PDA

View Full Version : ONE Life

TiPwEiGhT
9th Oct 2007, 22:29
Good show just on the Beeb about helicopter pilot's in Afganistan. After seeing the things they have to put up with, they get my respect. Horrible what's happening over there, good luck to them all and stay safe.

Anyone know if there will be a repeat?

TiP:ok:

Whirlygig
9th Oct 2007, 22:53
An interesting and well made documentary giving an insight to life in TalibanLand. Well done programme makers and well done to the guys out there.

It doesn't tend to be the sort of programme that the Beeb do repeat; if they do, it'll be at an obscure hour on BBC4.

Cheers

Whirls

Skidkid
9th Oct 2007, 23:22
Yes, an excellent documentary about 27 Sqn RAF which I wish I had recorded.

It was interesting to see in the credits that it was filmed, produced and directed by one man, Olly Lambert. Very well done, Olly.

Beeb - If you do read this, please show it again.

Whirlygig
9th Oct 2007, 23:30
If you write to the BBC (or the production company), they may be able to tell you if it will be repeated. If they receive enough requests, they may consider a repeat if that had not previously been their plan!

Cheers

Whirls

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
10th Oct 2007, 12:03
Awesome programme.

I could easily have watched it for hours and hours.

Respect to all involved.

TiPwEiGhT
11th Oct 2007, 00:16
A show I wish will be shown again, if not more on the life of the helo pilots over there. The programme alone proved me how easy life is in the civi world. We complain about passengers, compamy policies, but nothing could surely compare to what those guys go through.
A standard job in civi world, photography, lifting or corporate transport somewhere, beats a motar striken zone in Afganistan. Those guys get my vote for honours every time!
TiP:ok:

aeromys
11th Oct 2007, 08:18
Great program - it's on BBC's "Catch Up TV" for the next seven days if you missed it.

teeteringhead
11th Oct 2007, 14:47
There's quite a long thread about the prog on the Mil Forum. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=295566)Also some good info on downloading from You Tube (where it is in several bits); particularly useful for Mac owners, some of whom have difficulty with the Beeb's watch again facility.

But do watch it somehow........:ok:

g-mady
1st Dec 2007, 08:05
Now posted on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZz0IXqCGv8

Great programme!

MADY

on21
1st Dec 2007, 12:36
The pre flight about 4 minutes in episode 4 on youtube, when they are on the casualty evacuation is excellent.

It just a shame the lad didn't make it.

Respect to all involved.

toolguy
1st Dec 2007, 20:26
Well done! Thanks Brits! :D

widgeon
2nd Dec 2007, 12:39
excellent , thanks for posting the link.
I did not realize a hook could outrun an apache.

22clipper
8th Dec 2007, 02:04
A couple of facts there. One thing I already knew, nineteen year olds are still dying in wars and one thing I didn't know, a chinny can out run an apache.

Flyin'ematlast
8th Dec 2007, 19:28
There is a very interesting letter written in to this months "Rotor and wing" by Staff Sgt. Dean Penrod, Army National Guard, Reno, Nev. who seems to have personal experience of chinooks. He says in relation to Chinooks being used for combat search-and-rescue (quote from R & W):

"While the Chinook is “heavier” than other Army aircraft, it is far from heavy when you consider power-to-weight ratio. Keep in mind the highly efficient, tandem-rotor design. There is no loss of power to a tail rotor as with the H-60. Of the Chinook’s power, 100 percent is dedicated to lift. Anybody who has crewed a Chinook or flown in formation with one knows it is fast and maneuverable. Don’t be deceived by their looks":ok:

Judging from his comments and the video of the RAF from Afghanistan it seems that the Chinook may be old but it can still show some newer designs a thing or two!

Now how do I get to actually RIDE in one as a PPL(H)?:cool:

Ian.

ShyTorque
8th Dec 2007, 19:48
Now how do I get to actually RIDE in one as a PPL(H)?

Join the air cadets?

chcoffshore
8th Dec 2007, 21:00
Join up! Then you can live the dream:E

somepitch
9th Dec 2007, 00:29
i wish there were more shows like that on tv. very well made.

airborne_artist
9th Dec 2007, 11:29
Now how do I get to actually RIDE in one as a PPL(H)?

My last trip in one of Betty's flying machines was in a Chinook. Flight lasted all of four minutes, and I landed solo.

Work that one out!

serf
9th Dec 2007, 11:59
You jumped out!

Flyin'ematlast
9th Dec 2007, 16:20
Chcoffshore

If only it were so simple. I doubt they'd have me at 42!:\ I seriously considered joining up at 18 to get to fly military helis but instead stayed on the family farm and the rest is (my) history.

I did see something about the lads at the HCGB annual competition and meeting getting a flight in one once though? Anyone know more?

Ian.

chcoffshore
9th Dec 2007, 16:54
Ah well you can't have everything:hmm:;) There is always the fight sim!:8