PDA

View Full Version : Bristow academy

Cullear1
26th Sep 2007, 15:16
i have been trying to access the bristow academy website of helicopter adventures in Florida and am unable to get a connection to it, would anyone have a telephone number that i could contact them from the uk. many thanks.

s61Oneday
26th Sep 2007, 15:27
Presume you're trying www.heli.com?

Here is their free phone number from the UK: (0800) 169-8647

Good luck.

Bravo73
26th Sep 2007, 15:41
0800 1698647

H T H

Cullear1
26th Sep 2007, 15:59
Many thanks,

Bravo73
26th Sep 2007, 16:05
You're welcome :ok:

ŜOS
29th Jun 2008, 17:04
Hi there!

I hope it's ok to post this thread here. But i just wanted to ask if there is someone here going to Bristow this September for a flight training?
I am going ther in the beginning of September for the combined JAA/FAA CPL(H) course.

And if there is someone here that went to this school, please comment and tell me youre expirience of Bristow :)

Regards,
ŜOS

BusinessMan
30th Jun 2008, 01:14
Hello, there are plenty of BA graduates on the forum but you may get a better response if you had some specific questions :). Is there something in particular you are wanting to hear about?

Trans Lift
30th Jun 2008, 01:15
Hey there. I did the combined course last year. Completed it in December, then finished off the FAA licenses. I was then lucky enough to be offered a job here at the school. I definitely think you made a good decision to come here. Its a busy school, so you will get used to flying in a busy airspace which will come in handy. The safety record of the school is fantastic as we have a superb maintenance team and Bristow's 'Target Zero' policy tries to keep it that way.
Weather is great most of the year, we have the thunderstorm season now, so that can put a stop to the flying during the day for a couple of hours. But September is a nice month to start because you'll have great weather until at least April.
All in all you'll have a great time here and learn to fly with professional people who love what they do and are pretty good at it!!:ok:

b.a. Baracus
30th Jun 2008, 14:41
Does the Bristow Academy ground school for the JAA CPL(H) Course also cover ATPL Theory (i.e including the additional subjects for the issue of a JAA IR(H)) ?

funfinn2000
30th Jun 2008, 15:07
The Bristow school is the best place to learn all you need to start off your career. The ground school is fanastic and the people are great,just beware of the strip clubs and drunken Norweigians that only speak to you when they have had a shot of yeager. Be patient with the schedule and you will be fine. The JAA has some excellent ground instructors that have been there for many years. It's offically still hurrican season until November so that's fun, Plan on spending about $3-4000 on a decent car as you will be able to get what you paid for it back after your 2 years, The honda jap import seems to be the best at holding value.

Get an apartment near the beach, Titsville has recenty appeared on Cops I hear. Keep yer nose clean and keep yer head down and you will get a job, try to get experience in the R22 after you do JAA as if you dont get a job with HAI you will find it hard to get work anywhere else if you dont have the 22.

Bring plenty of money,

And stay away from any of my ex girlfreinds

Trans Lift
30th Jun 2008, 16:23
Yeah the JAA groundschool does the ATPL theory! 14 exams, lots of fun!!!:ugh:

wardy20
2nd Jul 2008, 11:39
Hey Pos, I'm heading over in November for the FAA CPL course, its all I could get into. Been hearing mostly good things about the place aswell from ex-pupils etc. The combined is the ideal course alright you lucky git! Sure i'll chat you over there

BusinessMan
2nd Jul 2008, 16:08
(Pos - thought it might be of use to others to post my response to your PM about BA)

Hi Pos,

The job market is highly variable with time so I'll leave it to the JAA Head of Training when he does his talk in your first week regarding paths and prospects so that you have some info that's most up to date than I could give. Most people who aren't sponsored (c50% of the class) seem to aim for either instructing at BA or IR/Offshore after the course.

Typical training day is 3 x 2 hour lessons in groundschool on any of the subjects that you're studying in that phase (2 phases, each with half the ATPL exams). Eg Radio Nav, Air Law then POF. The ground instructors are all very good, covering the subject really well rather than just feeding you the minimum to answer the exam Qns.

After 7 weeks of groundschool you alternate days G'school with flying for 18 weeks. Flying days are eg: up at 6, at flightline for 7, pre-flight & briefs before lift at 8:30. Fly for an hour or so, debrief til 10. Then same process later on, say 14:00 slot. Tiring but great fun :O

Titusville isn't very lively (Shuttle launches aside :D) but there is Cocoa Beach and plenty of other places to go see or visit.

Summerhill is good, bit better than Windover but I think you pay for it. I'm biased though :p

Anyway, you'll have a fantastic time. just listen to the other posts re bringing plenty of money, in particular a few $k right from the start as you cannot do anything in the US without a car. Also, suggest you aim to be out at least a week before you're due to start because you want to get all the boring admin squared away before the course starts; it is intense:}. (I mean buying a car, takin FL driving tests, TSA fingerprinting, FAA Medical, place to live, furniture etc etc).

Hope that helps.

BM

ketchup
2nd Jul 2008, 17:28
Funfinn,

It was actually Redheads and Cocoa beach...

BTW,
Brandy says hi...

Ketchup

malc4d
3rd Jul 2008, 07:20
Wardy20,
What are you planning to do with just FAA ratings in Ireland ?
Has anyone got a job in Eu land with a FAA cpl, or are you planning on converting when you get back .

wardy20
3rd Jul 2008, 09:55
Howaya Mac, I'm planning on getting as many hours as I can in the states and then trying the middle east as the FAA licences are recgonised there. If not, it'll mean doing the conversion.

malc4d
3rd Jul 2008, 12:03
sounds like a plan..........:ok:

funfinn2000
5th Jul 2008, 16:50
Hey Wardy, I think you should do the FAA IR CPL and then CFI at Bristow then get a job to get hours up. you on a J1 visa?? When ya get a job you could do the distance learning JAA in spare time.

Ketchup!! Brandi is a drop in te Ocean

Say Hi for me

Stoey
5th Jul 2008, 20:11
It could be an idea to start with the M1 visa until you get your private licence plus 50 hours, then change it to a J1 visa, that buys you a lot of time, some people do it here at Hillsboro and some dont, I did it and I am happy I did, it buys you a lot of time to seek jobs and so on.

Good luck. :ok:

HillerBee
6th Jul 2008, 09:40
Wardy,

I would highly recommend doing your JAA CPL/ATPL when you're there and in learning mode. There is one school where you can do the consolidation courses in Florida and I think the exams as well. Just email PACO. The Middle East thing is very unlikely to work as you won't get enough hours to go there, and you need an ATP.

ŜOS
6th Jul 2008, 17:36
Hi guy's!

Does anyone know about any good apartments or good place to live at during the training? I've heart that Titusville is not the best place, but does anyone know anything about Rockledge? How far it is from the school?

Regards,
ŜOS

Gordy
6th Jul 2008, 18:48
Rockledge is a dormitory community about 20-25 miles away. With traffic may take 45 minutes to drive. Not all of Titusville is bad. I have a home in a deed restricted area of Titusville that I am trying to sell?????

Sanford
6th Jul 2008, 19:11
There's a terrible lack of info on this site regarding the Flightline interview!!! What are they currently asking at interview? What questions? What is the interview like? Does anyone know?

I have an interview soon. Can anyone help?

Sanford

ŜOS
6th Jul 2008, 19:50
thank you Gordy.

Does anyone know about any good places to rent near the school?

ŜOS :O

mikelimapapa
6th Jul 2008, 19:54
If you want to be close to the school with not alot of distractions, I would recommend Summerhill.....its right down the street. If you choose to stay in Titusville, stay away from Windover...that place is horrible.

If I had to do it again I would find a place in Port Canaveral, not to far away, but alot closer to things you want to do on your time off. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Gordy
6th Jul 2008, 19:55
There are hundreds of places to rent near the school--it may be easier to wait till you actually get there and take a look around.

nicksmalley
6th Jul 2008, 19:57
I would agree...Summerhill is pretty nice:

Summerhill Apartments - Apartment Rental Community in Titusville, FL offering one, two and three bedroom apartment homes (http://www.summerhilltitusville.com)

Only 5-10mins from school, pool, gym, Walmart nearby...easy living

Oneflewover
7th Jul 2008, 15:15
POS - As many have already said, Titusville is not the most exciting of places. Rockledge wouldn't really be an option either. Best places to live are Port Canaveral (about 20mins to school and right by the beach), Cocoa Beach (a few mins further but, again, right by the beach) or Merritt Island (about 15/20mins to school and 5mins to the beach.

Summerhill Apts are nice but the problem you'll find is that there is nothing around the "neighbourhood".

Best advice I could give you would be to try and get a house with a few other students around Merritt Island/Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area. Difficult to organise before you get there but worth it if you can do it. The school should provide you with the contact details of your future classmates so you could email a few of them to see if they're interested in sharing a place.

Final bit of advice is when you attend school to be as professional as possible. You are being watched from the start (in terms of your suitability for a job and for references onwards) and it is important that you keep your head down and show you're working hard. The school has grown over the past couple of years and things may not always run as smoothly as you'd like so you can expect to get p*ssed off at some point but just keep smiling!!!!

electric69
7th Jul 2008, 15:31
The commute from Cape Canaveral / cocoa beach is about 20-25 mins pending on traffic. nice place to live and its within walking distance of everything you need.Stay away from Lido's!!
Titusville, aka hepa-titusville or ****usville (for obvious reasons) isnt exactly the most exciting place to live in.More suitable to the locals who drive their 6ft raised pickup trucks around in mud and watch nascar 24/7 when drinking their budweiser. Still... there are plenty of students around there so your not going to be on your own.

Ketchup and Funfinn... Erin said to say hi too! ;)

ŜOS
9th Jul 2008, 23:28
Hi fellas!

I'm joining Bristow in the beginning of September, and will start my Combined FAA/JAA training 8th(or10th) of September. Is there someone here starting on this same course and same time? :O

ŜOS

photex
15th Jul 2008, 21:59
I'm heading over to the academy in May '09 so looking forward to meeting some of you guys.

I have a quick question for those in the know..

How much does a newly qualified FI earn at Bristow's?

also, I found this...

YouTube - Peter Coombes Bristow Academy JAA 22 - Casualty to Captain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3U-YhJxFLw&eurl=http://www.helitorque.com/portal/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2604)

electric69
16th Jul 2008, 00:48
A new CFI is starting off at a pretty poor wage but the amount of hours which they can fly is far greater than that at any other school. I dont know the exact amount but im sure that there arent too many of them out of the streets!

Great vid of the next JAA class to graduate in August!:D :ok:

Pilot.Pete
16th Jul 2008, 21:45
That will be my video. :)
We have just a few more exams to go and we will be out your way.

It's been a tough but brilliant year and I’ve made some great friends, it's an excellent school, I would recommend 100%.

Your love it.

Peter

ŜOS
21st Jul 2008, 21:16
i'm starting in September, and i can't wait! Are there any special books you would recommend read before the training?

anybody els starting in September??

ŜOS

Finalspls
21st Jul 2008, 23:29
Ive been around to the Summerhill apartments too. Quite a nifty place and very close to the ground + flying school. Windover Oaks was a famous area for students from the school. Although not quite as nice as the summerhill area. But im not too sure how the prices of both weigh up. Then again,SUmmerhill apartments just opened when i went around,so might have changed since then. And Titusville isnt really a bad place to stay,you get your dodgy areas, but you`ll know which those are as soon as you start rolling through them streets.
As a whole,not too much to distract you from your flying studies, except for frequent trips to the good ol Irish Pub. :=

Pilot.Pete
23rd Jul 2008, 01:31
I had to make a few change's, the new video can be seen here.
YouTube - Peter Coombes Bristow Academy JAA 22 - Casualty to Captain (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5l9q4mXX0)

Enjoy and see you all in September.

Anyone need a car :ok:

electric69
23rd Jul 2008, 13:33
Very nice new video pilot pete!:ok:

How much is the car going for?:}

madman1145
24th Jul 2008, 10:17
I stayed in Rockledge during my studies at HAI/BA in '06. Sure its 35 min. drive away, but not too bad of a drive actually ..

Had a nice, friendly and helpfull roomie (the owner), nice newer sturdy house, all expenses incl. in the rent. Felt very welcome there, nice neighbours, shopping nearby and I95 a blink away, quiet clean neighbourhood ..
I know she, my former roomie, is looking for a new roomie, so if anyone wants to stay in Rockledge, drop me a PM and I give you the details and contact ..

itsthatphil
24th Jul 2008, 23:05
Pete,

if you don't mind answering, could you say how much you've spent on:

training
accomodation
misc [food etc]

over the period of the course.

also, do you have any flying work lined up?

i seriously looked into bristows about 3yrs ago but plans changed and the cash wasn't there. now it is and i'm still interested but a little hesitant - those extra 3 years i guess!

cheers,
phil.

KrisRamJ
25th Jul 2008, 02:16
I'm from the UK, I went to Bristow's Academy March 2005 - March 2006, from zero hours to CFII, all FAA, my total training cost including all flying and books etc was $49,700, rent was $5,000 (shared 2 bed in Windover), phone, gas and leccy bills were about $2,000, food was about $3,000, about $5,000 was spent on fuel and car depreciation, so $65k was my total. I got employed by Rotors of the Rockies in Denver because I had a friend there. I was lucky, one of my friends was driving all over the USA looking for work for over 4 months.

wardy20
26th Jul 2008, 16:23
Hey KrisramJ,

I'm booked into bristow for this november to start the FAA Pro Pilot Course. Did you go over on the J-1 visa?

Cheers,
Wardy

TJF97
26th Jul 2008, 21:00
Has anyone gone over there with a wife/partner/significant other recently?

I'm starting on the FAA Pro course in November, and I'm taking my wife with me.

Just after some advice about how previous students partners have got on. I'm thinking about things like work, sharing accomodation or getting our own place and dealing with me constantly studying for 9 months.

I'm glad she is letting us put our life on hold for a couple of years, so not taking her is not an option. No kids that I know of, so thats not a worry.

Cheers

TJF97

KrisRamJ
26th Jul 2008, 23:32
Hey Wardy

I went there on J-1, yes. There were a few cheeky buggers who went over a few months before (on an M-1 visa I think) and did their private then returned to Europe, got the J-1 and went back out to Florida to continue their training. It bought them an extra 3 months at the end for hour building as a CFI.

I chose not to do that because I was told it could jeopardise the J-1, but at the end of my time in the USA I wished I'd had that extra time. It *really* sucks having to leave a job that is building your hours at an obscene rate and having to give up the student base you've worked so hard at building up. It forces you to step out into the turbine world though, so it's not all bad!

Kris

tonge
27th Jul 2008, 19:26
If you don't mind me asking, what do people end up doing after Bristow Academy? I only ask because a guy I work with, his brother was at Bristow's and he is now a working in an office!! He came home early with just his CPL and didn't do anything with it.

Do people carrying on instructing in JAA land or do the majority go to the "rigs"??

I'd personally like to come back to my day job and carry on where I left off. Then do the onshore charter work on my days off, I currently work 4 days on 4 days off.

Thoughts/ info please.

offshore_taxidriver
28th Jul 2008, 12:39
You could get your hands on £40k and do an initial ME-IR, opening up a few doors.

S76driver
28th Jul 2008, 13:01
Love the videos etc....takes me back to my time there May 2003 to Oct 2004 (JAA course 9), what a place to learn to fly, and so many different people from so many varying backgrounds...wish I was going again.

Best of luck to all of you heading out there soon! :ok:

Jon181082
6th Dec 2008, 10:20
Hi,

Please could a Bristow academy student, private message me. Preferably someone who has nearly finished the JAA/FAA program. I'd just like to ask few questions.

thanks
Jon

ape1968
29th Dec 2008, 00:09
Anyone out there heading to BA for the March Course?

wardy20
30th Dec 2008, 04:42
I started the FAA commercial course this month.nice balance of groundschool and flying.The weather is great,flying with doors off quite a lot,beats the Emerald Isle any day! Apart from the lack of mountains of course.And as S76driver said, so many people from different countries.

Pilot.Pete
30th Dec 2008, 07:41
Hi Jon I finished there in September, this was my video of my year out there. I was JAA22

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7g5l9q4mXX0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7g5l9q4mXX0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I injoyed it very much, it's hard work and a great school.

Feel free to PM me if you have some questions

Peter

Capt.Gonzo
30th Dec 2008, 13:12
@Pilot.Pete

Nice video, nice helicopters, nice landscape :D

I just wonder: is there a dresscode at bristow, do the students have to wear those white shirts and dark trousers?

Phil77
30th Dec 2008, 15:02
Yes there's a dresscode for the JAA course (black slacks, white shirt, no tie, black shoes), not so for the FAA students... except that there is a policy to wear long pants and proper shoes to fly - makes sense if you are looking at snake bites in the swamp after an emergency landing; won't help you much with the alligators though! :eek:

Capt.Gonzo
30th Dec 2008, 17:38
thanx for the info Phil77 :ok:

Gordy
31st Dec 2008, 00:51
makes sense if you are looking at snake bites in the swamp after an emergency landing; won't help you much with the alligators though!

And you really think that "black slacks" will save you from a snake bite?? I guess you never saw the picture of the snake eating the alligator down there huh? I would rather take my chances with a gator.

birrddog
31st Dec 2008, 05:06
Reminds me of my time at Bristow Academy when it was still HAI in '06.... the practice areas where over swamps with hunters going after gaiters right near where we were doing auto's, etc.

Had a bit of fun chasing boar, doing quickstops...

Very professional outfit.

Good for Samantha that she is now President.

Anyone know if Pat is still involved? (I went to them because my instructor in Wycombe used to fly with him in California and said to look him up... good guy (both of them)

outhouse
31st Dec 2008, 14:34
Pity about the “Corporate Bristow” input, however the old HAI approach still seems to be working. Check for hidden costs into 2009 (never did trust Bristow Corporation after being shafted in 1985).
Well done Sam, and a :ok:Happy New Year.
outhouse

Gordy
31st Dec 2008, 16:40
birddog

Good for Samantha that she is now President.

Not quite....Unless you know what we do not....

Bristow Academy formerly Helicopter Adventures Inc - Helicopter Flight Training (http://www.heli.com/current-student/4-staff-directory.php)

Phil77
31st Dec 2008, 17:27
Gordy: I was thinking more of the smaller species and other critters that bite... I know that a f*** python might not be bothered with a little bit of clothing :(
I'd rather wade a swamp in jeans than boardshorts, but that's just me :\

Patrick now lives in Houston (Bristow HQ) - I stand to be corrected.

Jon181082
27th Feb 2009, 08:27
Hi Guys,

I'm going to enroll in Bristow academy in June 2009 FAA/JAA.

Could someone please kindly give me an update on the current situation over in Florida.

Are people still managing to find work after qualifying to FAA CFII, or have things slowed down dramatically?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.
Jon

dennisky
27th Feb 2009, 09:40
I fisnished BHA april last year.
It was a great year and it has been a lot of fun.
I spent my time in Windover oaks with a roommate.
Not as fancy as Summerhill but it was good enough for us.
Besides the course fee and a car we did spent about $1000
a month each on rent, gas, internet connection, food and other bills.

I'm, after doing my IR in Denmark, working for CHC Netherlands
together with two classmates and a fourth guy from the next
course. Two other ex-BHA did their job interview last month. So
there are job oppurtunities for people graduating BHA and with
a low amount of flying hours.

Feel free to PM me......

Dennis

windowseatplease
27th Feb 2009, 11:15
I know people who have just "graduated" from the Academy and they are saying there aren't many CFI jobs going outside of the Academy unless you have 300-400 hours and R22 time.

So.. either hope the Academy hires you, or spend £50,00 on an IR and hope the North Sea hire you.

dennisky
27th Feb 2009, 12:22
If you shop around for IR, you could be done for about 36,000 euros.

AnthonyCurran
27th Feb 2009, 13:05
Dennisky Check your pm.
Also any advice regarding doing IR course directly after JAA CPL from past BA students that may have gone that route. Want to get straight to offshore work, and hope to complete CPL Modular course with BA later this year, and possibly do IR with them in England. Whats the feelings out there with regards prospects of getting into offshore work with a fresh CPL and IR. Ive spoke to 2 guys in the last month with their IR tickets in hand who haven't had any joy with work. Perhaps a fresh debate on what exactly the operators are looking for at the minute is in order, and whether or not its better to go the instructor route first for hours before shelling out for an IR when you've relatively low hours? Sorry in advance if I've highjacked the wrong thread for this discussion, but with economy's the way they are I think its pretty relevant.

windowseatplease
27th Feb 2009, 13:39
An full JAA IR for £32,000?

Is it April the 1st?

dennisky
27th Feb 2009, 15:26
Billund, Denmark, at Billund air center.

Checked my administration

IR € 36.073,69
Flying a bit more than the package € 1.220,16

Total; € 37.293,85

That's for a full JAA IR

And according my watch it is the 27th of februari 2009 :ok:

windowseatplease
27th Feb 2009, 16:54
Ah yes, the single engine B206 IR. Hence the cheaper price. How will employers view this against all the other applicants with a Multi Engine IR?

dennisky
27th Feb 2009, 17:55
Ah yes, the single engine B206 IR. Hence the cheaper price. How will employers view this against all the other applicants with a Multi Engine IR?

Ah yes, the employers. :)
Well, CHC Netherlands didn't have a problem with it. They employed 4 pilots during the last six months with the single engine IR on the B206. All of them coming fresh out of Florida with BHA (+/- 145 hrs total vfr), all of them done the single engine IR on the B206 with BAC and all of them succesfully flying Multi-engine/multi-crew over the North Sea. CHC had more applicants, even with ME IR. It doesn't make that big of a difference I guess....

Sorry to be off-topic, this is my last response on the IR in this topic. :ok:

sox6
27th Feb 2009, 18:11
Are Bristow not axing the 206 now they have two 355s in Glostershire?

Jon181082
1st Mar 2009, 09:30
Thanks for all the input guys.

Personally, I want to go straight into the North sea offshore work with a full JAA muli- IR from Bond. My only concern is building 1000 hours to the minimum acceptance (Norway). So I'm currently looking into an FAA instructors path.

Any one with past experience, is this the way to go?

TerjeM
1st Mar 2009, 10:59
As far as I know, last job ad from CHC Helicopter Service the requirement was for 200 hours, and I believe for Norsk Helikopter it was 500 hrs. But of course they might adjust the number if there are more helicopter pilots to choose from.

Instructor is the path I am doing, but these days you might just do the JAA CPL and IR and get hired with 200 hours.

Good luck in Titusville!!

Jon181082
6th Mar 2009, 10:17
Hi Guys,

Which books do you study from at Bristow Academy for the FAA CPL, IR, CFI, etc (pro course)

Thanks
Jon

S76driver
6th Mar 2009, 10:32
I don't know if its still the same but when I was there the ASA prepware books were pretty useful. They contain all the questions that can be asked on the computer tests and theres one for each, PPL, CPL, IR, CFI etc.

Also cyclic and collective by Shawn Coyle was popular.

Jon181082
6th Mar 2009, 10:34
ok cool,

I suspected it was ASA

thank you

ŜOS
29th Mar 2009, 22:53
Hey people!

I have an aparment for rent in Titusville Florida. The apartment is in the Summerhill complex, located only few miles away from Bristow Adademy!

The aparment is 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom.

I have a lot of stuff that i need to get rid of as well, and we can make some deal about that. That includes 2 full size bedrooms, dining table, 4 chairs, big lazy-boy sofa, everything in the kitchen and more stuff.

In the apartment is a BIG cleaner, washing machine, big dryer, refrigerator.

So the apartment is ready!

Most of the people that live here in Summerhill are somehow connected to the school, students, instructors, etc.

If you're interested, send me an private msg, and i can send some pictures, and more informations.

Regards,
ŜOS

Jon181082
8th Jul 2009, 13:27
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could kindly help me.

To fill you in with my past experience, I've a JAA PPL (H) / 70hours R22 / passed JAA ATPL Theory. But I have not flown for around 7 to 8 years and my PPL beame invalid in 2006 (type rating invalid 2003)

My plan was to arrive at Bristow Academy in August to get up to speed with things again. Hopefully, starting the FAA IR course in September and following through to CFII, to then convert to JAA accordingly via a modular route.

The problem being,
If I revaildated my JAA PPL with Bristow Academy once I arrived. Will I have to wait 3 months before commencing the FAA IR course in order to process the paperwork to obtain a FAA PPL?

or on the other hand,

If I simply started again from the beginning on the FAA PPL course, which probably isn't a bad idea considering I'm quite rusty. Would it be possible to skim through it cheaply considering I already have the hours, or would I have to obtain all FAA approved course training hours?

thank you for your time

Jon

thecontroller
8th Jul 2009, 13:51
I don't think you will be able to get an FAA PPL issued on the basis on an expired JAA PPL. But i'm not entirely sure. You best check with the Orlando FSDO

North Florida FSDO (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/orl/)

Also, I would check LASORS to see how long your ATPL/CPL exam credits are valid for. You might need to resit the exams before being allowed a JAA CPL.

LASORS: LASORS 2008 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=90&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

Also, you might want to look into how healthy the CFI job market is in the USA (ie not very). If the academy doesn't hire you (they don't hire everyone), then you will be amongst TONS of CFIs currently looking for a job in the USA. I know someone looking at the moment and he is constantly being told "we require 400/500 hours". Even experienced pilots are struggling to find work in the USA.

Phil77
8th Jul 2009, 14:06
Would it be possible to skim through it cheaply considering I already have the hours, or would I have to obtain all FAA approved course training hours?

No, I don't think you have to do the "approved course" (FAR Part 141 regulations) for your PPL, you can go the much less stringent Part 61 route. You could still attend the ground school (six weeks) but there's no need to burn money - for example on cross-country flights - you would just do lessons on a "as needed" basis. You fly until you are up to speed and got the minimum requirements down - here are the regs: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=926cdff615d4510b14ab514957a327fc;rgn=div5;vie w=text;node=14%3A2.0.1.1.2;idno=14;cc=ecfr#14:2.0.1.1.2.5.1. 5)

The IFR course is also a Part 141 course, so should there be any restrictions for your visa (I assume J-1?!) that the training has to be "structured" (?), this course would meet the requirements.

thecontroller
8th Jul 2009, 14:11
You can only do the FAA part 61 IR course if you have a certain number of cross-country hours.

Phil77
8th Jul 2009, 14:11
You best check with the Orlando FSDO

Cross post with mine... I don't think that calling the feds will be necessary - if you are still in doubt after reading the regs (again: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=926cdff615d4510b14ab514957a327fc;rgn=div5;vie w=text;node=14%3A2.0.1.1.2;idno=14;cc=ecfr#14:2.0.1.1.2.5.1. 5)) call the Bristow Academy.
The FSDO people will tell you exactly what I posted above (meet the regs and you are fine) but they will not be able to tell you if you are maybe breaching Visa regulations with one or the other option.

Jon181082
8th Jul 2009, 14:33
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies :)

I've just spoken with Bristow and they said my best course of action would be to skim through the FAA course, for filling only the requirements that my JAA PPL lacks. ie night rating, etc

JAA ATPL exams are still safe for another two year, thank goodness :)

As for the Job market. Gotta just painfully "bite the bullet" and jump in otherwise you won't get anywhere.

Thank you everyone.

Jon

Gordy
8th Jul 2009, 15:46
Why waste money---you already have a PPL albeit expired. You are NOT able to get a pvt based upon an expired foreign license and will have to wait for it to be current again in order to obtain an FAA license based upon it.

14 CFR 61.75 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=8a90346120cb358b10fdbe33e49c99f2&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14)

Phil posted the requirements for the whole part 61 course. My advice would be to get the JAA current again, do the night flying which you cannot log as PIC anyway, then start the instrument ground school while waiting for your JAA license. Once it arrives, you can apply for the FAA pvt based upon it, (this will now be just a paperwork exercise). NOW, you can log PIC for the rest of your training.

thecontroller
8th Jul 2009, 16:29
NOW, you can log PIC for the rest of your training.

Only for FAA licences, not towards a JAA licence. The FAA and JAA have different definitions of PIC.

Gordy
8th Jul 2009, 17:27
Only for FAA licences, not towards a JAA licence.

Yep, you are correct. I was meaning all the training prior to him converting.

AM1212
5th Aug 2009, 05:00
Hello,

I've been researching Bristow Academy, and it seems like a great flight training school. I'm interested in taking their complete FAA professional pilot program. I live in California and am unable to go check out the school personally so I was hoping I could recieve comments from people who have attending Bristow Academy, preferably the Florida location. I would like to know about their experiences there (good or bad) and what they thought about it overall. I want to find out if the school is as great as it seems.

Thanks alot.

MartinCh
5th Aug 2009, 05:56
Hello. Welcome to PPRuNe.
Great resource for newbie/wannabe pilots, rotary inclusive. The 'stickies' are there for a reason. Especially http://www.pprune.org/search.php this function when logged in.

As for my personal opinion, I find Bristow Academy bit premium for Americans who don't need JAA (European) papers or J1 visa (still for short while). There is definitely mainly positive feedback about the school itself. But then, any rotary training is going to be expensive.

Do learn about SFAR73 and R22, since it's most common 'trainer' chopper and how having most of time in S300 would affect it. Also count with 200h TT rotary to be able to instruct in R22 in the US. Also the amount of time in R22 and say, at least 25 in R44 for greater chances in tough new CPL(H) market. Etc etc.
You can spend literally months researching various schools, smaller to bigger, pros and cons etc.

system
5th Aug 2009, 09:05
hi huys, going to the bristow academy, titusville, in september (JAA CPL) and looking for a flatmate, car, furnishings and anything else anyone can help me out with, so if theres anyone going over looking for a flatmate or someone there already needing rid of some stuff get in touch.

cheers

foffer
6th Aug 2009, 23:13
Check your PM system!

system
2nd Sep 2009, 00:07
hi guys, got a 2 bedroom apartment at summerhill in titusville and a spare room if someone is looking for a place to stay. Get in touch if you are.

[email protected]

Hopadopter
15th Sep 2009, 22:20
Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is starting the FAA IR course at Bristow on Oct 5th. Also anyone looking to share accomadation, and any other useful contacts.

Jonny109
16th Sep 2009, 12:19
I've just finished my training at BC. Got a few useful books and a motorbike for sale.

stickicky
29th Sep 2009, 17:14
Hey guys,

Ill be going over for the JAA/FAA CPL course in January. Anybody else heading over there around that time? Just looking to share accomadation etc..

Ricko Hougaard
2nd Nov 2009, 22:49
If somebody is starting at Bristow in Titusville Florida on the January class and is looking for an apartment, I have one available since my room mate is done and going home. If you are interested please contact me.

Ricko Hougaard

Trochilidae
4th Nov 2009, 07:57
Ricko,

Check PM's

Cheers, Troch

Marc123
14th Nov 2009, 14:32
Hey

I have 1 room available to rent out in SUMMERHILL. The apartment is fully furnished, got a 28" flat screen HD TV, Xbox, high speed internet (15mb/sec!) and over 1200 TV channels. The apartment is kept clean at all times. You would have your own room complete with King size bed, en-suite and walk in wardrobe.

The rent is the cheapest of the apartments to rent at summerhill, because it doesn't look over the pool or over the lake (an added bonus, as you will soon realize its nice and quiet!).

I am an instructor at the school who came on JAA 25 so if you are coming in January I would be be able to greatly help you with the course if you needed it...also you could have all my old books etc.

Please get in touch if you are interested or want further information.

Marc

Gordy
14th Nov 2009, 16:41
I am an instructor at the school who came on JAA 25 so if you are coming in January I would be be able to greatly help you with the course if you needed it.

I guess the policy of instructors sharing accommodations with students has changed then huh?

Or has it?

Phil77
14th Nov 2009, 17:05
Shame be to him who thinks evil of it.

:E

Dave Spellman
15th Dec 2009, 12:21
Hi there folks!

Just want to get peoples opinions and advice on where to live when attending Bristow Academy in Florida. Would really like to live near the beach say somewhere like Cocoa Beach, but would many students travel out there to actually live...
All suggestions would be greatly appreciated
:ok:

JAA/FAA Pilot
15th Dec 2009, 12:26
Do not go further away than 20 minutes by car. Study hard!
:8

alouette
15th Dec 2009, 12:47
stay close to Titusville. you don't want to commute...:ok:

stringfellow
15th Dec 2009, 18:08
you will be worked harder than you can imagine so a long commute is out of the question you just want to crash out after a long day... i stayed at pelican point in titusville very nice appts you can book it through treder real estate the student officer at bristow will tell you more.

Hedge36
15th Dec 2009, 18:40
I lived at my parents' place over in Brooksville, which is exactly 100 miles away on the other side of the state. This is not the sort of daily commute I'd recommend :eek:

There are a LOT of short-term rentals available in Titusville, and the fine folks at Bristow Academy are well-versed in assisting you with accommodations and, if necessary, finding like-minded flatmates with which to share them.

Trans Lift
16th Dec 2009, 02:54
Summerhill apts (bit more expensive but nice), windover oaks (not bad and cheaper), find a person who needs a roomate with an already furnished place (easiest)

Hot_LZ
19th Dec 2009, 16:04
I assume this thread is my best chance of speaking to pilots who have either attended Bristow Academy or are currently studying. I am looking at attending the academy in the next few years. I have alot of questions regarding the academy, if you wouldnt mind me asking away can you please PM me.

Thanks

LZ

BusinessMan
21st Dec 2009, 09:27
LZ if you post them here then everyone can benefit from the answers. I'd be happy to try to answer a few either way. BM

Hot_LZ
21st Dec 2009, 10:05
Il stick some of my questions down on the forum for the benefit of others but obviously everyone is going to come from different backgrounds and experience. Here goes some of the more generic questions:

How far in advance did you have to book onto a course?
How did people find the pre course administration (visa, funding, accommodation) and how much assistance did BA offer?
How much did you budget for your specific course and living?
On completion of the course what employment opportunities were available and what problems were encountered finding that first break?

Thanks

LZ

Plain Torque
21st Dec 2009, 18:38
How far in advance did you have to book onto a course?I booked about 9 months in advance for the JAA course but that was before there was a waiting list. No sure what the waiting list is like now? If you have all the paperwork sorted and are flexible there always seems to be one person that drops out of a course at the last minute freeing up a place for someone else. So if you’re ready I'm sure you could get on an earlier course.

How did people find the pre course administration (visa, funding, accommodation) and how much assistance did BA offer?I found the assistance and support services incredibly good, in fact at times a little bit too helpful. They have a lot of students to sort out so want to get you settled as quickly as possible and they do this very well if you go with the flow. However, there are some difficult people like me who want to shop around a bit!

How much did you budget for your specific course and living?For the JAA/FAA combined course 2 years ago I budgeted a total of £45,000 but I had a very good exchange rate. When you are in country as a bare minimum you can live on $1000 a month, if you share and don't go out much: $200 food, $400acc, $200bills, $100car insurance and gas, $100 misc. If you want to enjoy your weekends and see some of America which should be part of the experience then add more.

On completion of the course what employment opportunities were available and what problems were encountered finding that first break?If your determined, flexible, resourceful and don't piss anyone off, the first break and job should come. Just start looking early and don’t bank on getting a job at the academy. It is challenging given the current climate however I managed just as things were getting bad and came away with 800 hours and an excellent experience. It is the second break in Europe which is proving challenging! Still no work and back doing a job I was doing as a teenager for 1/3 the salary that I was getting before I headed off to the US. But I'm not giving up!!!

BusinessMan
25th Dec 2009, 08:45
- booking in advance depends upon demand for the course at the time. You'll need a good couple of months for the visa paperwork but with the job market as it is the 18 month waiting lists for the JAA course itself (being quoted in 2007) have evaporated as far as I understand. Best bet is to give Anisha Hopkinson a call at BA (contact details on their website)

- pre-course admin is very good, in general. They are helpful and want to get you sorted so you can concentrate on the course. However, don't expect them to do everything for you - they'll make suggestions, give you contacts and show you around but you've obviously got to get these things done for yourself. They're pretty slick with the visa side of things:)

- course costs are on the Bristow Academy website (they'll have changed from when I went). Living costs I'd agree with Plain Torque, perhaps just adding that you'll need to budget on buying a car at the start and that it is very easy to spend a lot more than you originally budget because there's an active social life etc to up that spend! Cost of flights etc too - would you want to come home for xmas, do you want to see some of the US while you're there etc? That'd all add plenty more etc

- As P T has stated above; there are really 2 times when you're looking for that break. 1stly trying to get a job at Bristow Academy as an instructor (if that's your plan) and then again on return to your country. BA don't take everyone on and their own demand from students will dictate how many people they need. Getting a break back home ... well at the moment the market is dead & it's very, very difficult because there really isnt much to go for. When will the market pick up? That's been discussed on many other threads:sad:. The truth is things change fast and when you'd graduate would be completely different to when we did.

One extra thing to think of, if you hadnt already, is that getting a job with just a CPL isnt likely to happen in the UK. You'll need either an IR(H) or Instructor qual, which will both set you back lots more £. At the moment neither will guarantee you a job though - just a lot more expense!!

HTH. BM

blade400
8th Jun 2010, 00:39
hey guys, im in my last couple of months at bristow academy now so will be leaving to go back home and therefore selling the contents of my appartment, full furnishings including 2 sofas, bed, desk, coffee table, 32" LCD flat screen TV with stand, lounge chair, high table with stools, desk chairs, lamps, all kitchen utensils (minus white goods obviously). You name it and its probably in this package. everything was bought new less than a year ago, mainly from ikea, all matching and colour coordinated, looks really good!! even got 3 white boards. cant put everything on here, but there really is everything to make an empty apartment a home.

also got plenty of photos, looking for $2000 for the lot, and seriously it is worth it, its a real hassel when u first arrive here to get everything sorted out.

also selling my truck, its a 1998 dodge ram, white, runs and drives perfectly and hasnt let me down once all year.

Gordy
8th Jun 2010, 03:43
I gotta say it---and bear with me...tis late at night and I may regret this in the morning....but really.... "little fluffy clouds" is your e-mail address....

Lemme guess, the color scheme is in pink right....hardly the image your average helicopter pilot wishes to portray..... Me thinks that even "fair Whirls"... our token "leveler" of all things...will think this e-mail address may be a little "******"..... :):):):)

mtoroshanga
8th Jun 2010, 10:51
Talk to SASless about your things, he likes pinky fluffy things I've heard!!

muermel
2nd Aug 2010, 16:22
Hi everybody

I'm going to be in the JAA/FAA combined course starting September 13th and I'm looking for a room around Titusville. I'm planning to arrive around September 1st - 5th so if anybody is leaving Titusville and wants to sell his stuff and or car and has a nice room to recommend or knows somebody that is leaving, please PM me or reply here. It's much appreciated. :ok:

greetings

birrddog
2nd Aug 2010, 17:25
If you don't come right before you get there, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express nearby (I was only there for a week though). It was reasonably priced (~$100/day), and staying at a Holiday Inn will make you an expert on anything you plan on doing ;)

It was on the water, pleasant, clean, and a short drive away.

Once you are there no doubt you'll quickly mingle with other students who could help you out, assuming you don't get some leads before hand.

muermel
2nd Aug 2010, 18:01
@ birddog

Thanks for the advice. I read in the student guidebook that there are some hotels in the area that give discounts for Bristow students so you end up with $ 42 for a night at the Best Western in Titusville. But I was going to check the quality of the recommended hotels anyway.

Are you a graduate too?

Greetings

birrddog
2nd Aug 2010, 19:20
Not a graduate though did some refresher training down there.

The advantage of staying at the Holiday Inn means you get to wear this t-shirt and use the expression as an answer to your instructor ;)

http://rlv.zcache.com/no_but_i_did_stay_at_a_holiday_inn_express_las_tshirt-p235303596244552318tdra_125.jpg

hihover
2nd Aug 2010, 20:11
"Professor" I believe!

Tam

marcel1970
5th Oct 2010, 17:15
Hi there,

After a year of great experiences in Titusville and at Bristow we are moving back to Europe again.

Having accumulated complete household inventory in the mean time for a family with two children.

Anyone interested in arriving in Titusville and moving straight in without any hassle looking for all the stuff yourself? Literally everything you need is here. Even a car if you want. And the house for that mater.

Time frame: mid December 2010

Give me a PM

Gr, Marcel

ropelleri
6th Oct 2010, 12:52
Kevin the student services assistant is going to take you to ISLAND MOTORS.
(would not be surprised if he gets a share)
NEVER EVER BUY A CAR FROM "TONY" @ ISLAND MOTORS.
He will take advantage of you knot knowing the value of cars in the states, and 90% of the cars are rubbish and will most likely break down.

Just a heads up........most of my class mates bought their cars from ISLAND MOTORS, not knowing better, and almost all of the cars were overpriced and constantly breaking down.

muermel
6th Oct 2010, 22:32
I can't confirm the former statement. Sure, Island Motors isn't the cheapest place to buy a car. But at least you usually get 30 days of warranty. And if you bargain a bit you sure don't pay the full price.
Had my fan and AC unit replaced, brake discs, parking brake adjusted again and engine check light fixed for free 3 weeks after purchase for a fair price. I was even offered to take a car from the dealership for free for the time my car was being repaired.

I shopped around for cars at other dealerships and private sellers but they are even worse. I test drove 5 Jeeps, no car was in reasonable shape for the advertised prices and none of the dealers or private sellers was willing to agree to a reduction in price cause of the many faults the cars had.

Buying a car here IS a gamble because their is no mandatory checks on the safety and/or condition of your car like in many EU-contries so I was happy to have at least 30 days of warranty.

I bargained a bit with Tony and got a good price. I checked on the web for a comparable car but didn't find anything in range. So I'm quite happy with my car as are all of my classmates. We all agree that it isn't the cheapest place though.

Good idea is to start looking for a car on the web before you arrive here. Choose 2 or 3 specific models and look on the web for offers once in a while. You will get a good idea what is an ok price and what isn't.

Greetings

dinofootball
11th Oct 2010, 16:07
Im looking to head down to Titusville at the end of oct for a few months of training, just curious if anyone around there need a roommate or know of short term places that would be worth while?
I have also thought of just shacking up in a best western or something some what near by for the time being
any insight?
thanks
b

muermel
11th Oct 2010, 22:38
Best Western is ok for some days, for a few months it gets rather pricey. They offer a discount for Bristow Students (have to call them to get it).

My best advice would be to get in touch with Kevin Gallagher at Bristow Academy since he is in charge of the academy's own apartments. The apartments are furnished and for example Summerhill Apartments has a pool, gym, close to the Academy and close to Walmart.

greetings

marcel1970
14th Oct 2010, 15:51
Hey, Google this condominium. They are willing to rent on a month by month basis. Lot of students are moving there as after one year of expensive living in Summerhill - Titusville.

Hawkeye0001
18th Oct 2010, 16:32
If you are staying just for a few months your cheapest bet might be the "Roommates / Shared" section on Craigslist (FL, "Spacecoast Area"). You can find fully furnished rooms and apartments right around the corner from Bristow for well under $450.
I was never upset with it and it saved me a lot of hassle.

wembly
31st Dec 2010, 19:47
anyone trying to get rid of their stuff / car / books / equipments
feel free to pm me:)

ATPMBA
25th Aug 2011, 11:50
Is Bristow academy if Florida still busy with students or has the economy taken its toll?

Any idea if the number of students enrolled? I thought I heard about 200 around the year 2000.

Tug188
1st Jan 2012, 22:45
I have an Toyota Pickup 4x4 for sale! Asking for $3900. Perfect car nothing wrong with it.

DauphinDude
8th Feb 2012, 05:30
The "Bristow route" is a joke. Bristow Academy uses their name for all its worth. From the 08-09 JAA classes not a single European person I know have gotten a job with Bristow. Even the ones who was an instructor there. As for myself I went the FAA route and I have landed a job, but I am also the only one in my class of 14 people. In BA it seems like kissing a** and knifing your fellow students in the back for an instructing position is the norm. Don´t fall for their marketing ploys and google ranking. And also, the sunshine state is really not ideal when having only a two-hour slot and daily rain showers. Save your money and train elsewhere.
No, I am not disgruntled. I never even did the CFIs, R22-transition or went through their asinine "how-to-find-a-job-class". But speaking of disgruntled, chief pilots who are unable to find a job because they are too old and got into the game too late are still roaming around over Titusville with 6000 hours in the Schweizer 300. Oh, and did I mention TWO of my instructors were fired, simply because they were lazy?

Sorry if very off topic, I got a little carried away.

ralphmalph
8th Feb 2012, 11:18
Why should they not get fired if they were lazy?

Pretty straight forward to me!

Ralph

Horror box
8th Feb 2012, 12:11
Exactly Ralph. A lazy pilot is a higher probability of becoming a dead pilot if you ask me. Absolutely dont want that one working with me.
Being sacked for being lazy absolutely sounds fair enough to me, especially if you are supposed to be an instructor passing on your "wisdom and ways" to new pilots. :ugh:

Epiphany
8th Feb 2012, 15:13
Goddammit! What about their human rights man! They have a right to be lazy. Who are we to deny it to them.

MartinCh
8th Feb 2012, 16:07
DD, the 'either 500 ME time or BA integrated course grad' may not be just due to insurance reasons, but I'd hazard a guess that maybe half year or more old 'testimony' of one US based pilot, comparing couple years ago and now, saying it's not as busy as used to be. I haven't been there at all, but it's somewhere in rotorheads subforum. To draw the attention of all the North Sea/offshore cojoe hopefuls in case they're not decided to go 'integrated'. Starts to sound familiar with all the fixed wing guys and marketing tactics. Bristow Academy is too big to have machines underutilised.

GoodGrief
8th Feb 2012, 16:39
Lots of machines, far less students.
There are a lot of voices out there saying it was a much better place when it was run by Patrick.
They seem to have put off a lot of people by emphasizing the JAR system and 'forgetting' about and 'neglecting' the FAA only students.
Hearsay...

MartinCh
8th Feb 2012, 16:51
Well, you should not forget the European financial situation, disposable income, property market, credit options etc. The F1 was sorted in lieu of J1 when the DOS and DOJ haggled about it and industry lobbied enough to get the course cloaked onto academic F1 college/Uni visa.

True. I've heard that about JAA training too. It's better cash cow and their rates, even for FAA, are not the most competitive with other heli schools for those who don't need to go to Bristow Academy. Pay as you go local students will think twice. Also the R22 US training market position does not help. BA still has some Latin/Central America military training programmes/cadets. They advertised for some Spanish speaking instructors again recently.

DauphinDude
9th Feb 2012, 01:40
You are completely right when it comes to neglecting FAA-students. "Priority" comes in the following order:

1. Military (South American).
2. Contract (mostly asians).
3. JAA/EASA.
4. FAA.

JAA/EASA is very structured, and have "ground days" and "flight days" throughout the year. In FAA you are at your instructors good grace.

Oh and when I told two of my instructors were fired, that itself is not a bad thing, but it makes you think about what kind of people they employ in the first place. I had the impression it was those who kissed most a** who had the best chance.

MartinCh
9th Feb 2012, 17:09
DD, I see the few posts about BA were split from jobs thread. Understandable, if handful of posts are OT..

Well, the reactions you got from other pilots about being fired for laziness, was to the way you posted your statement, as if you're condoning or defending right to be lazy. I wasn't there and don't know details. I could ask one friend who trained there around that time, but he may not know either, since it's big place with many students and instructors.

Well, not to be petty, but people don't show their worst at the job interview and there's supposed to be ongoing assessment/info about the student that should speak for itself at the job interview for CFI job later on. Shame that they got complacent and taking stuff for granted to the extent of being fired. It goes to show that they'd still fix things, despite some preferential hiring. After all, it's down to the managers and chief/asst chief pilots who take the decisions.

I could understand local students, training part time, making their way to airport for the lesson, only to find out about huge delays or their slot bumped up/cancelled because of other training flights. It should only happen if said booked aircraft goes tech and then, they should be notified straight away.

Hedge36
9th Feb 2012, 17:24
Or show up to complete your 161 program only to find that it's been moved to Louisiana :ooh:

DauphinDude
9th Feb 2012, 17:33
BA wants you money. Just like all other flight school I guess, but smaller flight schools do not have the chance of abusing their position of being the biggest heli-school branded with the Bristow trademark.

For me, I got through it all, and I was able to secure employment while doing the CPL, promising to finish real soon. Real soon became sooner or later, and sooner or later became later. In the end I felt that was a personal embarrassment, not to mention the obvious jealousy among instructors and other students.

Oh, and in the end I was approached by one guy higher up who wanted me as a "success story" on their web page. I declined at that point as I was pretty irritated on how they were running things.

ŜOS
3rd Apr 2012, 01:56
If there are some current Bristow, Florida students here could you please contact me, need some info and contact details for housing and etc.

Gordy
3rd Apr 2012, 02:12
I have a house for rent in Titusville, 3 bedroom, 3 bathrooms, office, dining room, dbl car garage, covered pool etc.... Message me for details if interested.

Chris Woods
3rd Jul 2012, 15:06
Hi Everyone Im new here so dont diss me just yet, if i have really stupid questions.

First of all anyone here that, right this moment goes to bristow in titusville for heli cert.

Im in the just in the starting prosses of going but my aim is may 2013. I really feel that i need to find people that have bean were im now. so much to learn and know. :ugh:

Feel free to start gossip. im all ears.

Chris W

Hawkeye0001
3rd Jul 2012, 22:34
It's quite an exciting time for you, big step. What do you want to know?
In general Bristow is pretty good on guiding you through all the paper work, visa applications, and setting you up with housing, car, etc. once you are there. Being a US resident you won't even have half the hassle anyone requiring a visa would have anyway. :hmm:

It's always a good idea to do some home study and thus safe time & money later on. Get yourself a copy of the "FAA Rotorcraft Flying Handbook" (book or free download on faa.gov) and Wagtendonks "Principles of Helicopter Flight" for starters, that'll keep you busy for a while :)

FullTravelFree
9th Oct 2012, 06:39
Looking for a CFII, who can give me an FAA IR refresher, somewhere in EU-land.
Time and location needs to be set.

I'm aiming for someone who has done their two years of Titusville,
and coming back to europe in november or december this year...

Please use PM.

Thanks,

FTF

jockmacstrap
8th Aug 2013, 13:59
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to go to Bristow Academy early next year. After talking to a few pilots here in Aberdeen, Scotland that work for Bristows and other North Sea companies, they have recommended going to BA and doing the FAA Commercial program and then transferring license over here and doing ATPL here.

I'm planning on taking the family (wife, 4yr old and 2yr old). Does anyone know the best place to stay for families? We can cope with 2 bedrooms but preferably 3. Also looking for car, motorbike, furniture etc.

Does everyone buy their own headsets? If so, which ones are best?

Anyone else heading out next year?

I hope the exchange rate improves. :eek:

Hot_LZ
8th Aug 2013, 21:34
Hi Jock.

Are you sure the NS pilots advised that route? That won't work for you as there is no such thing as a conversion. Your path depends on what you want to do at the end. If you're a Brit the EASA course is a must as that is what you need to work in Europe. If you want to stay in the US for up to a year after your training you will have the option of completing the FAA courses but to be considered as an instructor you will need the FAA CPL, IR, CFI and CFII. Make sure you do your research as the Student Services at the Academy do pass off bum info.

If you want more info PM me.

LZ

jockmacstrap
8th Aug 2013, 21:48
The plan is to do the FAA Professional Program and hopefully stay on as a CFI for hour building. After that return to the UK and do the ATPL ground school at Bristol then IR somewhere. As far as I'm aware you can convert your license. There are topics on it on this forum. It seems to work out a bit cheaper than doing the EASA course. The other advantage is that there is no waiting list for FAA courses.

Hot_LZ
9th Aug 2013, 09:37
Jock,

You have a PM.

LZ

sooc
13th Sep 2016, 17:43
Hi everyone,

State of the industry aside, does anyone have an idea of the current cost of the combined FAA/EASA Professional Pilot Program? KrisRamJ in post #40 quoted $65k (for FAA training and living costs) but that was back in 2008 - I'm curious as to what it would be now!

Thanks,

outofoffice
15th Sep 2016, 01:03
Significantly more than that today if going for the combined EASA/FAA, especially with BA phasing out (or having phased out?) the R22s and the current push to do a significant amount of your training on the 44s (IR, CFII). Right now I think the norm for graduates is coming out with 40-70 hrs of 44 time. As far as I know they still offer instrument training in the 300, but due to its speed (or lack thereof :rolleyes:) it may not be the best choice.

Minimum times excluding CRs (estimates):
- 135 hours EASA with FAA PPL (300CBi)
- 10 hours for R44 transition
- 40 hours IR (R44)
- 20-25 hours CFI (300CBi)
- 5 hrs CFII (R44)

About 215 hours all in, 160 in 300CBi, 55 in R44, so total around 85-90k for just the flying, excluding CRs. A good chunk of money also goes to the UK CAA for 14 written exams. Good training and a good package, but it comes at a premium.

ersa
15th Sep 2016, 06:01
well over $100,000 plus accomodation

Sick or ski
15th Sep 2016, 08:11
Think very hard about that kind of investment in the current job market...

dingo9
15th Sep 2016, 09:27
fohnwind offers sound advice here. Nail on the head. This down turn is the new normal. With the fixed wing world expanding it's a no brainer.
Good luck with the avenue you chose to pursue. :ok:

ersa
15th Sep 2016, 11:02
good advice, unless you have money to burn, walk away

gulliBell
15th Sep 2016, 12:05
Yep. I agree with fohnwind and all that. Unless a new trainee can afford to throw away that amount of money with no hope of any return on investment, certainly not in the next 10 years, fixed wing is the no-brainer flying choice. If I had a family to support, and needed a job to support them, I wouldn't spend that money on any form of flying training. Period.

sooc
15th Sep 2016, 12:32
Thank you all very much for the replies.

I hope I didn't appear flippant by dismissing the state of the helicopter industry - I appreciate that things are a bit down the pan at the moment.

I am lucky to have a relatively well-paid job in a different branch of aviation. Realistically I wouldn't be looking at commercial training for another 5-10 years or so; my question was mostly out of curiosity with regards to how the costs have increased.

In the end it might be better just sticking with the PPL/flying for fun route... We'll see!

Thanks again all.

rotor wash
15th Sep 2016, 14:24
Bad times indeed. A real shame for people who have not been lucky with timing. I wonder what happened with jockmacstrap above as he would have likely come out the other end at just the wrong time. It can't be cheap keeping a ME/IR current on your tod. I reckon it will be another 4 years before things pick up again with oil & gas. That's the problem with helicopters, after spending £100k there are only really a handful of potential employers. Not so with fixed wing. Fohnwind makes a good point although the cost of CTC Wings and Easyjet type rating combined is closer to £140k!