PDA

View Full Version : Lyneham SFA

Stitchbitch
26th Sep 2007, 08:50
As finding this info on the official home pages is beyond me (i.e. can't see it for looking) I was wondering wether anyone here from Lyeparts might be able to answer a few questions?

a) Is SFA any good (not years old and knack'd)?
b)Are there huge waiting lists for SFA?
c)Do the housing services give you options these days or are you stuck with the first quarter you see?
d)Are house prices high in the local area?
e)Is the social life any good?:E

Thanks in advance.

VinRouge
26th Sep 2007, 09:12
1) No, most of the housing stock is pretty good, not perfect mind. Definately some of the best remaining.

2)No. as long as you are entitled, there are excess quarters currently. Down my street, about 5 houses.

3) We got the option. but you have to be pushy. If you dont like what you see and can see one you do like round the corner, they should have no reason not to give it to you.

4) Where in the country ARE house prices sensible these days? Round wiltshire prices are pretty bad. all the beautiful little villages where most officers/sncos could afford are now well out of reach, the only place I could really afford is Swindon. But its Swindon. Calne is relatively expensive, but (just) affordable and apparently is a pleasant place to live.

5) When people are around, yes. Problem is, most of us are deployed. Having said tat, without sounding off connetations of "Stepford Wives" there is an EXCELLENT support infrastructure for wives in terms of social events (if they fancy it) when you are away, plus plenty of BBQs, christmas do's general belly-ups most months. As with anything i suppose, it depends on how you want to get involved! :ok:

ZH875
26th Sep 2007, 09:13
My quarter on Hastings Drive had a 1 inch gap between bricks by the dining room window, I was told by DHE not to snag it as I would be moved out and the quarter condemned.

I was given a second quarter to look at, and rapidly returned to the first.

That said, I was told that I was in a better house than some of the Officers.

Houses are expensive, but where aren't they?.

Maybe things have improved since I moved out...

Have a look at the official Lyneham Village website (http://www.lynehamvillage.com/) as it contains a lot of information about the local area.

VinRouge
26th Sep 2007, 10:51
No problems where I am living; on the officers patch at least they all have either a new shower or a new kitchen. Hey, its not the ritz, but for once, for the money I pay its ten times better than what I could get if I move out. Heating is a problem in winter, although ours has had wall cavity insulation foam installed.

You may not be able to view the accom officially, but what stops you having a nose around? Check the gardens, look through the windows etc? Its what we did, we didnt like what we saw, we had friends on the patch that we asked which were the good houses, asked for one that was free and presto!!

Admittedly, its the first quarter I have lived in, I am purely comparing to the likes of brize, which on first impressions reminds me of some skag den in Longsight manchester. The only thing missing was the red light and ladies of the night!

Hey, compared to the mess, or even worse, some of those paper thin-walled Barratt homes/rabbit hutches, Im living in a palace!

Stitchbitch
27th Sep 2007, 09:38
Thanks for the gen, it's appreciated. The schooling situation looks good.
Are the AMQs worse than the OMQs (I know they are all SFA now, before some smart Alec decides to chip in..)
Another quick one, I heard moral was bad at Lyenham? Any truth in that one?
I have one other posting 'choice' (theres, not mine) which is in the area, although not RAF.would just like a few pointers before leaping...:E

ZH875
27th Sep 2007, 09:46
Ref AMQ's, avoid anything on the Melsome Road estate, as it sits just 50 yards from the back of the aircraft parking area. Great if there is a 3 o'clock startup.

plans123
27th Sep 2007, 14:09
Aftyer looking at the official village website, you may want to look at the unofficial village website......here (http://www.lynehamvillage.co.uk/) :}