PDA

View Full Version : Editor of the Telegraph

dave_perry
25th Sep 2007, 17:00
I have my filter interview on Wednesday for Pilot. I generally read the Telegraph for new updates however when he/she goes into depth about the paper, and asks who the chief editor and owner of the paper is, i will not be able to answer it. Could anybody shed light on who it is. Ive looked all over google.

Dave

Unchecked
25th Sep 2007, 17:11
I'd be very surprised if you were asked that, TBH.

mr ripley
25th Sep 2007, 17:23
FWIW after barely 5 mins of google I had found all the info that you want.
And it wasn't even a hard search!
I would try again.
As for what you are likely to be asked, I may be a little out of date.
However the interviewers (and I have completed the RAF Selection Course), are after breadth and depth of knowledge and evidence behind views and claims.
Having said that when I applied quite a few years ago, I looked in the paper itself for that information ( who was the editor etc).
Good luck:)

Al R
25th Sep 2007, 17:29
Don't listen to them Dave. Last guy I heard who went through was asked the name of the Sports Features Editor, the Production Manager AND the Advertising Director. :sad:

Pontius Navigator
25th Sep 2007, 17:35
are after breadth and depth of knowledge and evidence behind views and claims.

First they have little idea where your 'breadth' might lie.

"What hobbies or pursuits do you have?"

Or

"Tell me what events you are aware of at home?"

That latter, or words similar, was asked shortly after the 2005 General Election. Surprisingly the General Election had been below the candidates radar.

If, however, some obscure hobby or event was mentioned it is not unlikely that you the expert know more about the topic than the interviewer. You have immediately demonstrated breadth. The next question will ask you to amplify and, based on your answers, test depth.

If after just a couple of questions they realise that you do indeed have an indepth knowledge, both theoretical and practical, in underwater basket weaving do not worry if they cut you off in mid-flow.

They might ask (he's retired now) about the significance of the dispute over the Spratley Islands. The honest answer is what are the Spratley Islands [in my case it was Qumoy and Amoy]. They might then give you some information which will test your ability to assess the right answer.

Safety_Helmut
25th Sep 2007, 19:01
You could always point out the correct spelling of Spratly !
Don't listen to them Dave. Last guy I heard who went through was asked the name of the Sports Features Editor, the Production Manager AND the Advertising Director.
That speaks volumes !

buoy15
25th Sep 2007, 19:13
Spratly Islands
Yes Sir! Please Sir! I know Sir!
Can't get an egg banjo there though!:suspect:

PingDit
25th Sep 2007, 19:13
When I went through, they asked me who the Defence Correspondent was - thank goodness! - it was the only name I could remember!

bottom rung
25th Sep 2007, 21:09
In my interview about 20 years ago it was Air Commodore G.S.Cooper. Slightly worried that I can still remember that.:sad:

6Z3
25th Sep 2007, 22:17
Air Commodore Donaldson immediately springs to mind for mine. Then 5 years later Desmond Wettern for the RN AIB. Both were asked for, and I was naturally able to oblige. Shame nowadays I can't remember where I put glasses from one minute to the next.

Pontius Navigator
25th Sep 2007, 22:25
You could always point out the correct spelling of Spratly !
That speaks volumes !

Prat.

Would you like to check again?

Apologies accepted.

Samuel
26th Sep 2007, 00:52
"So you read The Times occasionally. How much?"

"Er...I think it's about 45p sir."

Safety_Helmut
26th Sep 2007, 07:50
Pontificating Nauseator

try here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands

and here:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/spratly.htm

and here:
http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9069237/Spratly-Islands

and here:
http://www.spratlys.org/maps/

then you could probably look here:

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/spr.htm

and here:
http://www.islandvulnerability.org/spratlys.html

Then when you've finished looking at that 1937 Boys Own World Atlas of yours, you can come back on here and kiss my .....................

S_H:ok:

6Z3
26th Sep 2007, 07:55
Now, is it Prat, or Prate; I can never remember?

Pontius Navigator
26th Sep 2007, 08:04
S_H, I can't be bothered to quote all the Asian web sources spelt with an 'E'.

As you should be aware there is more than one way to spell most place names.

6Z3
26th Sep 2007, 08:32
S_H,
As you know, there's the right way, and then of course let us not forget there's the wong way:ok:

warty99
26th Sep 2007, 19:03
Dave - if you really can't find it, telephone the general number for The Telegraph and ask. It's even quicker than Google, and it is perfectly acceptable to do so.

Jetex Jim
26th Sep 2007, 21:43
And is it just the editorial staff of the Torygraph ones expected to have word perfect, or must one know all about the Grauniad also?

SirToppamHat
26th Sep 2007, 22:08
JetexJim
And is it just the editorial staff of the Torygraph ones expected to have word perfect, or must one know all about the Grauniad also?

I believe they are looking for a balanced view - demonstrate that one reads about both Tory and Labour policies - so just the Telegraph will do!

STH

Wader2
27th Sep 2007, 09:33
And The Sun.

This will enable you to increase your awareness of day-to-day issues that concern those you may later command. For instance you will find a different type of sport is reported on in the paper.

Whilst the Daily Sport may seem even more relevant the title is misleading and may well give the board the wrong impression if that is your prefered source of information.

AdanaKebab
28th Sep 2007, 13:35
I cannot believe some of you have found the links and not passed on the information! :ugh:
The young lad is keen enough to join, damn few these days, and many wouldn't blame them if they stayed away. The least you can do is support him by providing some answers.
I'm sure the old and bold were willing to help you when you applied.

Will Lewis is the Editor (youngest ever).

Good luck. Give it your all. :ok:

PS. Practice your speed/time/distance calculations. Handy for the individual/group problems they throw at you.

Lamenting Navigator
30th Sep 2007, 09:42
You'd better check who are the head honchos at the BBC Radio Four 'Today' programme. The higher up the ranks you go, the more of an obsession that wretched programme becomes.

sitigeltfel
2nd Oct 2007, 14:43
Apocryphal tale;

Candidate is asked which Sunday newspaper he takes.

"Sunday Times" he replies.

"Why is that" asks the interviewer, "is it the editorial content, the sport or the current affairs that you look for?"

"No sir," replies the candidate, "mum says it will light the fire all week!"

Like-minded
2nd Oct 2007, 15:02
what a moron.

Safety_Helmut
2nd Oct 2007, 15:36
what a moron

you mean the interviewer for asking which Sunday newspaper he takes

Wouldn't it be better to ask what one reads ?

The only place you are likely to hear the question phrased like that is an interview to join the Forces. I have read the Telegraph for several years now, and not just so I can answer idiotic questions about the newspapers editorial staff by someone who, at the end of the day, probably goes home to read The Mirror or The Express. In fact probably whatever else his wife tells him to buy based on her preference for the Sunday magazine.

S_H