PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Time

jetflite
1st Oct 2007, 07:20
another question, would appreciate if anyone has any information.
If you have Fixed-wing Turbine time/experience Eg: Turbo Prop or Jet,
but little helicopter turbine time (Eg: Basic Endorsement), will the fixed-wing turbine experience help in getting onto a rotary turbine gig & do insurance companies value fixed-wing turbine time ?
They way I see it is, your still operating a turbine engine. Apart from the obvious difference in flight characteristics from fixed-wing to rotary, you still operate with Torque limits, ITT(T5) or TOT guages & limits, Ng Limits, Hot starts and the same emergency's, flame out's etc. You still have a thorough understanding of turbine principles etc.
I've e-mail some insurance companies and am awaiting there reply, but in the mean time, if anyone would care to shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.
:ok:

Flying Bull
1st Oct 2007, 09:05
Hi jetflite,
I don't think that fixed wing turbine time would be such an advantage, that insurance companies would account for.
Especialy when it comes to twins.
Loosing an engine while underway with a twin turboprop fixed wing is totally different to loosing an engine in a twin helicopter, cause both engines are working on the same gearbox and the one still working is trying to maintain Nr. - and might quit on you, if you don't react correctly in time.
Also govenorproblems are different to handle cause of the interconection of both engines.
Greetings Flying Bull

hihover
1st Oct 2007, 18:03
Jetflite,

My insurance company specifies a requirement for turbine time in helicopters. If they are going to insure you for a helicopter, I would expect all the major insurers to have a similar requirement.

However, depending on the relationship your prospective employer has with the insurer (claims, no claims, length of time, number of aircraft etc), the rules can be negotiated. The insurer will still require you to have a turbine helicopter course but may well accept your experience with turbine engines in general without increasing the employer's premium.

eg. My policy states that I can use any pilot with a medical/commercial rotorcraft endorsement, a total time of 1500 hours rotary, of which 500 must be turbine rotary, of which 100 must be on the same make and model as my aircraft. However, I wanted to hire a pilot that I knew would work well but only had 1200 hours R44. I was given the go ahead from the insurance company to use this named pilot provided I gave hime a 10 hour turbine course.

I had their agreement and everyone was covered. If I did not have a good relationship with the insurer, they would not have entertained the idea.

I hope this helps.

tam

170'
1st Oct 2007, 18:26
Jetflite

It helps...It's normally small companies and private operators that have trouble with insurers. If you get hired on by a larger operator, nearly everythings negotiable. Normally seemlessly and without your knowledge prior to a job offer.

Insurance minimums are often used as a foil to politely say no!...
Used them myself for this many times...

Overall flight time will always help you...

Good luck with it!

diethelm
1st Oct 2007, 22:55
You need to consider Hull versus Liability.

The insurers have very little requirments for liability insurance but very large requirements for Hull insurance.