PDA

View Full Version : 747-400 (G BNLE) today..

darrylj
28th Sep 2007, 18:23
saw a 747 400 (G-BNLE) earlier this morning @ LHR arrive at the stand with all but the inner starboard engine running.
:ooh:
is this normal, or did something happen for the crew to shut that particular engine down?. was not even spinning (not that i have much of a clue on planes)!.

never seen this before, that's all:confused:.

thank you.

:)

The_Steed
28th Sep 2007, 18:56
I've seen turboprops feather one of the props when they are coming onto stand so that the passengers can get off quicker. Maybe something like that?

K.Whyjelly
28th Sep 2007, 19:14
Not a 744 driver so can't comment on the SOP's used with regards a four engined aircraft, but on the two engined machines I drive we can shut down one of the engines, (subject to meeting and following certain requirements) in order to save fuel and help in reducing brakewear (as a result of less thrust produced and fewer brake applications required as the aircraft doesnt accelerate as easily).

Hopefully a 744 driver will shed more light on this for you;)

Hartington
28th Sep 2007, 22:52
At the risk of reopening an old sore about 18 months(?) ago a BA 747 lost an engine on departure from Los Angeles. After consultation with London they decided to continue to London. However, in the end they diverted to Maanchester.

That is probably an extreme example but it is by no means unheard of for aircraft to land with one engine inoperative.

boeing_bananas
29th Sep 2007, 03:14
Hi. At BA the SOP is to shut down no.3 engine (the inner starboard) on taxi in. This is only to be done providing the eng is not required - ie. taxy route is pretty flat & straight, and after engine has had 1 min at ground idle. Hope that answers your question.

mutt
29th Sep 2007, 05:29
Most probably it has to do with fuel conservation, a lot of airlines are shutting down at least 1 engine after landing to save fuel. It may not sound like a huge saving but multiplied by all your aircraft and all your flights over a year, its huge.

Mutt

sickBocks
30th Sep 2007, 14:20
...and of course reduces the Carbon Footprint. How green we all are.

sB

PS: Anyone else hear of "Carbon Footprint" before 2006?