PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Ground Eng

AASk01
27th Sep 2007, 09:28
I am in the process of remustering to AGE, i have spoken to various people with reference to this, but any advice would be greatfully received on what the job is actually like. Thanks

ZH875
27th Sep 2007, 09:39
Long Days, many early starts, many late finishes, lots of crap places to visit.

On the other hand, lots of great places to visit.

I have yet to work with a GE who has regretted becoming one.

Go for it.

Just ring the SAGE at either Lyneham or Brize and have a chat, they will tell you - warts and all.

On_The_Top_Bunk
27th Sep 2007, 09:47
I am in the process of remustering to AGE, i have spoken to various people with reference to this, but any advice would be greatfully received on what the job is actually like. Thanks

Check PMs for info

30AB-JK
27th Sep 2007, 09:59
It is also a great stepping stone to LAE/Inspector in civil aviation - after 5 years on 2-16, I am now licensed on 744RR/GE with A330 RR/GE pending. But you are right, it is long hours with busy day trips/night stops at some exotic locations - although I wouldn't put ASI/MPI and AKT day trips in that cat. Even now I wonder at the places I've visited and the break-downs - aaaah the serious side of the job - when you earn every penny. Never worked so hard since, even on DXB line with 10 74 T/R's was easier - honest.

country calls
27th Sep 2007, 10:42
I agree with ZH875 ring the SAGE, but rather than a telephone converstaion come down and meet us. We are a friendly bunch honest!

The way I always describe it: is I do the same tasks as a liney, get paid as a C/T with crew pay and PWON thrown in, and have the same responsibilties as OC Eng when away. Show me another job where the variety is so good.

It has its downside and you most definitely need the family onboard one hundred percent, but it is without doubt the most interesting and rewarding job any techie in the airforce can do.

If you want specifics (C130K) drop me a PM and I will give you the info from the horses mouth so to speak.

CC

startermotor
27th Sep 2007, 13:09
8 years and still loving it.
Wouldn't change it for anything.
Good advice above, make sure your family are 100% behind you

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
27th Sep 2007, 13:10
There's a very strict vetting procedure for potential Ground Engineers. You'll have to prepare yourself for the following question -

'When can you start?'

Truck2005
27th Sep 2007, 17:18
Best job in the world. Had 6 years of it on the funbus. Good trips and bad ones but I would not swap any of them, (including the Deci and Akrotiri scheds). Long times away from your home so make sure your missus is up for it. (That was the question we always asked with prospective U/Ts).

Have a face to face with the SAGE/Flt Cmdr, far better than an voice on the phone. You might even get a quick trip in to test the waters.

27th Sep 2007, 22:23
...and you put in all that investment and effort...

Then the Co-Pilot chick-nicks her off you

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Sep 2007, 22:36
At first glance I thought this was actually SPLH in a wig and lipstick..........scary:E

27th Sep 2007, 22:45
SPLH?

Sir Peter Larding...

glum
27th Sep 2007, 22:47
Whichever frame you end up on, I hope you like sand in your knickers...

27th Sep 2007, 22:52
and camel spiders in yer boots

country calls
27th Sep 2007, 23:00
SPLH - Simons Portly Love Handles!!!

Hows it going in the sandpit geezer?

You missed a good do last friday, from what I remember and not a single Cott story? You are slacking matey!!!

Keep your head down mucker!!

Moi

Truck2005
28th Sep 2007, 03:50
1.4G you found her as well? She told me I was the only one:uhoh:

startermotor
28th Sep 2007, 08:40
Nope been there as well

c17age
28th Sep 2007, 09:47
She must be one of the Gander lovlies I know!:ooh:

c17age
28th Sep 2007, 15:00
Fortunately not! I do however agree with all the posts above.
Get the Mrs (or Mr, nowadays??) onboard and go visit all the platform GE's and get it from the horses mouth and look at the flying progs for the guys. That will give you a good idea of what's expected.

ps
Visit on a Friday pm when the fan's busy spreading it!

TTFN

28th Sep 2007, 15:34
country calls

You're mistaken, I'm not in the sandpit. I didn't go to your leaving do 'cos I don't really like you. And what's a guy who PVR'd doing dishing out advice?

Only joking mate.

I was in Paphos enjoying Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball & His Jazzmen. Yes, they are still alive. Just.

The Cottesmore story, where you left me naked in a shopping trolley outside my house and rang the doorbell before running away, is for my leaving do, not yours. (and I swamped!)

Hope you liked your prezzie.

SPHLC

Truck2005
28th Sep 2007, 17:25
Gander and lovelies in the same sentence! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm (Although the Canadian naval lieutenant wraffie type was quite nice):ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
28th Sep 2007, 21:33
"naked in a shopping trolley"

Must have been a feckin big shopping trolley :p

x10ge
28th Sep 2007, 21:45
Best job I ever had, the only trouble is when it ends and you have to move back into the real world. And most of the 'chicks' I knew have probably stopped laying by now. Shame:ok:
John

philrigger
1st Oct 2007, 09:49
;)
I know I am being picky but ..

Strictly speakiing I do not think that becoming an AGE is 'remustering'
(ie Changing trade). Is is not just a trade qualification?

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

glum
1st Oct 2007, 15:01
Well you do all four trade courses, have the auth to sign reds and greens, get crew pay, get waited on in the office, and have to bag all the fat girls, so I guess that makes it a little different from a normal liney...:ok:

2nd Oct 2007, 16:12
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44151000/jpg/_44151029_browniraq3_ap416.jpg

Mr Brown arrived under heavy guard alongside Christopher Prentice, the British ambassador in Iraq.

Doesn't matter if you drop yer visor, son. It's still a crate at Christmas. And the shut down must be complete 'cos
a) Gay Gordon is talking
b) Yer boom mic is up

So that's 2 crates.