PDA

View Full Version : Flying N-registered Helicopter in Europe (PPL)

Runway101
6th Oct 2007, 16:11
Hi there,

I plan to fly a US based and N-registered Helicopter with my FAA license in Europe for a while, exercising my private pilot privileges. The helicopter is a R44 owned by a US company.

I am not a EU or European resident and I will be on holidays in the region during the time that I am flying there. I am mainly speaking about EU countries, but I may throw in Switzerland or Norway as well on my trip. For the sake of this question, lets say I am talking about EU.

Any ideas what I actually need to accomplish this, apart from finding a company that ships the helicopter to Europe and back?

I am wondering if I need to get anyones approval for this up front, or if I can just show up and go ahead.

On the technical side of things, does the helicopter need special equipment installed, such as specific ELT, transponder (Mode S??) or radios? It's a standard US setup, with Mode C Transponder, Standard Transceiver, and standard ELT.

Also, how long can I have the ship in Europe without getting custom problems or into a war with local tax authorities?

This is my first post and I couldn't find anything with the search function that goes in to that direction. In case this was already covered, I may be too dumb to us the search function ;-)

Thanks!
RW101

PS: If anyone here can answer these questions on Asian countries as well, just go ahead. Saves me one more post in the future (not yet on the schedule put definitely planned).