PDA

View Full Version : Fast trains to stop using T4 LHR

cwatters
29th Sep 2007, 14:13
Perhaps not a big deal but..

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/business/article2544312.ece

Fast trains to stop serving Heathrow's terminal 4

SkyTeam airlines will lose out after new Heathrow Express station opens to serve BA' s terminal 5Mark Frary

Fast Heathrow Express services will no longer stop at the airport’s terminal 4 when terminal 5 opens next spring.

Passengers heading for terminal 4, which will become the hub for airlines in the Skyteam alliance, such as Air France and KLM, will have to take slower Heathrow Connect services or take the fast service to terminals 1, 2 and 3 and change onto the slower service.

From the opening of terminal 5, the home of British Airways and its oneworld partners, Heathrow Express services will take 15 minutes from London Paddington to reach the station for terminals 1, 2 and 3 before heading off to terminal 5, which it will reach 8 minutes later.

Heathrow Connect services from Paddington, which stop at Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Hanwell, Southall and Hayes & Harlington en route to the airport, will take 25 minutes to terminals 1, 2 and 3 and a further 8 minutes to terminal 4.

niknak
29th Sep 2007, 14:53
Having used both services as a passenger I don't think that, other than missing out on the Fast Train comfort for those travelling to T5, anyone will notice the difference.

Given the vageries of our "unique" transport system, if you need to be at Heathrow for anything, plan to arrive at least an hour before you actually need to be there.

ChristiaanJ
29th Sep 2007, 15:15
Isn't "a fast train to Heathrow" an oxymoron, anyway?

perkin
29th Sep 2007, 19:11
Having used both, I know that I would use the considerably cheaper Heathrow Connect service, Heathrow Express is pure rip off territory. I find the Tube is generally the best bet, doesnt take too long and is a fraction of the price of its two rivals.

I believe Network Rail has plans or is in the process of upgrading the junction in Southall (I think) where the Heathrow branch joins the main line to Paddington - apparently this junction is 'unreliable' and is the cause of many delays to and from H'row and on mainline services to/from Paddington...

apaddyinuk
2nd Oct 2007, 09:44
Isnt the Heathrow Express the most expensive train service in the world????

Pax Vobiscum
2nd Oct 2007, 14:31
Isnt the Heathrow Express the most expensive train service in the world????
Not quite, I believe that honour belongs to the Piccadilly line between Leicester Square and Covent Garden - £4 for about 400m :)