PDA

View Full Version : Mentors needed!

volks
10th Oct 2007, 01:08
Hi,
I'm currently working in W. Africa and would like to try India when the contract is up. I've surffed these sites,and the Indian airline sites for some time now and am still unsure of wether or not I have the qualifications for some of the Indian airlines, and if I do qual how I go about getting on.
Im runing at around 6000 TT, to much turbo prop, an ATP with SA-227 and 737 type. Any direction would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Volks

Nevrekar
10th Oct 2007, 01:49
You seem to have the total time requirement. However one would need to get some more information regarding your time and licenses before you can be properly directed.

1. Licenses--Are they FAA JAA? What country issued them.
2. Medical-Same goes for that.
3. 6000 TT--Break it down--How much PIC/SIC.
4. Time in type: How much in each aircraft and in what capacity?

To be hired as a Capt here you either need 500 hrs or more time in type (PIC) that the airline utilizes or in some cases they will hire you if you have very high PIC time in big jet aircraft.

Some Airlines are hiring F/O's as well without too much jet time.

volks
10th Oct 2007, 02:34
As far as jet time goes, I have none. My 737 type was all sim, FAA. You see this is the problem, elementry questions for those of you who have been trained and working outside of the US are a bit more perplexing for me. I am currently under FAR 91/135 reg in Africa. So I'm not so wll versed in what JAA even is. I guess the bottom line is can I get on with an Indian carrier (FO or Capt) with no jet but majority PIC and how do I go about this if qualified, ie send resume, show up at the desk and what the hell is a cadet progrm? Does this apply to me because Im US or is it a primary student program?

Thanks for your PMs an responses.

You seem to have the total time requirement. However one would need to get some more information regarding your time and licenses before you can be properly directed.

1. Licenses--Are they FAA JAA? What country issued them.
2. Medical-Same goes for that.
3. 6000 TT--Break it down--How much PIC/SIC.
4. Time in type: How much in each aircraft and in what capacity?

To be hired as a Capt here you either need 500 hrs or more time in type (PIC) that the airline utilizes or in some cases they will hire you if you have very high PIC time in big jet aircraft.

Some Airlines are hiring F/O's as well without too much jet time.

MAS Guy
10th Oct 2007, 02:43
cadet program is for student pilot or guys with 200hrs. You have more than that, so try to get command or even F/O is a good start if you can get jets. Try to avoid turboprop. The hours doesn't count much nowadays.

Nevrekar
10th Oct 2007, 03:10
I am not aware of any outfit in India flying the SA-227. So essentially even though you have a B737 type rating you will qualify for an F/O position
provided a carrier is willing to hire you with no jet time and no time in the aircraft they fly. Pprune has a couple of sites (Randhem etc) who are advertising F/O positions. The F/O pool for non-Indians is soon to dry up as everyone and their brother (literally) is going to flight school. They have no reason to hire someone non-Indian unless you have some time and experience
in the A/C they operate. Sorry that this is not the news you probably wanted to hear. You may have to self-sponsor yourself through a A-320 or B737NG course to be competitive. Don't give up. All you need is 1 YES! If you are able to get some ATR time or any other time on more widely used aircraft it would help your cause.

Rotorhead1026
10th Oct 2007, 03:17
You'd almost certainly need 500 PIC in a 737 or A320 for the left seat here in India. I don't know for certain about right seat, but I've seen only a couple of expat f/o's over here (don't know what equipment and don't remember the carrier), so there aren't many.

If you've got a lot of turboprop PIC, you might be able to get an ATR left seat. There are a couple of carriers that operate both ATR's and jets -that would at least get your foot in the door, with at least a mathematical possibility of switching over when your contract is up. I don't know if this has ever been done, or what the minimum qualifications are, and am pretty much speaking from ignorance. Anybody from Kingfisher or Jet want to speak up?

volks
10th Oct 2007, 11:06
OK cool not all gloom and doom anyway. Where can I pick up some quick dirty 737 time overseas? It doesnt matter if its India, China, Africa........