PDA

View Full Version : Royal naval game

snowy_owl
8th Oct 2007, 17:16
Hi there, i'm not military (yet) but i was speaking to a chap on holiday about the fleet air arm, me wanting to join and what-not, and he mentioned a game that the navy guys play on the ships.

He said its called 'Hookers' or something like that, can anyone shed any light on this?

cheers

SO

Flik Roll
8th Oct 2007, 17:25
Uckers perhaps?

airborne_artist
8th Oct 2007, 17:40
Rules of uckers (http://www.rnsubmus.co.uk/collection/The%20rules%20of%20Uckers.htm)

BBJS
8th Oct 2007, 17:47
If in doubt there are the rules under the board to consult :ok:

MAD Boom
8th Oct 2007, 18:00
No, I think he was right first time; 'Hookers' is definitely a game they would be familiar with.

8th Oct 2007, 18:28
More likely to be 'Your turn in the barrel tonight me hearty':)

Vatican69
8th Oct 2007, 18:33
do you still get blowbacks in hookers?:}

Axel-Flo
8th Oct 2007, 18:38
Rubiks Uckers, reversals and suck backs, mixi blobs Night Uckers(courtesy of cyalume) and end the evenings ents with a quick game of nails.................:ok:

1 Zulu Alpha
8th Oct 2007, 19:02
WAFU's rules are all wrong:=
Always pray to the Lord God of Uckers before taking on the Old and Bold in the mess

1ZA

Fg Off Max Stout
8th Oct 2007, 19:02
Maybe he wanted to play 'find the golden rivet' with you. Was he a friendly, tactile type, maybe with the air of a benevolent uncle or scout leader?

wobble2plank
9th Oct 2007, 07:22
There are rules to Uckers????? :eek:

FAA rules ALWAYS win, cheat like buggery if you can get away with it ;)

Hookers sounds like fun, I think a suck back would be a more interesting rule than the blowback.

One up the spout, no mixies.

W2P

Wensleydale
9th Oct 2007, 08:17
I mentioned Uckers on a higher thread, and behold - here it is!

SPOOKY!!:\

Occasional Aviator
9th Oct 2007, 08:56
Can anyone explain the origin of the term 'uckers'? to what does this word refer (other than a compex 4-player game of turbo ludo)?

bayete
9th Oct 2007, 09:27
Could it have somthing to do with this...?
Found at www.wordorigins.org
What exactly is the old army game, and where does the term come from? There are several definitions, all stemming from the same source.
It is first recorded in the 1890s, but in reference to the US Civil War some thirty years earlier. As for meaning, first it can refer to any of a number of specific gambling games, chuck-a-luck (a dice game), poker, or a shell game—so long as the game is played ruthlessly or the game is rigged. From John Philip Quinn’s 1890 Fools of Fortune:
Chuck-a-luck...is sometimes designated as “the old army game,” for the reason that soldiers at the front were often wont to beguile the tedium of bivouac by seeking relief from monotony in its charms.
Second, it can mean any form of trickery or deception. This later sense (about 1910) grew out of the first—gamblers would cheat. From the New York Evening Journal of 23 April 1910:
Possums are too sly to be caught on this old army game.
Third, by 1930 the meaning had shifted to that of evading responsibility, to passing the buck. The gambling sense gave way in favor of another activity for which soldiers are known for, but retained the connotation of ruthlessness. From Theodore Fredenburgh’s 1930 Soldiers March!:
It’s the old army game: first, pass the buck; second: never give a sucker an even break.
All three senses, a ruthless game, trickery, or passing the buck, are still in use today.
(Source: Historical Dictionary of American Slang)

snowy_owl
9th Oct 2007, 10:06
Cheers for the help guys, yeah the guy who told me about it had an odd accent, so the 'Uck' sounded like 'Hook'! :}

Do you think it's worth bringing up in the mess on my POAC at culdrose?

6Z3
9th Oct 2007, 10:18
Wardroom. It's called the Wardroom.

mustflywillfly
9th Oct 2007, 10:35
Snow Owl, before you suggest a game of Uckers it is tradition that you ring the bell in the wardroom first.

This just lets everyone know that you want a game.

good luck.

:cool:

MFWF

snowy_owl
9th Oct 2007, 10:51
:hmm: is that what the bell really means? i can imagine a trick being played somewhere along the line! :E

Gainesy
9th Oct 2007, 11:37
Its an old tradition to let the Wardroom know that they have a "Guest Aboard" so that they can share drinks with you.

Bob the Doc
9th Oct 2007, 14:48
Interestingly, the RAF have a similar response to ringing the bell in the mess

anotherthing
9th Oct 2007, 15:13
I concur with all above Snowy - ring the bell, it assures you of a warm welcome, it's a great way to meet new 'friends'

6Z3
9th Oct 2007, 15:26
Be aware the heating won't go on in the public rooms until well into November; so wear your fleece and/or scarf at the uckers board, not forgetting of course to "excuse your rig" to the senior officer present in the correct uniform.

PingDit
9th Oct 2007, 15:38
You're getting some really good advice on here. Ring the bell as soon as you think there is a good team present. Don't need to ask permission, they'll think your really great for starting the game. Hope you win!

snowy_owl
9th Oct 2007, 16:41
Now i'm slightly worried :sad:.

SOTV
9th Oct 2007, 16:52
I'm near wetting myself.

:}:}

Green Flash
9th Oct 2007, 17:16
Now i'm slightly worried .

No need to be concerned! Just ring the bell and someone, well, quite a few actually, will be along to help you.

snowy_owl
9th Oct 2007, 17:21
Does it mean i'm getting the round in or something like that?

Green Flash
9th Oct 2007, 17:23
You'll certainly get around the bar meeting your new friends, that's for sure.