PDA

View Full Version : Reds too British?

cyclic gal
10th Oct 2007, 11:47
Just been copied into this mail. Crazy!

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British". Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport

have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain. The Red Arrows have been excellent

ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world. The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular. It is to be hoped that common sense prevails

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link below

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

Megaton
10th Oct 2007, 12:08
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/teamnews/index.cfm?storyid=66845B01-1143-EC82-2E376B2F89D95041

There has been a lot of speculation recently both in the media and online regarding whether we have been banned from displaying at the 2012 Olympics, and we are getting an increasingly large amount of enquiries from people wondering whether or not to sign online petitions. We are very happy to tell you that the story is complete rubbish! It’s far too early for either us or the organising committee of London 2012 to discuss any participation by the Red Arrows in the celebrations. We plan our display season one year in advance and so we’re currently busy trying to organise our 2008 display season. We would like to thank everyone for their support – but hope that the truth behind this story will put everyone’s concerns to rest.

lordsummerisle
10th Oct 2007, 12:36
FFS, how many times can the same non-story be published on pprune!

gareth herts
10th Oct 2007, 13:35
Someone even asked the question of the three MP's on Five Live with Simon Mayo today - and they all answered it!

Incredible how this one has perpetuated - despite denials from even The Reds themselves!

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2007, 13:57
It's fast becoming an urban legend, like the aircraft carrier/lighthouse story (http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp)

The real reason the Reds won't be displaying in London in 2012 is because they will have been disbanded by then. Obvious really.

cyclic gal
12th Oct 2007, 13:54
LSI FFS if i'd known it was a non story I wouldn't have posted it but being a rumour network I thought we just might eke out the truth. If you've nothing better to say then I suggest say nothing. I notice the subject has been posted again, perhaps you should give then the benefit of your unusefulness..

Megaton
12th Oct 2007, 13:57
If you've nothing better to say then I suggest say nothing.

Excellent advice I would have thought :E

lordsummerisle
12th Oct 2007, 14:14
Cyclic,
Advice you would do well to take yourself
"I notice the subject has been posted again, perhaps you should give then the benefit of your unusefulness.."
I believe that posting, as with all the others pre-dated yours by some time, possibly you should have looked at the previous ones and decided whether it was worth posting on at all

Duckandcover
13th Oct 2007, 05:25
One of our councillors wrote a letter into the local rag the other day asking readers to sign the petition, 2 weeks or so since the petition was classified as "b*llocks".

:ugh:

I expect it will be going round on the e-mail until 2012.

Abusing_the_sky
13th Oct 2007, 05:43
As long as Ronaldo and Vidic are playing for them they can't be too British...oh and Nani, Anderson ( The Scottish Brazilian ) etc etc