PDA

View Full Version : WSO eye standards

FltSgt88
25th Sep 2007, 23:40
Hi guys, could someone tell me how eyesight is test at OASC at Cranwell these days. Is it snellen chart or all the fancy corneal mapping and laser stuff?

Also, could anyone who knows tell me how strict they are when it comes to WSO eyesight. I think i have quite high astigmatism and i know what the limits are...but just how strict are they?

Oh, and also (sorry to keep on), say for example i wanted to become a WSO but my eyesight isnt good enough, is that it or can i join as say an engineering officer?..what i mean is, do you have say 3 choices..or is it just 1 and if you dont mean the standards then you have to wait till next year?

Thanks for your help

airborne_artist
26th Sep 2007, 11:29
FFS just read my post to your last question (and what a loads of b*ll*cks about doing research!).

Martyn Northall
26th Sep 2007, 13:35
Hi,

Eyesight standards for any aircrew member are high in the RAF. The best thing to do is go to your local AFCO and talk to them.

Shortly after my first interview at my local AFCO, I informed them that I had a lazy eye as a child. However I am lucky enough to control it very well, maintaining perfect vision and now the lazy eye has gone(a small miracle!). They asked me to get my optician to fill in a medical supplement form, which they would send off to Cranwell for review. Two weeks went by and I got a letter back from Cranwell which informed me that I was eligible for Pilot/WSO. To say I was delighted was an understatement....

So a few months later I went off to Cranwell and got more joy upon passing the Pilot aptitude tests. However I was then called to the medical centre and was told that despite being told my eyesight was good enough for Pilot/WSO, they had now decided it was too borderline and they didn't think it was worth risking it. Although they would allow me to be a WSO linguist.

So after reading my story, you can see that its definitely worth checking with your local AFCO. But judging by your use of the words, 'high astigmatism', I would guess they would turn you down for aircrew positions. There is no harm in checking though

FATTER GATOR
26th Sep 2007, 16:50
No matter how much squirming or talking round you do, it will all come out when the optician sticks you in the chair and tells you to read the bottom line.

Ask the AFCO, they will be able to find out very quickly for you.
If your fine then great. If not then bit the bullet straight away and don't waste any time squirming.

Good luck.:ok: