PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter six ship

harrogate
10th Oct 2007, 11:23
Just gone over my head in Humberston, near Cleethorpes. Heading out to sea. Really lovely sight in the hazy sunshine.

2 x Chinooks, 2x Sea Kings and 2 x Lynx.

Operating out of Kirton Lindsey, apparently. RMAS Newton is sat near the Humber Mouth, apparently. Slung loads going over all day yesterday.

airborne_artist
10th Oct 2007, 13:19
Newton is used for training "amphibious forces" :ok:

Taffer
10th Oct 2007, 17:06
I'm sure many forum members could tell you what they were doing, but they'd have to kill you afterwards.

Just keep an eye out of your window for black gunships in the sky, or black Omegas on your driveway.

Navy_Adversary
10th Oct 2007, 17:32
Monday morning about 1030hrs, 2 Navy Lynx plus one Sea King heading north of Leicester, probably from Yeovilton to the Humber then?

YorkshireTown
10th Oct 2007, 23:31
"I'm sure many forum members could tell you what they were doing, but they'd have to kill you afterwards.

Just keep an eye out of your window for black gunships in the sky, or black Omegas on your driveway."

And there I was thinking it was the heavily NOTAMed and local press-released Exercise Hawser Link.

http://ukga.com/airfield/coningsby/notam

You military lot love to sound all mysterious :rolleyes:

coley chaos
11th Oct 2007, 08:21
I remember seeing multiple Chinooks, pinger Sea Kings, Mk 4 Sea Kings, Lynx Mk 3s with ifra reds all operating out of HMS Osprey (Portland) before her eventual closure. The aircraft were operating on a weekend at first in the summer and VERY close to the public viewing area there. Lots of people turned up to see the activity (Grans, Grandads with associated Grandchildren with camping seats and cameras!!!:=)

In the old SAR hangers lots of moustached black clad nasty looking types were milling around looking nasty. The helos started winding up and with the wind direction all the cab doors were facing the public who were by now pressing their noses and shutter buttons against the simple chain link fence only 40ft away from the nearest nasty and at the awesome sight of some 60 nasties walking out to their mounts for the off.

We were so close to the action that two aircrew came saunting over to ask the Grandads to stop filming and taking pictures, but this was futile work as by now 100 Grans and Grandads were now fully involved.

The aircrew strode off and 5 minutes later a security landrover drew up with two portly navy lads, who then tried to comandeer any camera that they saw. The Grans and Grandads had a great time scurrying around hiding from the security bods using their grandchildren as human shields.

The formation up and went with the scenario being repeated for 4 or 5 days, but with better security arrangements!!. Portland has had its share of SF activity. I once saw 5 C130s disgorge boats, equipment and para blokes into Lyme Bay close to Portland Harbour and in the Harbour itself on another occaision. There used to be a SF static training ship moored up for MCT work, which was taken away some years ago, but has now been replaced with the old Sir Tristram i beleive for the same activity.

Was great to see these guys doing their stuff and gave me good excuses to get away from work and see something altogether more gratifying and spectacular.

Coley.

harrogate
11th Oct 2007, 12:29
Back again today, minus one Lynx.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/harrogate/apocalypsethen.jpg

Wrathmonk
11th Oct 2007, 12:43
Y Town

As you seem to have the answers, what exactly is Ex Hawser Link then?

harrogate
11th Oct 2007, 12:50
Lynx heading back inland now.

The Hawser Link lowdown, courtesy of Mr Razor...

"A Special Forces Assault Exercise for Oil/Gas Rigs and Ships.
They are working from Kirton Lindsey (as per NOTAM) with RMAS Newton, the Special Forces Support Ship (or Acoustic/cable laying ship as the Navy want to make you think).

Hawser Link usually takes place from Altcar Barracks and into the Morecombe Bay Gas Field. But they do a few other locations each year.

RMAS Newton and RMAS Salmaid are the UK Special Forces Support Ships. Newton and Salmaid support all the Hawser Link, Lobster Pot/Net and so on exercises."

Razor61
11th Oct 2007, 14:40
OPSEC my ar$e!!! Who the F&*^ are you?

NOTAMs are full of all the info you need (Including the Oil Rig Name and location and the formation of helo's and where they came from) and a quick Google comes up for Newton with photos and the gen you need for Newton and SF Support Ops!!!!
You only have to sit on a cliff top down in the SW and watch Chinooks with 'chaps' fast roping down on Newton to realise what they are up to! Or to watch them in full view of Devonport and Plymouth Sound wandering around on deck and timing themselves jumping in their ribs attached to the hull!! If you do a quick Google yourself you won't get ya ar$e in a twist!!

:rolleyes:

harrogate
11th Oct 2007, 14:42
Guidedbyweapons is a drama queen.

Don't worry about it.