PDA

View Full Version : Gml 2007

Hartington
28th Sep 2007, 23:07
Yesterday (Thursday 27th) was a bit of a wash-out. The airfield didn't open until 1300 due to heavy rain and it remained low cloud etc all day. Good thing was that there weren't that many people on the airfield which made photography of the aircraft that were there easier.
Today has been breezy, sunny, a few clouds at maybe 8-10k and high 70s (F). More aircraft have arrived and the practice has included formations of P51 with F22, then F15 and finally F16 as well as a distant view of a C130 camera ship leading P51s and the F16 team.
On the subject of the USAF F16s a much better display than when I saw them some years ago and light years better that what UASFE used to provide in the late 60s where they just flashed up and down the runway at 1k even if the cloud base was 500!
I've given up counting and don't think about asking about registrations - I don't do that! There must be 70 P51s of various ages, marks and mods. 2 P47s (with people wandering around with T shirts saying something like "real planes use round engines"), 2 B17s, the P63, 2 P38s, 2 Mitchells a P40 and the Canadian Lancaster (who needs 1 Merlin when you can get 4!).
Fun this afternoon when a Kalitta 747 arrived in the midst of various displays and there was a queue of Mustangs on the taxiway he wanted to use. Much turning around of Mustangs! Oh and the Lancaster did a beautiful 180 on the runway on landing to avoid a similar snarl up with the Mitchells.
Only 2 more days.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Sep 2007, 06:17
Where are we talking about please??

LTNman
29th Sep 2007, 06:53
The Gathering of Mustangs & Legends
"A Once in a Lifetime Aviation Celebration"
September 27 - 30, 2007
Rickenbacker International Airport (LCK)
Columbus, OH

Gonzo
29th Sep 2007, 22:39
I'm there tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, all my batteries are charged, sensors cleaned and cards formatted. :}

Hartington
29th Sep 2007, 22:46
You'll need them all!

As well as all of the above, today we had a B2 make 3 passes and the finale was 20 P51s up at the same time initially flying by in 2 and 3s and then formating themselves into a 51 which the flew at the crowd at about 1500/2000 ft.

Oh and take sunscreen. There is *no* shade anywhere.

Gonzo
29th Sep 2007, 23:05
Oh yes, I've brought the factor 50!

fernytickles
30th Sep 2007, 01:34
We forgot the factor, and bought factor 45, so no real sunburn, apart from the bits we missed.
Great event. Arrived yesterday afternoon, blown away to see so many beautifully maintained P51s, and all the other types. Apart from John Mohr, got a bit bored with the aerobatics this morning, but all in all, a great event, well worth the trip. So many P51s, and sooooo many cameras :ok: And so much downloading now we are back home again ...