PDA

View Full Version : Next G phones

notorque
27th Sep 2007, 03:30
Keep getting the text messages from telstra that it's time to get rid of my trusty CDMA handset that has served me well in the more remote parts of the country over years and change to next G. Does anyone here have any experience with the new network especially in the smaller communities where you need it most? You know the type of town where the refueling agent is also the local butcher and policeman.
Have heard there are problems with some of the handsets, should I just get an ordinary digital phone?
Cheers.:ok:

Warbo
27th Sep 2007, 04:21
I haven't changed mine over yet, but talking to those who have, they say the Nokia 6120 works better than the others in dodgy areas. I was talking to a Telstra rep today and he showed me this (http://www.zte.com.au/main/F158.htm) phone, which is supposed to withstand being dropped and what not.

Good forum about mobiles here (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=123).

go_soaring
27th Sep 2007, 04:43
G'day,

I've had no problems what so ever with the Nokia 6120 Next G phone. I fly out west a lot, all through out East coast Australia with my gliding and haven't had a problem with service yet.

Most remote place I've been since on NextG was 40nm West of Thargominda, and could still get a txt away and if I stood on one foot while patting my belly, I could manage a clear conversation if I were lucky!

I'd convert from my CDMA to NextG Nokia again if I had to.

My two cents..
WPP

NIGELINOZ
27th Sep 2007, 05:06
I live 65km's S/E of Albury and my opinion,for what it's worth is to hold off till the very last minute before switching over.
I have a Samsung A501 and whilst I get good coverage near Albury as soon as I get about 15k's out I start having call dropouts yet when I get 20 k's out I get good coverage again,Telstra say that it's due to not having enough Next G base stations enabled at the moment and that they are rolling out more of them all the time.
There is also the issue of what incentives Telstra will give you to switch over,I'm sure you will find that come January when they switch off CDMA they will be falling over themselves to get you to switch.

tail wheel
27th Sep 2007, 08:44
I have an LG TU500 Next G phone and have provided around fiften to our staff located in rural Australia. No problems with them but the Next G network can be patchy in the bush, although Telstra promise the network will be complete by the time CDMA is turned off.

Also, keep in mind that the Federal Government has not yet agreed to Telstra's request to turn off CDMA........

Desert Flower
27th Sep 2007, 09:03
I have an LG TU500 Next G phone too, & as far as I'm concerned it is a heap of s**t. I live about 6km from the nearest tower, & the useless thing only works inside the house when it feels like it. I am constantly missing calls, & have spent more money ringing the Telstra 101 message bank in the few months I have had it than in all the years I had my CDMA phone.
There have even been times when I have had it on the seat beside me while driving out to the airport, someone has been trying to call me & the stupid thing hasn't rang. My CDMA one had an external antenna, the Next G one doesn't. I would dearly love to tell Telstra where to shove it!

DF.

Atlas Shrugged
27th Sep 2007, 09:13
I have a Nokia CDMA on the Optus network at the moment. Which so far, has worked exceptionally well wherever I have needed it. Am I to understand that this will need to be transferred to the Telstra Next G as well? - I hate Telstra :ugh:

notorque
27th Sep 2007, 09:21
Thanks for the replies guys and sounds like there is a bit of a mixed bag of opinions, Tail - wheel I find it very interesting that the government hasn't agreed to turn the network off, to me it seems ridiculous to turn off such a good network when it is the ordinary GSM (digital) phones that are outdated if anything. All I want is a working phone that I can reliably cancel SAR with, log a flight plan or order some fuel, I get so bemused with the extras they put on mobiles now - I don't need a camera, internet or WAP (whatever that is:hmm:) on it.
I think for the time being I'll hang on to the old CDMA, if it works why fix it?

werbil
27th Sep 2007, 10:40
I also have a LG TU500, I upgraded from CDMA about 4 months ago when my old phone died.

The most frustrating feature with it is that it you cannot set it to give reminder beeps when someone leaves a voice mail or text message.

In an urban environment it seems to work where most other phones drop out. I bought the LG because it is one of the very few Next G phones that has a direct RF connection for a patch lead to allow an external aerial to be fitted (most phones can only use an inductive pickup which results in RF losses).

I have used both CDMA and NEXT G well offshore with an external aerial at Hardy Reef. Both phones worked at times and not at others. Next G either worked brilliantly or not at all.

Unlike some other phones I have tried, the browser allows you to pull up usable single weather radar images from the bom site - a poor man's weather radar. You can access forecasts through the bow registered user section as well, however I haven't been able to use it with NAIPS though.

It is quite a rugged phone - I have even dropped it out of the plane at Whitehaven Beach, recovered it from out of the sea after about 30 seconds, removed the batteries, soaked it in several batches of bottled water and dried it out. It is still working two months later - but occasionally turns itself off.

W

TINTIN25
27th Sep 2007, 10:47
NEXT G wireless internet is a must have if you are doing trips to country areas. Just love it! There is nothing like checking the weather or submiting a flight plan when you are isolated from civilisation :ok:

Lasiorhinus
27th Sep 2007, 10:57
You dont need Next G to submit a flight plan - ANY telephone, and I even include the green iron rotary-dial Telecom Australia payphones - can be used to submit flight plans!

Cleared Visual
27th Sep 2007, 11:45
As an aviation enthusiast and pilot wannabe, I generally just spend my time here lurking and learning from the pages of PPRUNE, but finally I feel there is a thread I can make a valuable contribution to! I have worked in regional Australia for different phone companies over the last four years in different roles.

Given that the Federal Government contributed a considerable sum to the construction of the CDMA network after awarding Telstra the contract for rural coverage, it is not unreasonable that they would be demanding a network that as a minimum standard covers the same percentage of the population (approx 98.7% from memory). Although practically all Next G handsets will function in GSM coverage areas using the existing 1800/1900MHz bands meaning it is much more convienient when roaming internationally, and if you want to use a different company's SIM from time to time.

Seems to be that the Nokia 6120 is the clear winner in terms of the Next G phones, we have had very few complaints about reception issues, or faults with the handsets for that matter. It can also be connected to a bluetooth car kit to an external antenna, making it a popular alternative to the TU500 (which have also had relatively few faults in my experience).

The best advice I can offer is to stay away from the Telstra branded ZTE handsets. The company I work for no longer carries this product line. I am of the understanding that Zhongxing Telecommunications Equipment (ZTE) previously tried to enter the Australian market but could not meet standards for receptionand reliabilty on our networks, but with the launch of Next G and lack of handsets compatable with the 850MHz band, they found an in. We have experienced a high rate of failure (some customers requiring their handsets to be exchangedtwo or three times before they have one that performs as expected :mad:). They also have a policy which requires swap overs of faulty handsets to be done only after sending the handset back to them to verify the fault, leading to very lengthy delays and inconvience for the customer!:ugh:

For Atlas, Optus customers on CDMA are still a bit of a grey area at least where I am working, but it would seem that if the network is shut down, then the alternative is Next G which is wholly funded by Telstra and as such only available to Telstra customers. I will however look into this in the next day or so and post my findings!

I also have heard on good authority that Vodafone intends to invest a nine-figure sum over the next twelve months to increase their GSM coverage, particularly along rural and remote highways, including the Northern and North-western parts of the country where they currently only have coverage inmajor population and a few tourism centres.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions, and I'll answer them the best I can, although I'mnot as close to the big T now as I was when the network was launched.

Desert Flower
27th Sep 2007, 12:49
I bought the LG because it is one of the very few Next G phones that has a direct RF connection for a patch lead to allow an external aerial to be fitted

And whereabouts is that exactly? I was told by someone a few weeks ago that an external aerial could be fitted to the TU500 through the socket which is meant to take the earpiece. I didn't know whether to believe it or not. I think that if it were possible to fit an external antenna, it would help solve a lot of the problems I am having with mine. Yes, I find the fact that the damn thing only beeps once when someone leaves a message annoying, whereas the CDMA one I had (which was also a LG) beeped a number of times. I very rarely ever missed a message with that one. Oh, & I am with Telstra by the way, where I am it's either that or nothing.

DF.

TINTIN25
27th Sep 2007, 13:28
"quote" You dont need Next G to submit a flight plan

This is true but I find it much more easier to take my laptop with me! With a few clicks the plan is submitted. As well as the fact of having up to date weather charts and access to email.

I know next G is very expensive. I have yet to find a better provider! However I think this Gen Y's world will fall apart if I couldn't get on the internet anytime I want! :{

MudCrab
30th Sep 2007, 10:45
I have the same phone...and i have the exact problems as you.....the worst phone i have ever had....

I have an LG TU500 Next G phone too, & as far as I'm concerned it is a heap of s**t. I live about 6km from the nearest tower, & the useless thing only works inside the house when it feels like it. I am constantly missing calls, & have spent more money ringing the Telstra 101 message bank in the few months I have had it than in all the years I had my CDMA phone.
There have even been times when I have had it on the seat beside me while driving out to the airport, someone has been trying to call me & the stupid thing hasn't rang. My CDMA one had an external antenna, the Next G one doesn't. I would dearly love to tell Telstra where to shove it!

DF.