PDA

View Full Version : Does age really matter?

Rhyspiper
25th Sep 2007, 15:42
Hi Guys,

Was just reading through the posts and hearing about how low hour newly qualified guys are struggling for jobs?

I'm going to do my ATPL ground school in November at London Met but am now getting a bit worried about the availability of jobs when I finish!

I mean i'm still pretty young (20) and I wondered whether my age would help (or even hinder) my employability at the end of ATPL/CPL?

P.S. If anyone is going to be/currently at/has been to London Met for ATPL any tips would be very much welcomed.

Cheers

Rhys:ugh:

BerksFlyer
25th Sep 2007, 15:59
Technically, employers aren't allowed to discriminate against age as long as you're suitable for the job, so it doesn't really matter how old or young you are.

PLATO_Y2K
26th Sep 2007, 15:26
Thats the official line I will agree, I remember reading about people who were "favoured" (if thats the correct word) as they were a little older and had life experiance/real world skills. Not sure how true it is and don't want to be the propogator of untruths, but can believe it might be the case.

Craig :ok:

AlphaMale
26th Sep 2007, 15:35
I'd rather be in your shoes than mine (I'm 25 with no fATPL) But I aim to have one by 29 then work at a CFI/FI for a year.

There is a big big thread on 'Am I too old/young' going around so I'm not going to say much. But you're on the right side of 35 so maybe by the time airlines consider you 'mature enough' to fly their planes you'll have experience instructing / flying air taxi ... and maybe some small turbo prop time?

If you can get your trainig done now I'd encourage you to do it. When you're in your mid 20's you have the pressure of getting on the property ladder. By 30 you might have a kid or two, a mortgage, a few responsibilities. And 35 you start to worry if you're too old - knowing you can't turn back the clocks of time.

I'm know there are a few guys on the forum working as FO's on airliners in their late 20's.