PDA

View Full Version : how?

kate140983
28th Sep 2007, 08:00
Can you become a pilot if you don't have a levels and can't afford to pay 80k? Is there any other way?

Niagra1
28th Sep 2007, 08:25
well i dont have A levels, or 80k sitting around, but i am off to New Zealand with CTC aviation in November.

You could try them?

(or the search function :E)

future captain
28th Sep 2007, 08:57
What qualifications do you have instead of the A levels?

Niagra1
28th Sep 2007, 09:02
I have a national Diploma in Aeronautical engineering, and a HND in Business and Finance.

I also have 9 years working for a major Electronics manufacturer.

A levels are not the end of the line by any means.... but proving your ability to learn and take on information is critical....

kate140983
28th Sep 2007, 10:45
Thanks for the replies, JUST gcse's! don't have any other qualifications.

Abbey415
28th Sep 2007, 12:50
Most training organisations require A-C GCSE's only. You can also look at training via the modular route will will cost between £40,000.00 - £50,000.00. If you do ground school distance learning you could carry on working at the same time. It will obviously take longer but the cost will be less and you can carry on earning whilst learning. If you want it you can do it - good luck!

future captain
28th Sep 2007, 13:43
You can go modular and gain the same licenses if you wished, probably won't need the GCSE, just do abit of a "refresher" of maths and physics (basic gcse).

If you wanted integrated and had gcse's in maths physics, you could go that way.

newbie008
28th Sep 2007, 15:23
I believe you need a-levels to apply with CTC or equivalent grades?

Polorutz
28th Sep 2007, 15:36
Yes you do need A-Levels for CTC.. but obviously if the man has an Aeronautical degree then the A-Levels are sort of Overwritten.

You don't really need A-Levels to become a pilot, CTC asks for them because if you have Science or Math A-Levels you are probably going to find the Math in the ATPLs not too difficult, if you come from another country you can go into CTC without A-Levels but you need Equivalent credentials from your country.

MrHorgy
28th Sep 2007, 16:56
Hmm.. I was rejected from CTC as even though I had three A levels, they were at D and not 2 at A-C. Even though I had 20hrs PPL, and my Class I medical they still werent interested.

My friend also had equivalent qualifications and she was rejected. Not having A Levels will not stop you training, just might be a problem on some of the CTC/OAT type courses.

Horgy

rob152
28th Sep 2007, 20:11
Hmmm I have a HND in Aerospace Engineering and almost a PPL and CTC told me "no chance" because I dont have 5 C's or above in GCSE's. Thought that was strange as I studied two years of extremely tough maths and physics. Still thats life I guess, Modular for me!

Rob152

RS999
29th Sep 2007, 21:16
CTC did not require me to have any A Levels or in Scotland our equivalent. I am off to NZ in January on CP57 and, although I do have 3 Scottish Highers (albeit at Grade C), they were never mentioned as a requirement.

fade to grey
1st Oct 2007, 14:08
Kate,
I think you will find the vast majority beg borrow or steal the money:the other options are

1/Military flying - obviously not a route to commercial on its own as you may get killed on the way.

2/airline sponsorship:Not sure what is running at present,but the odds are slim ( i believe BA had 10,000 applicants for 100 places some years ago)

However for both these you still need A levels, so i would look at doing some,
regards

Mach44
1st Oct 2007, 14:22
Hmm...

Theres no GCSE requirements for modular as we know, but wouldn't that 'person' require some when going for employment with an airline?
or when it comes to that stage is the flying qualifications/experience all that really matters?

:confused:

fade to grey
1st Oct 2007, 16:45
Hmmm,
I don't know any pilots without a smattering of GCSEs.To be honest if you could not study well to at least that level you will come very unstuck on the ATPL theory exams.

As for airlines i guess they would want as many quals as possible - if you went there with poor GCSEs I think questions would be asked about your intellectual capacity,but more pertinently your will power and resolve.

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Oct 2007, 16:54
The simple answer Kate is that A-levels or anything else from school or college really matter.

The more complex and useful answer though is the following question:

I have 240 cv's on my desk applying for the post of First Officer at my small airline. They all have less than 400hrs. I only want to interview 40 at most. Do I start my selection by binning the ones with no A-levels or the ones with 3 or more A-level A to C's?

So that's your CV in the bin at a the first stage.

Its a hard world.

smith
2nd Oct 2007, 18:59
Its a strange world, but for example a top surgeon as well as being academically brilliant, has to show great artistry and manual dexterity when carrying out complex and intricate surgery. Other doctors may have the academic qualifications but not the intricacies to carry out surgery. This comparison could be akin to pilots.

I myself have a degree and found the academic side (ATPL's) challenging but not too demanding, however I find the practical side of flying far more challenging in terms of co-ordination, accuracy etc this is probably something you are born with or are not.

So WWW, I know that you have to have use some sort of screen to whittle down CV's and academic qualifications is a good start. On the other hand you could be throwing CV's in the WBP that belong to better actual flying pilots than those with academics.

I suppose going through CTC a PILAPT or other test wil be used to whittle down the ones with lack of co-ordination, and all reaching that stage will have have the academics required.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Oct 2007, 21:05
Without doubt you are throwing perfectly able applicants in the bin by dumping those without strong school grades.

But so what? There are still plenty of perfectly able applicants left in the pile with strong school grades. They might then be perfectly arbitrary and dump any CV's from people under or over a certain age (though that is now illegal it still is common).

Its BRUTAL when you have hundreds of applicants for every position. You use brute force and arbitrary rules to whittle down to a manageable interviewable size.

That's how it is.

200hrs and some mediocre school grades is not going to float anyones boat and your CV will be ripe for the bin.

Cheers

Wannabe Mike
3rd Oct 2007, 08:10
In reality you will need A levels, I would say they have to be grade C or above as the days of A levels being the gold standard of education are long gone.

As WWW points out competition is fierce, therefore from a recruitment point of view you can have the cream of the crop.

If you don't have A levels, you could consider going to night school to get a few under your belt? I found the jump from GCSE to A level substantial, however with a bit of work you can easily achieve grade C or above.

WM