PDA

View Full Version : My story so far... (0 to CTC Cadet)

Polorutz
27th Sep 2007, 00:21
My story so far: From 0 to CTC Cadet in 9 months.

I started the research process, looked up some flight schools and gave a couple a call, here in Europe I went for the big guys, found out that no major airlines had a Sponsorship program anymore and looked at Intercockpit, the commercial Lufthansa flight school, I gave them a call and sent an email. A couple of days later I received a full brochure and I decided then and there to go for it, to make it my goal to be a pilot, I then read the fine print... 90 thousand euros for the whole training, ouch, that kind of cash is kind of impossible for a 21 year old.

I then started looking for options, to see if I could take a loan to pay for it and all the banks I went to here in Switzerland required some collateral, a house or 500k dollars to back up the loan, man, If I had a house or 500k dollars to my name Id' move to an apartment and pay for my training in cash.

Delta Connection had a pretty good deal in which you could work there for a year or so after getting the FAA ratings and then they would point you to a flight school in Europe where you could convert all the licenses and hopefully find a job. I decided to go for that approach, getting experience on the way.

It was then that I joined pprune and saw in the wannabes forum all the info on CTC and immediately I sent my application not really paying much attention to it since it seemed like such a long shot that they would take someone who wasn't in the UK and with no flying experience, just as I had come to an agreement with Delta Connection, CTC invited me for phase 2, so I put everything with DC on hold and just went there not giving too much thought to the issue.

If you are reading this you are familiar with CTC and the whole process so I wont go into much detail, Phase 2 was very fun, the PILAPT (pilot aptitude test) was challenging but easy in some respects... I had some flight sim experience so flying the little plane through the boxes or keeping the cross centered using the joystick were not hard at all.

I received the phone call that same day, I had passed with flying colors and was invited to phase 3, just 2 weeks from the date, I was so happy, I called everyone I knew and told them I was on to something.

Phase 3 was the hardest I did without a doubt, they have 2 group exercises, I won't go into detail because I wouldn't like CTC getting mad at me for disclosing the process (Specially now that im in) but let's say that I didn't know what they were about and what they look for in a candidate so I ended up focusing in the points that were not important to them, in my interview I had however done my homework and came across as passionate and confident, I enjoyed the interview, it was more of a chat.

That same day I went to nursling because I had my phase 4 provisionally booked, they do that when you come from outside the UK so you can do both phases on a single trip, checked into my hotel and waited, the call came very late... 8 pm or so and the words were “Mariano, I am afraid the answer is no... you are not chosen for phase 4 tomorrow, but you can reapply in 6 months if you decide to do so”... I was devastated to say the least...

I went to my room and after crying a little (yes... men cry when their dreams are shattered too, at least I do, heheheh), I decided to reapply, called DC and told them that I wouldn't be going (I had a start date set and everything) and I remembered then and there that some cadets on my phase 3 had PPLs, so I thought Id' give it a go at getting one, it could show CTC that I really had the conviction to be a pilot, so I hit the web again looking for fast track JAR-PPLs, I found none in Europe, my local flight school in Basel took 6 months from 0 to PPL and I wanted to do things fast so I stumbled on to European Flight Training in Florida, they offer all the JAR ratings minus the IR so I called them up and made my arrangements, even if I didn't get into CTC I still would enjoy the experience, and enjoy it I did, loved it actually, and for those who know Spanish you can read my blog on the whole ordeal here http://flightschooldream (http://flightschooldream)(dot)********(dot)com

After I had made the decision to go get my PPL my CTC feedback came back and I instantly understood why I had failed the phase 3 and it was really simple, I wasn't paying attention to my team-mates during the second group exercise and focused solely on completing the task given to me, which pushed out the worse parts of me that even though can be useful in some circumstances, are best kept under a close leash... leadership can be a double edged sword, specially when you don't know how to use it, and boy... I didn't know how.

So, in Florida I learned everything I now know about being a pilot in today's world, met a lot of people who were also chasing the same dream as I was and learned tons from them, EFT has the same scheme as DC in which you get to work for them, you also get all the euro licenses with the FAA ones for the same price (minus IR, you convert that once you're back), I started toying with the idea of doing my ATPLs and going back to EFT to become an instructor for a year or two and then I would have that Instructor job to fall back on if I didn't get my way with CTC or the airlines, I studied hard and flew hard too, enjoyed every minute of it and in the end I finished with a better understanding of the whole study process and the flight industry as a whole (as well as a shiny new brown book with a night rating).

When I came back from Florida and waited for the UK CAA to issue my PPL, I started getting itchy feet again and called Bristol GS, I might as well start the next step so I could use the momentum that I had to keep going, so I paid for the first module and started eating through it every day, learning all those things I know I will need in the future (or some that I won't need so much), basically, I started planning on the EFT route, it would cost me some cash but I liked the outlook of it, met some guys who were on the program and they were all happy, and most of them had 1000+ hours on their books while earning some cash in the process.

While studying for the ATPLs I got my PPL and went flying here in Basel, got a check ride on my school's Cessna and did a mountain flying course on the Alps, by far the best flight scenery I've ever seen.

So, there I was... going back to my phase 3, this time I was a whole different person, in the first one I had no idea about CRM and why they do all the exercises they do, I had no idea what it would be like to fly an airplane for real and now I had 70 hours flying experience to go along my new shiny PPL, I also did not know anything about the other options that exist such as doing the modular/instructing route, this all contributed to me being much more relaxed, I went there thinking that if I didn't get it I could still go back to Florida and enjoy myself there as well.

My phase 3 was a blast, the group exercises are a lot easier once you relax and just play with the team, if you can be a team player it's no problem at all. I am a VERY introverted person, but after reading up on CRM I polished my social skills and my team skills as well, it CAN be done if you know what you need to do.
The interview was way shorter this time, they had a big folder with my name on it and I suppose they had everything about me on it, so the questions this time focused on my change during the 6 months and some others that were not hard to answer, it took me like 20 minutes to do the interview instead of the normal 45.

I went to Southampton, once again on a provisionally booked phase 4, waited and the call came, my heart was pounding but I tried to keep my composure, it seemed my cellphone wasn't working correctly in the UK so they reached me after 3 tries, this time it went like this “Mariano, I was worried I tried calling you 3 times!!, good news though, you've passed!! congratulations, be at 7:30 tomorrow for your phase 4”... I hung up... screamed into a pillow and once again cried... this time of happiness, I settled down quickly though, knowing that I could fail the next day and it would be just the same, called my mom and some friends to let them know and most of them offered to pray for me to be successful (we are mostly devout catholics in my country), I personally don't consider myself a very religious person but hey... you never know.

My assessor turned out to be one of the guys that was on my first phase 3, he did not remember me and I didn't tell him, I didn't want him to remember anything bad, I then met another candidate who was also doing his phase 4 and we went to the briefing room, Eg, as my assessor told us to call him, explained the whole process in a very detailed manner and told us EXACTLY what we needed to do, if you pay attention you can't fail, he gives you tips on how you should fly the airplane, after half an hour or so of explanations he asked us who would go first and my colleague volunteered himself, so I had another hour or so to wait.

The other guy came out of the sim sweating... all nervous, left his papers behind, his passport, everything, I blocked that image out and went in with Eg, looked at the sim and just enjoyed the fact that I was going to be playing the best flight simulator of my life.

It all happened pretty quickly really, climb, turn to this heading, don't lose altitude, maintain 700 feet per minute on the descent, look, we've landed.

Once again, left the place with a big smile and boarded a train to London, as my flight would depart from Luton the next day, I was expecting the call in the evening as usual, I was wrong, one hour later I was on my way sitting calmly on the train when the phone started ringing... and I said the most horror filled “Hello” in history, I bet the lady who was sitting next to me thought that I was a bit weird when I closed my eyes and made a gesture equaling “Oh my god here comes the pain”...

She: “How'd you think it went Mariano?”
Me: “I've got no idea” *Cue fore said facial expression*
She: “Well I am going to put you out of your misery (Oh my god misery!!, I thought darkly). You've passed!!! congratulations!!!”
Me: “Wait what?”
She: “You've passed!! you said you wanted to start ASAP?? how does November sound??”
Me: “wait... what?!?!”
She: “You'll be in contact with one of my colleagues from now on, congratulations!!!” *click*

Now the lady next to me started thinking I must be mad or something as I started laughing hysterically...

-MRL

yellowsubmarine
27th Sep 2007, 02:04
:yuk: What? and Why? are my two prevailing questions...actually on second thoughts better just make that Why? :ugh:

Polorutz
27th Sep 2007, 02:10
why what? Ellaborate and I will answer

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 02:26
giggle

You beat me to it Yellowsubmarine ;)

Here's my 0 - CPL in 9 months:

Aug 2003: Got divorced :D
Sep 2003: Sold house
Dec 2003: Had money
Jan 2004: Started flying :) :) :)
Feb 2004: worked, studied, flew and be'd a Mum
Mar 2004: worked, studied, flew and be'd a Mum some more
Apr 2004: ditto
May 2004: ditto
Jun 2004: ditto
July 2004: ditto
Aug 2004: worked, studied, flew, be'd a Mum & starting freaking :ooh:
4th Sept 2004: Sat CPL flight test. :D

How hard was that?! :ok:

Polorutz
27th Sep 2007, 02:40
hehe you both are clearly not my target audience... I enjoyed reading some of the success stories in the forum, they gave me a little hope... so I wrote that to give a little hope to newbies out there who might have gotten rejected from their stage 3... It might be kind of stupid I know but hey... someone might get good ideas from it

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 02:46
LOL, sorry Polorutz !

I see it is in Wannabes forum, we shouldn't be so harsh. Just think yourself lucky you didn't pop it in Jet Blast... :eek:

Just maybe keep it a little more abridged and you might get a few more readers?

Enjoy your flying :ok:

KC

Polorutz
27th Sep 2007, 02:51
copy that... editing

*edit* Cut a lot of the "Just for family and friends" mumbo jumbo

Still a wall of text but hey... I did shorten it a bit

yellowsubmarine
27th Sep 2007, 04:37
I'm sorry....i am not not one of those peopple on this site who has a burning desire to make a mockery out of anything that they dont agree with, and you seem like a charming fellow and clearly you are very content with your life, which is great.

However I don't quite have the restraint that 'Kiwi' clearly posses therefore please don't hold this rant against me.

The majority of people on this site and especially in this forum are struggling down the long, hard road to becoming a proffesional pilot. You are not the first person in the world to go through the process of flight training, please realise that everyone on this site understands and knows the varying forms of training there are avaiable. Therefore we do not need your detailed acounts of what you went through....step by emotional step.

Some people undertake this training with some pretty adverse circumstances, I personally take my hat off to anyone trying to train as a pilot and be a parent at the same time. I am sure that your story does little to reassure these people who face real difficulties that their toil will all be worth in the end. But rather serves to make them envious of someone who has it so easy. Your story is heartwarming at best and nauseating.....would be a fairer assesment.

What i'm getting at, if anything at all is that your post was pointless, which in turn makes this post pointless, so i'm going to stop. I sincerely hope your journals do the same.

All of that said no offence intended! :rolleyes:

davedek
27th Sep 2007, 04:51
Yellowsubmarine, hang on a minute, all I want to say is that nobody was forcing you to read it, and just because you find it 'nauseating', doesn't mean everyone will. In fact I am sure there are MANY people out there who may find this story a very interesting read, most likely people who are thinking of applying to CTC themselves. As a current CTC cadet in NZ, I certainly found it to be an interesting read, having been through a similar experience.

Polorutz, congratulations! You are obviously very enthusiastic about it all which is great to see! When did you say you start - November? I'll most likely see you here in Hamilton at some point then. Nice work!

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 04:58
Davedeck

We may to agree to disagree here - but I think Yellowsubmarine may be gently :ooh: trying to intervene before the sharks get him. :ouch:

Yellow - lets go for a beer if you're ever here! :ok:

Bullethead
27th Sep 2007, 06:02
Somebody say BEER ? :ok:

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 06:16
BEER!! BEER!! BEER!!!

The one thing that Polorutz seems to have omitted from his post? I don't get it?

:ok:

Shakuri
27th Sep 2007, 14:10
Very good read, I'm glad to hear you made it, I hope to follow in your footsteps next year, just gotta get this damn degree out of the way.

Blasted
27th Sep 2007, 14:23
Polorutz, thanks for your story. It was a pleasure to read that. I'm an usual roamer of pprune but never registered. Reading your post (and seeing some pointless arguing against it), I just had to say Thanks! I wish you best of luck in your carreer. Keep going man.

BHX86
27th Sep 2007, 14:58
definitely have to agree with most of you guys praising polorutz. I found it very useful, have just passed my stage one, and now looking forward to booking my stage 2 sometime soon. cheers for your insight!!

yellowsubmarine
27th Sep 2007, 15:17
I stand corrected! :hmm:

I might need that beer now!

Irish_Stu
27th Sep 2007, 16:26
Polorutz,

Great post. I can identify with you on a lot of that. Got binned from CTC stage 3 last week but have the option to re-apply in six months. It's good to read about someone who went through a similar process and came good in the end. Well done and I look forward to hearing how you get on in NZ.

Stu

Polorutz
27th Sep 2007, 17:08
Thanks hehe, the original story was a bit larger but hey, I enjoyed the thread in the Private pilots forum where someone posted their whole PPL story so I knew some of you might enjoy reading a bit about what can happen... like I said any Q's PMs are answered.

-Polo

Shakuri
27th Sep 2007, 18:28
You have to pass a class one medical to get on the course, that is all

Tiger_ Moth
28th Sep 2007, 11:16
Bit harsh there yellow!

As you point out yourself, if his post was pointless then yours certainly was.

If you dont like it, dont read it.

I personally thought it was an interesting post.
Might see you out here for a few days pol, before I'm on the way back:)

Bambe
28th Sep 2007, 21:41
I'm taking my phase 3 in less than 2 weeks and I've already thought hundreds of time of those phone call....Thanks for your post, you did it perfectly and I really hope we'll share a good beer in NZ soon...

Nice experience, I can't wait and I'll let you know with another LONGER NAUSEOUS POST:ok:....

Polorutz
29th Sep 2007, 00:02
Good luck!!! any help you need or any questions you want answered PM me

realistic
29th Sep 2007, 03:33
I don't understand the harsh comments.

I believe alot of people would be interested in reading this.

SAS-A321
30th Sep 2007, 10:09
Great story...

What flight simulator did you fly in?

Polorutz
30th Sep 2007, 13:15
I had my phase 4 in the full motion B737-300 Sim, the base was turned off though so It had no movement and it acted like a fixed base sim.

FruitSalad
30th Sep 2007, 16:03
Great read, I think people will enjoy reading this because a lot of this can relate to it and it emphasises the point about not giving up, i.e after being turned down at the first stage three.

gone till november
30th Sep 2007, 20:13
Kiwi Chick and Yellow sub

From your public profiles i'd say there's just a little bit of jealousy as Polorutz has made it and well.....you havent.

At least yellow you made a half hearted effort at an appology but your first post was just plain stupid, bitter and an attitude that is NOT required in todays modern cockpit.

Kiwi i hope your good at your office job beacuse what ive seen so far its not any time soon that you'll be leaving it for a two crew plane.

Polorutz

Good luck mate and you've already learnt two of the things that you need to know in this game.

1) You learnt from your mistake and took care of it like a man and

2) There are some real arseholes in this game,

On point two you dealt with it like a GOOD future captain.

Work hard and fly safe.:ok:

Well hung and tender
30th Sep 2007, 21:49
Great thread, takes me back to my initial training. Its so tough, I remember when daddy had to sell the pent house apartment he bought me just to pay for my flying training out in Florida:(. Luckily there was some spare change left over to pay for some line training aswell. Anyway the hard part is over, all I have to do now is decide which airline to work for. Anyone know what Virgin is like?:confused:

W.H.A.T. (a real a***hole:})

Polorutz
1st Oct 2007, 09:39
Hey there, I don't know what you are implying with your message....I sold my car to pay for my PPL and the money for CTC is given by HSBC, just to clarify.

busz
1st Oct 2007, 09:51
YUp, i liked reading it. I went through the same selection process nearly 3 years ago and it was nice to read how someone else felt goin through it all. On the 757 now so it all seems very long ago.

Hope you enjoy Hamilton. Im sure you will frequent The BAnk and Coyote's alot. Loved my time there.

Irish_Stu
1st Oct 2007, 17:11
How you finding the flying etc now Busz? Is it everything you thought it would be?

busz
2nd Oct 2007, 09:28
Yes, and more. Lots going on with the merger though. CTC is undoubtedly the fastest way to get into the RHS of a commercial jet.

Bambe
2nd Oct 2007, 13:19
Busz...

Can you tell us more about the airline's choice once the training completed...Did you choose Thomas Cook?

Thanks.

Mohit_C
5th Oct 2007, 11:09
Congratulations Polorutz!! One more success story on Pprune. It just shows that if you keep up your determination, you get what you want.

Mooney12
5th Oct 2007, 16:47
It should be noted though that once you get into CTC its not the end of the story...plenty of airlines CTC try to place you with require you to do their own selection procedure...

busz - aren't you too busy partying to fly? ;)

poss
5th Oct 2007, 16:48
haha great story man, really glad you passed. What im confused about is how you got the HSBC to deposit the cash bond as you did mention no ties to a house. From what i've read up on something to secure the money on is required.

Shakuri
5th Oct 2007, 21:46
Have a look at CTC's website (www.ctcwings.com (http://www.ctcwings.com)) to see how the finance works.

kiwi chick
7th Oct 2007, 20:05
Oh, boy-oh-fricken-boy!! :ugh:

I've been on leave for a week, hence my delay in responding, gone till november

Let me just share one or two things with you. Actually, before I waste any of my time on you, have you read any of my other posts..? I'm guessing not. :ugh: Or you wouldn't have made such a stupid comment...

Firstly - um, jealous - of what?! What do you consider "made it" ? I have my health, I have lots of good friends, and I sleep well at night.

Secondly, I have no interest whatsoever in flying a two-crew job. I quite like being in charge of my own aircraft, thank you.

Thirdly, my office job, whilst maybe boring to you, has taught me some fundamentals - such as spelling. Also, as I'm an independent grown-up, I have to pay my own bills and not rely on the Government to fund all the fun stuff for me.

And finally, I have a boss who hired me to fly because of my skills and personality, not because I came off a conveyor belt with a pretty certificate.
:ok:

1) You learnt from your mistake and took care of it like a man and :D :D

It's people like you that make me feel better about myself. :ok:

Thank you! :)

Polorutz
7th Oct 2007, 21:04
please guys don't turn this thread into an insult party, if you don't agree with the views on it please just say so with a respectful manner, don't attack each other, that's what private messages are for.

kiwi chick
7th Oct 2007, 22:14
I have no intention of attacking anyone, just setting the record straight from some comments that were blatantly untrue ;)

kiwi chick
8th Oct 2007, 00:39
Hahahahaha!! Whoops! :O :O :O

Tis cause I went back in to edit it

Imagine the difficulty I have trying to count the wings on my plane? ;)

Shakuri
8th Oct 2007, 11:07
Plorutz- are you planning on making a blog when you go over to NZ? I think you should

Neo_RS14
8th Oct 2007, 11:57
Just thoguht I'd say thanks for creating this thread Polorutz. I have my phase 2 tomorrow, and I found your story nothing less than inspirational. I have already had my fair share of challenges and sometimes yes you do feel like giving up as you get so upset, but you just have to keep getting back on your horse, and I think this piece you wrote demonstrates this perfectly.

Good luck to you in your training, and I hope you are succesful in your dream of becoming a commercial airline pilot.:ok:

Polorutz
9th Oct 2007, 12:51
shakuri, I have thought of writing a blog, I did write a blog when I did my PPL and I probably will write one for the CTC training.

Chrisbowe82
9th Oct 2007, 22:50
Hi this is my first post that I felt compelled to make.

Firstly it seems a lot of people don't understand how the CTC route works, or indeed how the funding works, and are quick to judge here. Maybe they would like to read into it a bit more before making comments such as "selling daddy's penthouse" or maybe even attend one of their seminars. Just a thought!

Polorutz, thank you for a very interesting post. I'm hoping to take this very route myself in a few months time. I personally found the post a good insight into not only the processes of selection, but also the emotional aspect of it as well. I hope that you'll update this thread as much as you can, because it has been a good read for myself and others I'd imagine hoping to go through CTC. I won't wish you luck, because hopefully your skill will see you through, but look forward to reading any updates

-Chris.

gone till november
9th Oct 2007, 23:51
polorytz

Of course your right and as a fairly level headed adult i wont.

But i still sense a touch of anger and distress in kiwi chicks comments. She may have convinced herself of what she says but i just dont buy it.

kiwi

Also, as I'm an independent grown-up, I have to pay my own bills and not rely on the Government to fund all the fun stuff for me.

Says it all really as everyone through CTC has had no government funding what so ever including myself who like many have sacrificed much to get to the "FUN STUFF":cool:

Instead of criticising Polo you should thank him for taking the time to help other CTC'ers. Note how only you and only one other person has had a bad word to say about some blokes joy and happiness what kind of person are you that tramples over other peoples success.

Also if my comment about learning from your mistakes makes you feel sick then im glad as its a biggie in very part of not just avaition but life.

Anycase im bored of you and your bad attitude and i dont want to read any of your previous post and dont give a stuff about my spelling so good luck with your life and safe flying.

Further more if you have any moral guidance or professionalism you'll leave it there and let Polo have his day....I am.

Polorutz

As i said before well done its a fantastic opportunity take it and run fast with it and enjoy looking down on the clouds for once. But beware you will meet some tossers along the way....just deviate and avoid the build up.:ok:

kiwi chick
10th Oct 2007, 20:53
gone til november

Just one question? Can you show me where and what I said that was:

only you and only one other person has had a bad word to say about some blokes joy and happiness what kind of person are you that tramples over other peoples success.

As for:

Also if my comment about learning from your mistakes makes you feel sick then im glad as its a biggie in very part of not just avaition but life.

giggle - just how old are you?! :ooh: I think you missed this point completely - it was your comment "dealt with it like a man" that made me feel sick.

Anycase im bored of you and your bad attitude and i dont want to read any of your previous post

Not perhaps, because you will find nothing to justify your childish comments?

Grow up.

Polorutz, as I said before, Good Luck with your endeavours! :ok:

I'm off to chat with the Grown Ups. ;)

Regards

KC

kiwi chick
10th Oct 2007, 21:27
GTN...

Just one more thing that I wasn't going to add, but what the hell... I will!

Do you remember where CTC is? And where I am...?! And where they get their instructors that teach all you fellows...?! ;)

Take care!

KC :ok:

chrisd7
16th Oct 2007, 08:57
Hey Polorutz,

what date are you flying out and are you flying out with Emirates or Singapore Airlines? Cant wait to get out there and join you, great story and read by the way, let me know the address if you set up the blog.

Chris

nike
16th Oct 2007, 09:06
KC, you have really done yourself a disservice on this one.

Exhibitz
17th Oct 2007, 21:54
Bit of a shame about the drama in this thread, I personally have found this post one of the more insightful and interesting posts on this forum. Keep up the good work Polorutz!

Geetea
18th Oct 2007, 21:58
Got through my stage 3 and 4 yesterday and today,so pending medical il be out in NZ next year with those fiesty New Zealand women!!;) Got the decision though(again medical dependant) on when to go out,march is the first month available to me yet if i stay until june,i get a degree aswell.... Looks like il be packing some winter gear for NZ!!

From a student that has worked his ass off to stay out of debt while at uni,this inevitable 70k loan looks all the sweeter:)

kiwi chick
18th Oct 2007, 22:02
Hahahaha!! :D :D

We're all here and waitin for ya - might even come with beer in hand! ;)

Kiwi Chick :ok:

cdelonge
28th Apr 2008, 20:49
Hi there,

Firstly I would just like to say how much I enjoyed reading your thread on your journey to CTC Newzealand! Very reassuring, especially for someone just about to undertake their phase 2 of the CTC selection process at the end of this month. Although coming out of college with alevels in maths and physics, the thought of the coming phase 2 and 3 is rather daunting! Do you have a private email address, that maybe I could talk to you there on, if you would be interested in giving me an incite, advice n maybe some reassurance as to what to expect, and what is expected of me during the coming selection process, and ultimately getting myself to where you are now. Thank you very much for your time, and would greatly appreciate your time.

Yours

Chris Delonge

Kerosine
28th Apr 2008, 21:38
KiwiChick, I think the premise for your first few posts was sound, posting a random blog can be seen as a bit self-indulgent and gives out a strange message, unfortunately you've been backed into a corner! Oo, you are a feisty one though :ok:

I'm sure Polorutz is a sound chap, I'll be keeping my eye on this thread as it has the potential to be a really interesting one. Remember Mazzy's thread on the Private Flying forum, "Zero to PPL"? Currently on 47 pages!

Polorutz
28th Apr 2008, 21:59
cdelonge, check pm.

Kerosine, im' already in Hamilton almost half-way through the training and even though I was planning on writing a blog I decided not to so sorry to disappoint there, however, the experience here has been both unique and eye opening, it's a bit different with what you expect but in the end it all works out!, lately it's been raining quite a bit and we can't fly much :( but meh... that happens in every flight school every now and then.

sensible2k4
29th Apr 2008, 09:45
I too have received that "i'm sorry to say you havent passed this time" phone call, and it is a horrible feeling.
however a year later and a change of career, and they are happy for me to go do my phase3 again any time, but while i'm making money i want to stick at it for at least a few more months. fingers crossed the next tests will go a lot better.
The main thing i did wrong, was trying too hard to not appear over confident or "cocky" if you know what i mean? ended up shooting myself in the foot there!

GL in your studies :ok:

CitiflyerMan
29th Apr 2008, 11:43
sensible2k4,

It might be a good thing you didn't pass selection. From what i've been told there aren't that many jobs at the end of the process these days. Courses are too big now....such a shame.

CFM

Polorutz
1st May 2008, 00:43
No CP has yet been jobless at the end of the training... easyjet which was the main recruiter for CTC has stopped taking candidates for a while but there are other options to those willing to be flexible.

komac2
1st May 2008, 06:37
Like this?

The academy has the reputation of 100 per cent placements and last year it also had a cadet appointed with Indian-private carrier, Jet Airways. Jones mentioned

http://www.expresstravelworld.com/200804/aviationworld04.shtml