PDA

View Full Version : Heli dad to the rescue

Heliport
29th Sep 2007, 17:25
From the Daily Mail
Air ambulance pilot flies to rugby accident - and ends up saving his own son's life

An air ambulance pilot flew an emergency flight to a rugby pitch - and ended up saving his own son's life.

Helicopter pilot Dave Guiney was on standby at base when a call came in to save a teenage boy who had been injured during the game. When Mr Guiney arrived at the scene near Swansea in Wales, he found the victim was his own 15-year-old boy, Peter.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/FatherSonGRA_468x308.jpg

The teenager had ruptured his spleen in a rugby tackle and would have died if his father had not got him to hospital for surgery so quickly.

Former military pilot Mr Guiney said last night: "When I was on the ground, my initial reaction was to rush over to my child, but I was busying myself to get the aircraft ready to go. "We took Peter to casualty because he was bleeding from the spleen. The rapid diagnosis gave him a far better quality of life."

Peter, who captains his school team, said last night his father is "My hero". He added: "When I saw my Dad coming towards me, it filled me with so much joy because I as saved by him. "He's the best Dad you could have because he saved my life and other people's lives - that's the most important thing. He's a very good flier."

Peter had been playing rubgy at Bishopston Comprehensive School when he was tackled by two other pupils at once. The impact damaged his spleen and caused heavy internal bleeding which could have killed the boy.
But the Air Ambulance flown by his father was on the scene within minutes and he was flown to nearby Morriston Hospital for immediate treatment. Peter was treated in hospital for three days before medics said he was on the mend. The teenager was last night at home recovering.
His father said: "Peter is recovering well."

Mr Guiney has worked for the Air Ambulance service since December last year. Before that, he spent 33 years flying helicopters in the armed services.
He said last night from his Swansea home: "He's suffered some pretty heavy bruising too and the doctors have told him he can't play any contact sports for six months. "The guys who make this job work are the paramedics - they save lives every day."

The 15-year-old was full of praise for his dad and said he now felt "much better" following the injury. "I respect my dad's job to the full," he said.
"He is the best dad you could have because he saved my life and other people's lives - that's the most important thing. I feel so much better now."

A total of £2.7 million needs to be raised each year to cover the cost of the life-saving service. Since its launch in March 2001, the Wales Air Ambulance has carried out more than 7,000 missions from its bases in Swansea, Caernarfon and Welshpool.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=484457&in_page_id=1770

Wonder if his son asked "are we there yet?"

Mickjoebill

Thread begun by Mickjoebill.
Error during merging of my post with his.
Heliport

ChristopherRobin
29th Sep 2007, 19:36
well done Dave - flew with him for a few years in the army - top bloke! and glad his son is doing well.

MightyGem
1st Oct 2007, 08:08
well done Dave - flew with him for a few years in the army - top bloke! and glad his son is doing well.

Ditto. Well done, mate.

anonythemouse
1st Oct 2007, 09:47
Good to see the old sod is still alive! That's Dave not his lad, though I am also glad he's alive too! (If you know what I mean):ok:

Max Shutterspeed
1st Oct 2007, 12:35
What a great story with a happy ending. Much better way to start the week.

I can put up with Gordon Cameron for the rest of the week now.

Max

fayslag
1st Oct 2007, 14:42
Awesome dave, trust all is well now? :ok: