PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Video

forget
3rd Oct 2007, 15:44
I've bought a Nikon Coolpix S-200 which has a video feature. The videos transfer to my computer OK - but the file size! A three minute 640 x 480,with sound, is around 106 Megs. I need to shrink these to allow me to e-mail them.

Could anyone recommend a (free) programme which would allow me to massage the videos. Windows XP. I looked at Windows Movie Maker but I've seen some pretty poor reviews. Besides, it seems the only way you can get this is to use Automatic Updates which I have turned off, and I'd like to leave it off. Thanks.

Bushfiva
3rd Oct 2007, 16:09
There's a vast amount of free stuff out there, including "3gpp". But nothing is going to take your file, and convert it to "emailable" size. You're wanting to email videos. 640 x 480 x 3 minutes at 100MB isn't bad. You'll be converting down to some pretty mediocre sizes and frame rates if you want to email this stuff to people.

As mentioned, yousendit and the like let you move large files around. So does Skype, with certain limitations on firewall setup.

forget
3rd Oct 2007, 16:59
I don't expect to e-mail 100+Megs :) but, people do e-mail short low res videos around, don't they? Or do they stick 'em on You Tube? I don't know:confused:

Thanks for the link Mike. Possibility, but how does it work? The recipient still has to download the huge file you send. Again - :confused:

Saab Dastard
3rd Oct 2007, 17:29
Forget,

A few things:

Can you put them on CD / DVD and post them?

You can get various utilities that allow you to cut files up into chunks and get the recipient to re-assemble them - probably they have to have the "stitching" software too, but at least you can send several emails with smaller attachments!

Why not set up an FTP server? You then just email the URL to your files - size should not be an issue, assuming broadband to upload / download. Note that ADSL is a bit limiting here - as the A is for asymmetric, or SLOW to upload from your PC. But maybe you could get it hosted at ISP level.

With FTP you need to think carefully about security, authentication etc. - firewall ports need to be opened, accounts created to allow external users in, etc. etc. You do NOT want to set up an FTP server that allows anonymous login with the ability to upload files! :eek:

HTH

SD

forget
3rd Oct 2007, 17:48
Can you put them on CD / DVD and post them?

Yes, and I think that's the answer. They're aviation project related so need to be fairly presentable.

You do NOT want to set up an FTP server that allows anonymous login with the ability to upload files!

Quite :hmm:

forget
5th Oct 2007, 11:16
This is what I can't understand. One short video I've made with the camera is 37 seconds long; 30fps, 1026 bps. It comes out at 37Megs! (Coincidentally) Surely people up-loading a half minute video to YouTube (not me!) don't send 37Megs. :confused:

Saab Dastard
5th Oct 2007, 14:53
Surely people up-loading a half minute video to YouTube don't send 37Megs.No, probably around one tenth of that in general - but then the quality is crap, due to the high compression! Of the picture and sound, I mean, whatever about the content! ;)

YouTube has a file size limit of 100MB - which could be anything from 30 secs to 10 minutes (max. length), with obvious implications for the quality.

37MB for 30s - that would equate to 74MB per minute, or 7.4GB for a 100 min. film. DVDs are in the order of 4.7GB, or 8.5GB for dual layer, but then they are somewhat compressed, so it sounds about right.

SD

Tosh McCaber
7th Oct 2007, 19:24
How about this? (From my "Daily Tips" newsletter from PC Mechanic- highly recommended!)

Home PC Daily Tips Contact Us

PC Daily Tips - Brought to you by PC Mechanic

Sending Large Files Over The Internet
Say goodbye to bounced emails, clogged inboxes, FTP servers and overnight courier services to deliver CDs and DVDs.

YouSendIt.com

lets you send, track and receive files electronically.

This free service for files under 100MB is quite simple to use and is accessible right from the homepage with no need to register in order send a file under 20 MB. If you register and opt for a free Lite Account, you could send files up to 100 MB with a 1 GB monthly download limit. Here are the basic steps:

To send a file, enter the recipient email addresses and an optional message.
Attach your file and click “Send It”.
Your recipients receive an email that lets them immediately click and download the file.
If you want to send multiple files up to 2GB each take advantage of several other features such as ad-free usage, there are several pay-per-use accounts available.

• Related • •

More Recent Articles
Analysing Hardware
Getting Rid Of DVD Background Noises
Base Conversion Calculator
Password Protect Your Wireless Router
Windows Screen Presentation Utility

Looking For Past Tips?
This daily email is powered by PC Daily Tips, at www.pcdailytips.com. Visit the site and surf around!

PC Daily Tips is brought to you by PC Mechanic.

Build Your Own
Network

Learn to set up your home network. No experience required!

Store | Product Info

Our daily tips are powered by Wordpress and emailed by FeedBlitz.

Copyright 2007 PC Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

BDiONU
7th Oct 2007, 20:09
How about storing your files on an internet server, making them accessible to whomever you wish without the need to email? A Pipex owned ISP is offering free Unlimited Online Storage (http://virtualvault.freedom2surf.net/).

What's It All About?

F2S Virtual Vault is a free online storage space for your computer files. Your online storage space works just like the folders on your computer but stores the files centrally online instead of on your local hard disk. With your files stored online you'll be able to access them from anywhere, share them with your friends, publish them to web sites and they'll be securely backed up and encrypted.

Upload files to your online storage

Simply drag and drop files or whole folders from your computer to your online storage space. You'll have an infinite amount of space to store and backup all your documents, pictures, music and videos securely online. You can even allow trusted people to upload files to an online folder.

Access your files anywhere

Your online storage space can be accessed from any computer and files can be worked with online or downloaded to transfer files between computers. You'll be able to access your important documents, view your photos and play your music and videos when you're out and about through your mobile phone.

Share and E-Mail files

Share individual files or whole media galleries of photos, music and videos which people you choose. You can specify the people who can access each of your files and the level of access they have. You can use F2S Virtual Vault to e-mail files with no file size limit and complete security as only the intended recipient can access the files and you can revoke access at any time.

Publish your files to the web

Files or media galleries you choose can be published to the web where they can be viewed by everyone on the Internet and linked to from your web page. F2S Virtual Vault includes full music and video hosting with a media player you can embed into your web page, blog or profile such as on MySpace, Facebook or Bebo.

Your F2S Virtual Vault online storage space is totally free, so why not signup and give it a try.

How much storage space do I get?
We don't place any limit on the storage space you can use. We have a cluster of servers big enough to deal with an incredible volume of data. Our server system is also scalable so push us and we get bigger. Simple.

How can you offer unlimited storage? What is your business plan?
We plan to offer premium upgrades.
However, customers who don't want to upgrade to these services will continue to enjoy the product, as it is, free of charge.

and

How long do you keep my files for?
As long as you want. There is no limit.

All taken from here:

http://virtualvault.freedom2surf.net/Pages/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

BD