PDA

View Full Version : Laptop adapter problems??

CEJM
3rd Oct 2007, 20:35
Wonder if anybody out there can help me.

Got a laptop which doesn't start-up anymore. When you press the On/Off button absolutely nothing happens. However normally when the laptop is connected to the mains via the adapter than the green light on the adapter illuminates continuesly. I have noticed that since my problems started the green light on the adapter flashes continuesly (once every second).

Could it be that the adapter has died on me?

Thanks for any help.

CEJM

bnt
3rd Oct 2007, 20:41
At a rough guess, not knowing what machine it is, a flashing light on a charger might mean the battery is charging, vs. just powering the PC. Or it could be a battery problem - have you tried running it with the battery removed, adapter only? If it runs then, the battery is borked.

CEJM
3rd Oct 2007, 20:46
Cheers BNT,

Had a look on the internet and indeed, the flashing light means the battery is flashing.

Even with the battery removed the light keeps flashing and the laptop doesn't run at all.

The laptop is from my otherhalfs sister and according to her it just went black when she was working on it.

ORAC
4th Oct 2007, 07:53
Some laptops need a battery installed, they will not run direct from the mains adaptor. So it is possible it is still just a dead battery. The fact the adaptor light is flashing makes it unlikely to be an internal PC/CPU/HDD etc fault.

What make & model it the laptop, and how old is the battery?

bnt
4th Oct 2007, 22:50
The other possibility that comes to mind is not a good one - that there is a fault in the power circuitry in the laptop, like the charging circuit. If you can't find a clear explanation in the manual etc. it may need pro attention. :uhoh:

CEJM
8th Oct 2007, 15:32
Thanks for your ideas. Unfortunately i couldn't give more information earlier as i was waiting for a reply from my girlfriends sister.

It took a little while but i have received an e-mail with the make and model.

Make: Cybermaxx MD95218

Model: Ram2010 Notebook Pc

It seems that she was working on the laptop and she just got a black screen and all the lights went out (on the laptop). When i connect it to the mains with the adapter than the only light that flashes at an interval is the light on the adapter. There are no lights at all on the laptop itself even after a 7 or 8 hours of charging the battery. When pressing the on/off button nothing happens.

So BNT, what you have written in your last reply might be the cause. The laptop is 2,5 years old and i would think its out of warrenty. But unfortunately she is not that quick with finding any receipts etc.

Thanks again. CEJM

green granite
8th Oct 2007, 16:15
Possibly might be helpful, at least they have an E-mail support area, but the site seems pretty useless http://www.medion.co.uk/?ukshop

CEJM
8th Oct 2007, 16:41
GG,

Had a look around the internet and indeed found the website of Medion. As she lives in The Netherlands i have given her the reference to the Dutch hotline with the advice to give them a call.

But thanks very much for your help its appreciated.:ok: