PDA

View Full Version : NZ CAA CPLh principles of flight exam

aldee
26th Sep 2007, 03:22
Anyone who's sat this able to give me a heads up on what to expect from this exam?

Only exam without a sample paper:confused:

Used Wagtendonk's p of f manual for the study material, hopefully thats enough.

cheers
aldee

Heli-kiwi
26th Sep 2007, 04:10
You'll find that Tech and P of F overlaps to the point that you need to know them both as well as each other. I'd recommend sitting both at the same time. Unfortunately I have my exams all sitting in a box back in NZ so I can't help you out but somebody who has is bound to offer them up to you.

Good luck

aldee
26th Sep 2007, 04:18
Thanks heli-kiwi

I sat tech 2 months ago,had planned to do them consecutively however life conspired against me so I,m just getting back on track now.

Big day on Monday so we'll see what happens.

discobeast
26th Sep 2007, 04:29
Good on ya, mate!
From what I understand, ASL used Wagtendonk's book as the basis/source for the exam questions.
:ok:
DB

remote hook
27th Sep 2007, 02:49
Seems like the only thing you need to know in order to get a Kiwi license is: Pull till she droops, then go to Canada.:ugh:

RH

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 02:56
Well thats CERTAINLY how I got my licence :ugh: But his wife found out and it got revoked.

T*ss*r.

Seriously, Aldee, Wagtendonk's book got me through :ok:, although I already had PoF Fixed Wing which I found made it a heaps easier.
Good luck!
KC

aldee
27th Sep 2007, 02:57
RH

WTF has that got to do with the question

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 03:08
He obviously didn't read it properly as all the blood from his brain is located elsewhere at the moment.

:yuk:

Heli-kiwi
27th Sep 2007, 03:12
A wee bit bitter are we RH?, It sounds like you've been pulling till it droops.......

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 03:18
I'm thinking he wasn't good enough to get a job here so had to go to Canada.

[NB: All canadians who are about to tear me to shreds: I say that very tongue-in-cheek, and putting this disclaimer here will somewhat take the sting and wit out of the comment but I fear there will be those who just didn't "get it"]

remote hook
27th Sep 2007, 03:59
kiwi chick,

I'm searching desperately for the wit your disclaimer refers to.

Actually, I'm wondering what's required to get your license too, as it seems that following a Kiwi on almost any lifting job, in machines ranging from Jet Ranger's and 500's, to Astar's and Medium's, means that you have to re-educate the customer about the actual capabilities of the machine.... Now, I have several close Kiwi friends, and this is a joke that freely flows between us, as they are well aware of the reputation as well. Take it for what it's worth.

The fact remains that our Kiwi brethren are routinely lifting loads they should not be, and their reputations are suffering for it. I'm personally sick of hearing that the "last guy" moved that 1400lb part with a 500....

So, I apologize for hi-jacking this thread, and would be happy to continue this in another if you so wish.

RH
PS, If the best you can do is stoop to personal insults to counter my somewhat offensive statement, you're in trouble.;)

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 04:15
My immense wit is sometimes too subtle for some.

Alas, I cannot comment on the lifting jobs as I am a mere "baby" when it comes to flying Helos - and I haven't "worked one".

(Although I did really SUCK at sling until the day before my flight test, so maybe it's a Kiwi thing...) ;)

However. I studied hard and flew my ass off to pass and get my licence - and it was a damn good pass dare I say so myself. So, bite me for getting kinda testy when it is implied otherwise.

I would imagine that there is a "range" of skills of those who have a CPL, but I would also hope that if any of these are not quite "up to speed" they would be dealt with by the person employing the pilot?!

Do you not have to demonstrate your ability before getting a job over there?

As for my response to your post being a personal insult - no, I'm normally more intelligent than that but I thought I might be wasting my breath ;)

remote hook
27th Sep 2007, 04:39
Now THAT, is a post I can respond to. Well done.

First off, congratulations on your license, as earning a CPL in any county is an accomplishment. However...

There are a range of "skills" amongst helicopter pilots, but one of the the most important of those "skills," is respecting your equipment and fellow pilots. This has precious little to do with actual hands and feet, and everything to with common sense and the afore mentioned respect.

Any machine will only lift what it will lift within limits. This of course fluctuates with altitude, temperature, wind speed/direction, etc etc. You will come to learn that most helicopters will lift more than what they are certified for, and that "lifting" can sometimes be a whole lot easier than "putting down." Certain types will lift large amounts more than ever intended by the manufacturer.

There is a huge difference between barely moving a load, and moving one safely and effectively, with finesse, and respect for the machine and those who will fly it afterwards. This is the issue I was driving at. Kiwis in this country are becoming famous for pulling loads they really shouldn't. Blanket statement? Yes. There are of course many excellent Kiwi pilots who I respect and enjoy working alongside, but there are many others who I do not.
Personally, I think it's because most Kiwi men are short, but what do I know???;)

As for demonstrating ability... well, that's a whole other conversation that has nothing to do with Kiwi's specifically, and a lot do with our industry in general.

RH

kiwi chick
27th Sep 2007, 04:52
:D Firstly, thank you for your congrats, although I got it nearly two years ago, LOL!

Unfortunately I had 2 or 3 jobs "fall through" and was unable to follow the work to the other end of the country... but that's a whole other story :(

(I'm flying FW commercially, but, you know? Its just not QUITE as much fun, haha! ;))

I have to agree - again with my little experience - that perhaps the venison recovery days injected a somewhat "kiwi" attitude into what can and what SHOULD be lifted... get away with it one, twice, three times then "Hey, what the hell..." :=

As for the "short" comment... I have yet to meet one woman who can fly a hughes 300 with her hand resting on her knee like the guys seem to be able to do :)

Still, I take that to mean we must have better skills to fly with our entire arm rather than just our wrist... :ok: :ok:

Hughesy
27th Sep 2007, 15:11
RH.
Not looking to cause a pissing match here, but im a Kiwi in Canada and I have also followed Canadian's in jobs to be told " the last guy could carry all five on board, full fuel, full aux tank and all our gear! (in a 500 :ooh:)
Or, "how come you are refueling so often? Last guy didn't need to refuel as much (BA on a drill move). Now thats prob just customer pressure....but can't it be said that the same thing is happening to you? "New pilot at this job....lets try talk him into heavier loads, and save some rev"
There will always be pilots pulling the sh** out of the machine, Kiwi's, Aussie's, Canadians.

Im not saying it's a good thing. Because its not. Just saying it isn't just us. :ok

Canada is an awesome place to fly, I feel very privileged to be here for my second season. I have met many Canadian pilots from lots of differant companys, and you bunch are all right in my book. :ok:

ScrumpyLuvver
27th Sep 2007, 20:48
Kiwi's rock, Canadians rock, Brits, South Africans, Americans etc etc etc all rock but an asshole is an asshole wherever they may hail from..

SL..

remote hook
28th Sep 2007, 00:09
Hughsey,

I'm glad you're enjoying your stint here in Canada, hopefully you decide to stick around for a few more.

You make some very valid points, which I fully agree with. There are pilots from every point on the compass who will pull the **** out of the machine because they can't handle saying "no" to the customers. The point I've tried to make, is that for some reason Kiwi pilots here in Canada are getting a pretty bad reputation for their propensity to behave that way. This isn't a good thing in general, and specifically it's worrying when one demographic is painted in such a negative light.

The key word in this discussion is "perceived," and right now there is a strong perception that Kiwi's will lift anything. Do others do it as you suggest? Of course, but we all know how powerful perception is within our industry. It can make or break individuals with little basis in fact. As I said earlier, I have several good Kiwi friends in the industry, and I'd like to believe they are not of the type I suggested earlier - but one does hear things through the grapevine.

Anyway, the best way to combat this perception is to conduct yourself professionally and treat your machine with respect. Sounds like you're there already.

RH