PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Publication on eBay

BluntM8
2nd Oct 2007, 21:14
Anyone care to comment if this is acceptable? I have a feeling it shouldn't be for public viewing seeing as it's classified Restricted.

Clicky here! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Restricted-Tornado-10-years-in-service-RAF-pub_W0QQitemZ290166123723QQihZ019QQcategoryZ96838QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Blunty

(Edited - link should work now. It was my first go at posting one!)

BluntM8
2nd Oct 2007, 22:03
Fixed it now, should be okay.

Kitbag
2nd Oct 2007, 22:22
If we were still in the early nineties then you would probably have a point that being Restricted it should not be in the public view, however although I do not know the contents of this particular book I can make a pretty educated guess, it was probably one of many documents that were overclassified at first publication. So IMO, contents may not be suitable for public viewing but personally I doubt anyone could glean anything from that particular document that isn't already open source.

Runaway Gun
2nd Oct 2007, 22:28
That may be so - but in fitting with the Restricted classification, it simply shouldn't be in public view.

Such classification does not allow us to judge for ourselves. Otherwise, where will it end?

TEEEJ
2nd Oct 2007, 22:35
Amazing what appears on e-bay!

Unfinished Project - Paper Aeroplane

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Unfinished-Project-Paper-Aeroplane_W0QQitemZ270163443165QQihZ017QQcategoryZ32635QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

'This is a unique opportunity to purchase an unfinished paper aeroplane. Unfortunately I was unable to complete the project due to the complexities and time involved. State of the art materials have been folded in half (see photos) requiring several more folds to complete. Own artwork required. No tyre kickers. Serious bids only please. Pick up is Possible from South West of WA.'

Kitbag
2nd Oct 2007, 22:35
Perfectly valid point. What I was trying to get at is there was for a long period an overclassification of all sorts of documents.

Archimedes
2nd Oct 2007, 22:46
And the question of how the document came into the seller's hands arises.

I'd venture a guess that if the MoD hasn't sold these on to book dealers/donated them to Oxfam, the document's probably still MoD property, even if given away carelessly by someone who was in a position to have it and who managed to put it in the pile of paperbacks given to the school fete?

NutLoose
2nd Oct 2007, 22:59
Define restricted, I could pick up a copy of the Spitfire maintainance manuals on ebay, they are still classified as restricted, just because it was then does not mean it still is..........

Let's face it, to reclassify every bit of paper that is produced by the Government would keep an over budgeted quango in full time business, about time we started one then ;)

The only white paper produced by the Government worth a sh*t was that old rough as hell shiny toilet roll they used to issue with Government Property on each leaf................... said it all really :p

AR1
2nd Oct 2007, 23:08
'restricted' is a bit of a naff classification. It would have been on every crewroom table in 199x.

And didn't they all end up in the bin????

NutLoose
2nd Oct 2007, 23:27
yup.. they scrapped a lot of them...................... ohhhh you mean the magazine

Roadster280
2nd Oct 2007, 23:58
Al R - I can't agree with you that it is a "Naff" classification. Does that mean the next one up is only slightly less naff? Or the one above that. Or that...

Often things are/were classified simply to deny short term advantage to enemies. Take for example Part One Orders. Or SROs in the RAF. They are Restricted. For good reason. Let's say, the order is "All personnel of X Sqn are to report to the Gym at 0900 for PT". If that fell into the hands of the enemy, say PIRA in those days, it might just suggest to them that 0900 would be a good time to mortar the Gym (for my money, ANY time is good for that, but you get my point, I trust). That same set of SROs is STILL Restricted for at least 30 years. Even though virtually nobody will still be serving 30 years later, let alone be at the same Gym at 0900 with the rest of the sqn.

I guess it's sometimes overkill, but rather that than the alternative.

AR1
3rd Oct 2007, 00:05
Actually Roadster you make a good point, however..

Restricted Items were widely (and probably still are) distributed within the service, but without the prerequisite of a signature chain or disposal thereof.
If it were refering to Typhoon I'd be concerned - but it isn't.

Kitbag
3rd Oct 2007, 02:31
For those with access to the appropriate publication (JSP 440), look at Annex E to part 5 Section 1 Chapter 1, which clearly asks the questions to be answered in deciding document classification. Classification depends upon a sensible series of answers. The JSP I refer to BTW is not protectively marked, therefore I believe this info is cleared for the public domain.;)

Gainesy
3rd Oct 2007, 08:15
According to the RAF, Ohm's Law is restricted.

High_lander
3rd Oct 2007, 10:36
The JSP I refer to BTW is not protectively marked, therefore I believe this info is cleared for the public domain

Ah, JSP440.The existence of JSP440 is not classified and the index pages are unclassified and available on the internet. The content is however classified and not for public use.

StopStart
3rd Oct 2007, 12:07
Gripping stuff chaps....
:hmm:

cliver029
3rd Oct 2007, 12:38
"According to the RAF, Ohm's Law is restricted."

..Bound to be resistance to change then.

Oh all right , hat, coat?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
3rd Oct 2007, 13:09
This reminds me of a Security Breach I was once hit for. Many years ago I bought a Truck, Utility, Half Ton, Air Portable; Rover. It put the fun (and recently, the poverty) back into motoring. Like all good military machines, it was complete with a technical manual and that was often in my desk drawer for me to read during dins breaks. One night I forgot to lock my desk drawer and the ever vigilant MoD Guard noticed the rear section on electrical equipment was RESTRICTED!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Oct 2007, 13:20
This reminds me of a Security Breach I was once hit for. Many years ago I bought a Truck, Utility, Half Ton, Air Portable; Rover. It put the fun (and recently, the poverty) back into motoring. Like all good military machines, it was complete with a technical manual and that was often in my desk drawer for me to read during dins breaks. One night I forgot to lock my desk drawer and the ever vigilant MoD Guard noticed the rear section on electrical equipment was RESTRICTED!

Better, years ago the RAF acquired a large quantity of minis, wg cdr, for the use of. They also produced an AP for the mini by the simple expedient of plagarising BMCs workshop manual. As all APs were in those days it was classified Restricted.

BMC learnt that the RAF had plagarised its workshop manual without paying royalties and took the RAF to court. The RAF pulled the OSA card and won!

Pontius Navigator
3rd Oct 2007, 13:22
Anyone care to comment if this is acceptable? I have a feeling it shouldn't be for public viewing seeing as it's classified Restricted.
Clicky here! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Restricted-Tornado-10-years-in-service-RAF-pub_W0QQitemZ290166123723QQihZ019QQcategoryZ96838QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Blunty
(Edited - link should work now. It was my first go at posting one!)

As the document refers to an aircraft that is still largely in service it is unlikely that you could pull the Spitfire card. I would hazard a guess that this does indeed breach the OSA unless DAS care to issue a downgrade notice.