PDA

View Full Version : New Moderator

Heliport
6th Oct 2007, 23:18
After almost seven years, the time has come for me to hang up my Mod's hat. I originally intended to do it for about three years. :)

At my request, PPRuNe Admin recently appointed a new Moderator and, as some members have probably noticed, we've been running the forum together for a transitional period. Senior Pilot is an experienced helicopter pilot with military and commercial experience who, during his long flying career, has flown in many different parts of the world and has settled into the Mod role quickly, as I expected he would.
I'm now handing over to Senior Pilot and am confident the forum will continue to move onwards and upwards under his guidance. PedalStop will continue to help with a second opinion when required, and to intervene when necessary.

I’d like to thank you all for making Rotorheads such an outstanding success.
Members who’ve joined in recent years might find it hard to believe but, in 2000 it was good going if posts on a thread reached double figures, the number of views of a thread didn't reach three figures very often and the number on the forum at any one time never exceeded very low double figures. These two threads illustrate the point:
Drying Paint (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20366)
Dead Forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18726)

Rotorheads is now one of the busiest forums on PPRuNe, one of the two biggest rotary forums on the internet, and the biggest international helicopter forum.

The number on the forum at any one time is usually well over a 100 which, bearing in mind we have members in all time zones between the UK and the Antipodes is quite something.
As the fantastic collection of pictures in our Rotorheads Around the World gallery shows, we have members working in a wide variety of ops around the world.
I never ceased to be amazed by the wealth of knowledge and experience in this forum. We have experts who are highly respected 'household names' in the helicopter industry worldwide and numerous others who, although they aren’t well-known internationally, are truly experts in their own areas of work.
Rotorheads now has a well-established ethos: It's a friendly 'crew-room' where we willingly help each other, enjoy a laugh and discuss everything from helicopter ops to highly technical topics. It doesn't often need 'negative' intervention any more because members generally know what is and isn’t acceptable - which has made my role much more enjoyable than it would otherwise have been.It's no surprise that Rotorheads is widely regarded as the best helicopter forum on the net. :ok:

Thanks again for making Rotorheads such a success - a forum is only as good as its members.
Fly safe – and keep posting.

Heliport http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/HeliportSmiley.gif

(Edit)

I resisted the temptation to mention any names because there are so many people who have helped in different ways to make Rotorheads what it has become. On reflection, I decided nobody would mind if I thanked one member by name: Nick Lappos.
To have someone who's such a highly respected expert in the helicopter world answering questions and joining in discussions would be an enormous asset to any helicopter forum; fortunately for us, Nick liked Rotorheads and settled here. He has made an enormous contribution to the forum over several years, and continues to do so even since taking on a new challenge on the dark side after decades in helicopters.

A few years ago, Nick's contribution led to what IMHO is still one of the funniest threads seen in Rotorheads: Nick Lappos - No More Questions (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51348)

H.

Matthew Parsons
7th Oct 2007, 03:49
Thank you, Heliport. I've seen the difference good moderation makes in a forum like this and have no doubt that you are a big part of the success.

blave
7th Oct 2007, 05:16
Heliport,
I have been reading and enjoying this forum for quite a whilte - it must be a few years now - since you've been at the helm. Thanks for your balanced moderation of this sometimes contentious forum. I am but a sideliner at this point (US-based pilot who flies "for fun", yet who hasn't flown in a few months for various reasons) but this has always been The Place To Be for discussion and sharing of views. Godspeed and smooth sailing.
Dave B.
San Jose, CA

2THEMAX
7th Oct 2007, 08:26
Well done, in a time poor society thank you for makeing the effort.

Max:D

Bravo73
7th Oct 2007, 08:40
OMG. The end of an era.

Heliport, thanks ever so much for your hard work (and guidance) over the years. :D:D:D

ShyTorque
7th Oct 2007, 09:01
Well done, Heliport; thanks for your patience and hard work. :)

soggyboxers
7th Oct 2007, 10:15
Heliport,

Many thanks for your hard work and efforts in moderating with a light hand, but with the occasional guidance where you've felt we've needed it.

Enjoy all the extra free time you'll now have :)

:D:D:D

paco
7th Oct 2007, 10:18
Bet you'll miss us! :)

Good luck!

Phil

whoateallthepies
7th Oct 2007, 10:25
Heliport
Many thanks for ruling over this forum with a light hand for all this time. You will be missed by us and I'm sure you'll miss us too!

http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/pie.jpg

Whirlygig
7th Oct 2007, 11:11
I'm sure Heliport will pop in occassionally to see us, like the retired headmaster, maybe staring at us over the top of his horn-rimmed spectacles! :}

And welcome to Senior Pilot, who, I am sure, will continue the good work!

Cheers

Whirls

scruggs
7th Oct 2007, 12:32
All the best Heliport. Thanks for everything :ok:

Cheers

S

Aser
7th Oct 2007, 14:15
Thank you Heliport ,
Like others, I've been reading this forum from ab-initio to this day, and I really appreciate your work!

Thanks to all the rotorheads!

Regards.
Aser

NickLappos
7th Oct 2007, 14:54
Thanks, Heliport, for all the work, the humor and the leash-tightening that made Rotorheads what it is - the Best neighborhood for helo drivers and hover lovers to hang out in.

Rotorheads is Heliport's creation, I think, and for that, I thank you.

VeeAny
7th Oct 2007, 17:45
Heliport

Regardless of us not always being in agreement and the occasional cross of swords :), I thank you for making Rotorheads into what it has become.

I've been here since about the beginning and there is no doubt that this is the best Helicopter Forum on the web.

I am sure you will not just disappear from here, but good luck with whatever you decide to fill your spare time with from now on.

Gary

Colonal Mustard
7th Oct 2007, 18:01
Darn it heliport, if it wasnt for you i`d be up to 5000 posts now , best of luck in your time off lol:ok:

bondu
7th Oct 2007, 19:00
The King is dead...Long live the King! :D
Thanks Heliport! Welcome Senior Pilot! :D
bondu :)

Graviman
8th Oct 2007, 08:49
What an absolutely brilliant forum, Heliport. I'm jus a dumb engineer, but have learned a great deal about both the design of helicopters and about the industry.

This forum keeps me sane!

Rotorbee
8th Oct 2007, 09:00
Thank you Heliport.

I am always amazed, how civilized members behave in this forum. And this is certainly due to your hard work over the years.

I wish you all the best and welcome Senior Pilot.
:ok:

Capt Hollywood
8th Oct 2007, 12:11
Thanks mate, enjoy the pprune afterlife! :ok:

CH :cool:

John Eacott
8th Oct 2007, 12:15
Heliport,

As always, many thanks for your steady hand and moderate judgements. You have created one of the best sites around, and all credit is truly yours :ok:

Flashover999
8th Oct 2007, 12:38
Good luck with your PPRUNE retirement! Thanks for helping produce the best and biggest knowledge vault for helicopters that can be accessed by mere mortals.
:D
Cheers
Lee

Thomas coupling
8th Oct 2007, 17:32
Thanks for your supervision Heliport. Here's hoping SP continues with the same standards.

Mr Toad
9th Oct 2007, 01:48
Heliport many thanks for all your time and effort; we are by nature an opinionated lot and to prevent our divergent opinions from becoming a brawl takes some tact. We've seen you do it time and time again.

Senior Pilot good luck and thanks for taking this on.

Gerhardt
9th Oct 2007, 02:59
1. *doffs hat* It's been a pleasure.

2. What are your plans for filling all the time that you used to spend watching over us?

3. Just for fun, feel free to poke your head in from time to time and rap SP's knuckles for not cracking down on us hard enough and keeping it aviation related.

4. Thanks. Not to swell your head, but I really enjoy hanging out here. While you do a terrific (and until now, a thankless) job...it comes down to the quality of the pilots that post here. Some real gems amonst the lot. And some ne'er do wells like me, as well. Impressive that the forum hasn't regressed to the level of some of the other heli sites. Well done.

B Sousa
9th Oct 2007, 03:31
I still owe you a Beer for saving my a55 here a couple times when I jumped in some morons face.........
Come to Vegas and collect....

rotorfan
9th Oct 2007, 06:23
I rarely post, preferring to read others far sharper than me, but this time, it's imperative.
I've always been impressed by your fairness and even-handed approach. You let pilots push the envelope and smacked them only when it was deserved. Outstanding job, especially for what you were being paid.
Wishing you tailwinds (save for TO and landings :ok: ).
rf

VfrpilotPB/2
9th Oct 2007, 08:38
Heliport,

Its been a "Blast" I have enjoyed your comments and your guidence has been well appreciated by many of us Non Pro's,

If your ever in the Ribble Valley, drop into the Inn at Whitewell I stand you a pint or two.

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb and /2:D

Up & Away
9th Oct 2007, 09:46
Well done
Best wishes
:ok:

3top
9th Oct 2007, 14:26
Heliport,

...... thanks!!

I wish I had your "cool & calm" and I'd be way less in trouble!
Hope you stay on as a regular list member and we read more about/from you in the future.

Invitation to your pref bev, whenever you get this way (Central America)!

Hello Senior! You keep going Heliports tracks, we all' be very happy, no doubt!
Invitation to a welcome pref bev to you, whenever ....see above!

3top
"...in trouble" :cool:

Brilliant Stuff
9th Oct 2007, 15:04
Well done Heliport! I also thank you for your excellent moderatorship (sp) . Now have an excellent retirement.
Welcome Senior Pilot.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Rich Lee
9th Oct 2007, 16:00
Heliport,

I extend my respect, admiration, and heartfelt thanks for your significant contribution to this forum and to helicopter aviation in general. Unlike so many other helicopter forums, Rotorheads has remained first and foremost a technical and educational oasis.

I sincerely hope to one day meet you in person - UK or US. The drinks are on me!:D

Best of wishes and good luck to the new Sheriff - 'El' Senior Pilot.

Rich Lee

Robbo Jock
9th Oct 2007, 19:15
Heliport, just to add my thanks for all your hard work over the years nurturing the forum and helping grow it to what it is.

And welcome SP!

Heliport
10th Oct 2007, 22:11
Thank you all so much for your generous comments here and in emails.

I took it on as a challenge in the quiet days, and I'm glad I did. I've enjoyed the discussions and the laughs, and I've certainly learnt a lot.
Bet you'll miss us! :)
Paco's right. I will. :)
It's been a big part of my spare time for so long.
I won't post again as Heliport, but I'll enjoy the discussions from the back rows and no doubt join in using another name.

Thanks again.

Heliport

PS: Here's another thread which gave me laugh.
Not a single word of truth in it of course. ;)

How many Rotorheads ..... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204205)

Dave_Jackson
11th Oct 2007, 05:07
Heliport,

Rotorheads has been a source of information and entertainment under your stewardship.

Thanks for your significant contribution toward the growth of Rotorheads' membership and diversity of topics.

And also, thanks for the occasional times when you stopped the diversity from growing toooo much. :)

Dave

tecpilot
11th Oct 2007, 05:53
Heliport, many tx for the serious and calm moderation! Smiled especially about your struggle against hidden advertise in the last years :p:D:=

Best wishes! And thanks again!

jellycopter
11th Oct 2007, 06:39
Is Tudor's new appointment the reason we also have a new Moderator???......

J

md 600 driver
11th Oct 2007, 07:11
jelly j that i had thought also

steve

helimutt
11th Oct 2007, 07:12
I can only add to the above Heliport. Thanks for your contribution to Rotorheads and for eventually keeping me on the straight and narrow. Well almost!

:E:ok:

helimutt
11th Oct 2007, 07:21
WHAT? FLYING LAWYER IS/WAS HELIPORT??? NO WAY!!!!!!:uhoh:

Whirlybird
11th Oct 2007, 08:05
Ah, Flying Lawyer/Heliport's well kept secret is no more. I wonder how many of us knew.

Whirlygig
11th Oct 2007, 08:12
Helimutt, WAY!!!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Bravo73
11th Oct 2007, 10:49
I wonder how many of us knew.

;)

The clues were all there, if only you were willing to look for them...

SASless
11th Oct 2007, 13:17
As we wander through life, we sometimes run into a person that makes the trip a bit more enjoyable. Our man Heliport is just one of those rare folks that stand out amongst the crowd. I consider it an honour to have been allowed to know him and have the distinct pleasure to have shared a cockpit with him.....my last helicopter flight actually.

All the best in his new endeavour...."it's your Honor" now.:D:D

farmpilot
11th Oct 2007, 13:20
Heliport

Thanks for looking after the shop. Hopefully see you in Cape Town soon........

Jed A1
11th Oct 2007, 13:22
Tudor, many congratulations.

I remember one midnight post you made a few years ago under the Heliport identity and signing it Tudor :ooh: All was corrected by am UK time.

From then on you constantly kept me amused with the two identities. I remember one of our antipodean cousins arguing with FL and supporting Heliport (it could have been the other way round) obviously not realising that all he was actually doing was arguing with himself!!

I sincerely hope that your new responsibilities enable you to continue to contribute to the stimulating debate on this forum.

P.S. I've always kept you number in my back pocket in case the campaign come knocking. Would you now be able to recommend a good lawyer?

Gaseous
11th Oct 2007, 13:31
Thanks H for all the time you have spent on this over the years. True dedication. Thanks again.

muffin
11th Oct 2007, 16:41
Thanks Heliport - you are largely responsible for making this forum the pleasant place that it is - where even low timers like me are not afraid to ask questions.

helimutt
11th Oct 2007, 21:12
and there was me angry at Heliport one day last year for giving me grief over a post I made, and lo and behold, I was standing next to the man in a flying school down south the next day and never knew it.

MightyGem
11th Oct 2007, 21:57
PS: Here's another thread which gave me laugh.
Not a single word of truth in it of course. ;)

How many Rotorheads ..... (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204205)

Why, thank you kind sir. Farewell and welcome to Splot.

B Sousa
12th Oct 2007, 04:53
Does that mean if I get a speeding ticket in the UK, I can tell the Cop to Piss Off because I know the Judge??
And yes some of us did know Heliport was in fact the Masked Man known as Flying Lawyer......Hi Ho Silver........

Red Wine
12th Oct 2007, 07:01
I didn’t know that, honestly your Honour!

Does that mean you now drop to half your present salary?

Good to hear.

:D

Brilliant Stuff
12th Oct 2007, 11:45
You learn something new every day.

Well Done Tudor!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:
Congratulations!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Cyclic Hotline
12th Oct 2007, 14:17
SASLESS says, All the best in his new endeavour...."it's your Honor" now

Surely after all your time in the colonies and territories you must know its "Your Honour". :}

I can't wait for the TV version, just like Judge Judy! Just imagine watching all these aviation squabbles being fought out on TV - would make very entertaining viewing. Congratulations.

TheMonk
13th Oct 2007, 00:01
Wow! What an achievement. I am in awe... Congratulations your honor! :ooh:

Monk

Up & Away
13th Oct 2007, 20:20
I have to admit I spent a whole weekend, a couple of years back, trying to find out who was Heliport. I went though the 'possibles' from a very long list of professional pilots.. Eliminating each.
Thank you for your assistance in the past.
Your personal offer of help was very reassuring
well done and best wishes:ok:

Flying Lawyer
15th Oct 2007, 14:48
Thanks for your very generous comments on and off forum.

It’s going to be a wrench leaving the Bar but, after working round the clock for most of my working life, the prospect of shorter hours allowing more time to do other things had become increasingly attractive in recent years.

Yes, I was Heliport - the secret is out at last. :)
Danny always advises Mods to remain anonymous, and it proved to be excellent advice. The role is much more effective if a Mod is just an anonymous username rather than an identifiable person.

From time to time I bumped into helicopter pilots who, when discussing this forum, asked if I knew who Heliport was. I dodged the question by saying it did seem to be a well kept secret.
The funniest was a conversation at Helitech a few years ago with a certain very talented and rather volatile helicopter photographer from NZ who’s been banned/allowed back (by my predecessor, me and PPRuNe Admin), and walked out never to return/returned, more times than I can remember. “I just can’t find out. I even met a pilot when doing a shoot in XXXXX who not only knows who Heliport is, but he’s a friend of his and has actually stayed at his house! But I couldn’t get him to tell me.”
The trickiest was being asked by someone whom I would have helped in other circumstances what I thought made Rotorheads was so successful, and also if I’d consider contributing to legal discussions on his helicopter site. He must have thought I was very unhelpful!

I’ve learnt an enormous amount about helicopters and helicopter flying in Rotorheads, and from helicopter pilots in general whom I’ve always found very generous with their time when I’ve needed help. If I’ve managed to put something back into the pot, it's only a small contribution compared with what I've had from it.

My no longer being Mod will also be a relief to my other half. She's very patient and understanding by nature, but there are limits and even she was occasionally driven to suggesting I might spend just a little less time on PPRuNe.

My new job, based at Snaresbrook Crown Court London from the 30th October, will allow me to see some rotary activity from time to time – Met Police helicopters sometimes pass by en route to/from Lippits Hill.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I’ll get an invitation to visit the ASU some time. ;)

Thanks again.

Tudor

3top
15th Oct 2007, 15:07
Heliport, Flying Lawyer, Tudor.....

will we at least see you back in the forum? Under whatever name?

3top

helmet fire
17th Oct 2007, 02:35
Congratulations Tudor. Any reduction in hours is a huge promotion in my book - so make the most of them.

And thanks for doing the toughest job on Pprune with such aplomb and for so long! I never connected the two!

Regards
hf
:D:ok::D

Martin1234
17th Oct 2007, 20:51
Yes, I was Heliport
You are actually two persons? I mean, that must have been quite a good argument when negotiating your salary as a judge - effective cost-saving if a case requires more than one judge. I can't wait until I see a ruling made by only one judge, containing dissenting opinions.

(..)as in my case, some thieving git steals your wig as a souvenir.
Ah, now I finally know, I always wondered where that souvenir came from. :}

rotorrookie
17th Oct 2007, 22:02
congrats Judge/Lawyer/Heliport or just Tudor, at least you din't get gray-haired because of us rotorheads:E

ShyTorque
27th Oct 2007, 21:42
Tudor,

May I belatedly add my congratulations; I never twigged that you were Heliport despite having communicated with "both of you", but now a few things from the past fall into place!

In particular, I understand why Heliport had to hand over his responsibility.

Well done. :ok:

SASless
27th Oct 2007, 23:08
Aye Tudor,

I thought that lovely lady was yer daughter....more secrets are coming out!

Next time you come West....let's take you for a sail and show you some old Pirate and smuggler hideouts!

Teach's Hole is one of them that is nearby.

To think barristers and judges wearing wigs to work.....and all the time I thought it was a costume party!

John Eacott
31st Oct 2007, 08:45
His Honour sent me some (unofficial) photos today, of his Swearing In Ceremony on Monday. I know that he claims to be Welsh, but what is it about the English and dressing up ;)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/877-1/Judge+Owen+01.jpg

The next photos are with the Royal Warrant :ok:

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/879-1/Judge+Owen+02.jpg

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/881-1/Judge+Owen+03.jpg

And first day at work (Tuesday)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/883-1/Judge+Owen+04.jpg

Well done, Tudor :D :D :ok:

Brilliant Stuff
31st Oct 2007, 14:11
Faaaaaantastic Tudor!!!!!

Love the get up.

British traditions are the best IMHO.

NickLappos
31st Oct 2007, 14:14
Bless the Lord, he looks GREAT in that get-up!

Makes us ppruners PROUD!

tail wheel
4th Nov 2007, 19:23
Best of luck in your new endeavour Heliport! Thanks for all your help through the difficult times.

Don't forget your promise to visit Dunnunda! :ok:

Tail Wheel

rotorrookie
4th Nov 2007, 19:44
"For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow
For he's a jolly good fellow........ and so say all of us
And so say all of us, and so say all of us
For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow
For he's a jolly good fellow........ and so say all of us"

:} Thank you for making this forum as good as it is