option for your address.

The combination of the two makes you fully independent on this front for life, however many times you change your ISP.

Tinstaafl
11th Oct 2007, 02:44
I have my domain names hosted with www.easily.co.uk. Simple to administe & not too expensive. No matter which ISP I use to gain internet access, my public email addresses never need to change. All I have to do is change my domain's forwarding address to my currrent ISP.

Parapunter
11th Oct 2007, 06:10
I can recommend 1&1. They've hosted my email & website for five years & nary a problem.

Captain Gadget
11th Oct 2007, 06:41
Hi Frostbite

Like you, I have my own private domain (also no website, just for email) hosted by one provider and use a completely separate ISP.

Whilst my email has normally been pretty reliable, I am in the middle of what appears to be the first significant email problem in 12 months at the moment so I won't mention any provider names here - although I may do so later if and when all is satisfactorily resolved.

The only thing that I would add to the good advice from other PPRuNers above is that you should remember that you can transfer your domain name from one host to another in exactly the same way as you can your custom with an ISP (try Googling 'transfer domain name' and you'll see what I mean). AFAIK no company 'owns' your domain name, your host only maintains your registration of the domain name and rents you server space for it - so whatever you do in the short term willl not be irrevocable.

My advice is to try it and see.

Gadget :ok:

frostbite
11th Oct 2007, 11:48
Thanks for all the replies!

I would have been on earlier, but all last night I was looking at 'verifying user name & password' which is as far as it got, if it even got that far on Madasafish dialup, Duckbutt. I've been with them for years and they've got steadily worse.

I'm looking at Fast4net as the new ISP but they don't do hosting, hence the question.

Turn It Off
11th Oct 2007, 19:20
Frostbite, How much space do you need, I'll put you on my webhosting package if its limited space, I'm running out of room!

TIO

frostbite
11th Oct 2007, 20:22
Thanks.

I suspect the answer is 'next to nothing' - I'm just looking for a plain page with a 'click to contact admin' button, but what I do need is a POP3 facility for mail @mydomainname.co.uk.

Turn It Off
16th Oct 2007, 10:22
Not a problem.

I am currently setting up a new server which should be in at the rack sometime by the end of the week, so, expect to be up and running by the end of next week by the time I have installed everything and am happy with security etc.

If you want to go ahead then drop me a PM with your domain name, your name and a link to the webpage you woukd like on there so that I can set you up brief details for an account.

Cheers

TIO

whiz
16th Oct 2007, 10:47
Not a problem.
I am currently setting up a new server which should be in at the rack sometime by the end of the week, so, expect to be up and running by the end of next week by the time I have installed everything and am happy with security etc.
If you want to go ahead then drop me a PM with your domain name, your name and a link to the webpage you woukd like on there so that I can set you up brief details for an account.
Cheers
TIO

Not forgetting bank account and credit card details ;)

Turn It Off
16th Oct 2007, 11:21
If only!!

I do this for the love of it!!

I tell em that in work too ;)

Keef
16th Oct 2007, 21:39
I use several hosting services for different bits of what I do, and they are all fine. They're small outfits, and I suspect most folks haven't even heard of them.

The potential snag is that your present hosting company might claim that they own your .co.uk registration. It's easy to check - pm me the full domain name if you don't know how to, and I'll look it up for you. I'm sure the others who've replied could do the same.

I know many folks who've got fed up with "large" ISPs lately and moved - I'm now using UKFSN (an Entanet reseller) - not the cheapest, but highly reliable and helpful. Check the performance on adslguide.org.uk or (in my view, more detailed and helpful) here (http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php).