PDA

View Full Version : 'United Kingdom Supports You' Program

bakseetblatherer
9th Oct 2007, 20:11
As a now fully professional computer geek, I spotted this:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/oct07/10-09AmericaSupportsYouPR.mspx
America Supports You, with MS now onboard, giving support to the US armed forces. I'd be interested to hear from those in the Brit forces about the support that they get from UK companies, surely there is a similar program;)
Can't be worse than the support from the gov't and treasury!

seanbean
9th Oct 2007, 22:38
Quiet isn't it?

Still, I suppose "silence speaks volumes..."

Seldomfitforpurpose
9th Oct 2007, 23:03
I think you will find that the Forces Discount Handbook offers up a whole host of far better savings :(

http://www.forcesdiscount.com/index.htm?gclid=CLKhmaT2go8CFQVCMAodsU5Vtw

Check this out for some of the fantastic savings................but do not do any web based comparisons..................to avoid disappointment :{

SirToppamHat
9th Oct 2007, 23:14
The only way I am aware of MS supporting the UK forces is in the Home Use Scheme, where you can buy MS Office 2007 for use at home for about £20. However, it's hardly the same thing, and I'm pretty sure it applies to all large companies using MS products.

But let's not turn this into a crusade against MS ... it's more about the way in which the UK as a whole supports us, and that's quietly. I don't expect our people to be applauded in the supermarket or cheered when getting petrol, but we haven't exactly been helped in recent years by the enforced withdrawal from sight brought about by covering-up when off unit ... a policy still being briefed and directed at some units!!! Unless you are right next to one of the few bases we have left in the UK, a serviceman in uniform is more likely to be met with a funny look than a pat on the back.

Coming back to the original line though, I think it's fair to say that the Armed Forces Discount Brochure was a genuine attempt to enlist the support of companies, but in most cases the same deals, or better, are available to the general public if they are prepared to ask. Companies supporting such schemes still want your cash, and are disingenuous when they offer a 10 or 20% discount. Compare this with the American approach: 'We are proud to off free entry to the whole family of active service personnel'. It may be that this increases their profits by improving their profile, but I wouldn't be surprised if some UK companies felt that supporting the armed forces might upset some potential customers.

It would be nice to see some Government leadership here, after all, they seem to base most decisions on the needs of industry, so surely they are owed a few favours - then again we aren't exactly well supported by the current bunch of chimps, so what should we expect.

Just out of interest, has anyone seen the Secretary of State for Defence recently?

Rant off, time for bed.

STH

Melchett01
9th Oct 2007, 23:48
Just out of interest, has anyone seen the Secretary of State for Defence recently

Who? Oh yes him. Have you tried Scotland?

Occasional Aviator
10th Oct 2007, 09:09
Or how about a bit of help with private companies - like not being able to get a phone connection, load, HP or similar if you haven't had a UK address for a few years because you've been serving abroad? Or easing tax return deadlines if you're deployed on ops? Or rebates on car tax, TV licences etc? how about getting companies to acknowledge that someone's permanent address can be a Mess if they're single? Or that moving every two to three years doesn't mean you're a poor credit risk? etc etc