PDA

View Full Version : ba 054 near miss or ufo

self loader 54
25th Sep 2007, 07:44
Was that one of those business jets outside my window on BA054 over the med this early am, barely 10m off our right wingtip..... or a ufo? Sadly it was too quick to get my camera out. Not a pip from air crew if they even saw it. Was anyone flying the silly 'thing' I was on, or is 'self loading cargo' now on 'auto flying routes' ..... and can we expect reduced air fares for crewless flights and increased insurance policies?
I shudder to think that with 1000 of these biz jets on order all over Europe what exactly will happen to these kind of 'near misses'.....better update my self loading insurance....... Even more I shudder to think with what I read on training and hiring of barely qualified crew with minimal hours..... who will be flying these biz-jets?

Sobelena
25th Sep 2007, 08:02
Why don't you sober up before posting on PPRuNe? That way you might save yourself the embarassment of posting utter drivel :hmm:

self loader 54
25th Sep 2007, 08:14
I'm a 'self loader'.... I don't have brains so I can as well talk utter drivel.... cause if I had any brains - like you obviously - I wouldn't embarrass myself by putting up with the abusive treatment I get from airlines and their baby seats etc et al. I dunno. You seem to be able to make good judgments of people so you must be a superior being and you shouldn't really lower your standards to my level! So please leave me to my drivel ..... time will tell .....

BRUpax
25th Sep 2007, 08:41
:ugh: OK, who let SL54 out of the asylum?

Moderator: I suggest this thread be closed.

Final 3 Greens
25th Sep 2007, 09:14
He's not a lunatic, he's a Norwegian!

BRUpax
25th Sep 2007, 09:25
:ok: I was thinking it but I didn't want to say it :E

G-BPED
25th Sep 2007, 10:48
Well this is one of the more bizarre postings I have seen on PPRune.

I doubt we will hear much more from our Norwegian poster. Soon the sun will be setting in Norway until the spring so, hopefully he will hibernate for the winter :ok:

Where is Rainboe when you need him ?

Regards

G-BPED

apaddyinuk
25th Sep 2007, 10:51
Um....I was crew on your flight and I can assure you that nothing was said to us! Were you part of that party drinking your own booze onboard?????

TopBunk
25th Sep 2007, 12:05
SLF

Don't be silly now, it wasn't 10 metres off the wingtip, it was ON the wing tip. We had a call from our friendly Martian on the internationally recognised gobbleydegook channel and they requested to formate with us for a short while to rest their hyperdrive engines as they were overheating. Didn't you see the little green men wave goodbye to you all just before they went their own way?

10secondsurvey
25th Sep 2007, 15:14
Anyway, aside from the ramblings, can anyone say if their was an near miss/near hit (you choose) as described this morning.

TightSlot
25th Sep 2007, 17:05
Do we have to close this? I mean, isn't it more fun having it open? We can all have a chuckle at the loonies and wonder what they'll come up with next - presumably throwing faeces at the bars of the cage or putting a banana up their nose?

Give it a bit longer...

Nicholas49
25th Sep 2007, 19:32
Rainboe, this thread is for you!

eastern wiseguy
26th Sep 2007, 10:34
ok.....heres a scenario....it wasn't a biz jet it could have been NON TRANSPONDING therefore NO TCAS military interception that you lot knew NOTHING about. Yesterday I was controlling and had to hold a departure down until it passed 3 miles from an overflight. The two blips merged (1000 feet vertical seperation) and the lower aircraft asked if "The ****** was transponding as he hadn't seen it on TCAS. It was .....now before you attack our Nordic chum....think on.....

Avman
26th Sep 2007, 15:10
I think if he had stuck to a better phrased and coherent question minus all the other rambling nonsense he might have been taken more seriously. His second post didn't do much to improve his already dented image either.

One thing I know from my own air-to-air experiences is that the minimum safe and legal seperation can look shockingly close to one who doesn't know better. It can look even worse if you're in a turn. Alcohol may also play tricks with what you think you saw.

I think that a more sensible posting may have invited some equally more sensible replies.

Rainboe
26th Sep 2007, 15:55
OK OK settle down all! What's goin' on 'ere? I shall just take some statements.....

Right- first, there are several scenarios where passengers, particularly ones who have been drinking certain fermented liquors to possibly excess, can convince themselves that a certain air proximity incident has occurred. One doubts somehow the 10m description as this would not have been missed by anyone, and the resulting avoiding action felt by all. Only yesterday, I was watching a crossing traffic at 1000' difference pass overhead, and thought how it looked at the same altitude.

But the gentleman does raise a serious point. We are about to be hit by a profusion of VLJs (Very Light Jets- how aviation loves its 3 letter acronyms!). Some of these are intended for single pilot businessmen operations. Obviously it is going to become the 'thing' for one to pilot ones own jet. Several of them are single jet. These are going to have near-fighter performance. Having been airmissed by an out of control Lear trying to level off in the climb after take-off at Manchester- that with a professional pilot, not a businessman in a hurry, I am getting a little concerned about hundreds of these VLJs piloted by inexperienced owner/pilot businessmen all with 'Graham Hill' syndrome. Frankly, I don't want to be sharing the sky with them.
So does this concern anybody else?

Avman
26th Sep 2007, 18:48
A disappointingly non toxic post Rainboe :(

SXB
26th Sep 2007, 23:01
Near misses happen all the time. I was on OS770 this morning from Pristina to Wien and I almost spilled my coffee over the new tie my wife bought for me last week. Can you imagine the fall out if my coffee had stained said tie ?

On the subject of VLJs the FT ran an article on that very subject this week, apparently sales are rocketing for this type of aircraft, the FT also mentioned that many of these aircraft are piloted by their owners, who I imagine are not professional airline pilots. Though I have no idea of the qualifications required to safely operate such an aircraft.

self loader 54
27th Sep 2007, 07:04
Well in closure …. To end it how it began….hopefully ….. I am a FEMALE (surprise surprise)….. very ex-PPL of LONG ago …. Happy to fly BACKSEAT with a GREAT sense of HUMOUR that it seems all you lack – used to friendly pilots but these days they are all too swollen headed to think themselves human. I don’t drink but do get extremely stressed out (my age you see!) from all this incredible abuse the industry is chucking at ALL of us for the sake of dividends or some stupid security regulation someone dreamed up probably when high on pot….. because I don’t think many of you people enjoy being shut up they way you are now either (or are you that anti-social), but I would imagine you would enjoy a bit of god-treatment from your passengers so I imagine you are unhappy….. and YES it was quick and YES I am now getting short-sighted (age thing again) and wasn’t wearing my glasses….. don’t need or want to see anything ……. so maybe it wasn’t that close LEGALLY but far too close for my poor little (ageing) heart to accept easily. All these seats are practically up my nose – bad breaths coming at me from neighbours (I’m short also!)….. now the free space out my window is being invaded with biz fliers who are (or will soon be) out of control…. And more will come – far more!

Yes did anyone in fact read the FT article by one female who is proud that she has her biz jet licensed in the US so she can avoid the strict instrument ratings of EU!! What else will these people do …. Anyone know how to get a cheap forged licence to fly a biz jet?

I suspect regulations are going to get to the point where you will be allocated a strict take-off time/route and no more than x will be allowed per day – no matter what airport you take off from or land at. At least I hope so because the system just can’t manage 1000 more of anything right now. Just as long as the Brits don’t manage it cause I have never seen anything as big a disaster as the transport system in their country.

So guys and dolls……yes there are ‘doll’ pilots….. get a sense of humour – REALLY! Life is about enjoying it not being so full of hot air that you think yourself above being NORMAL! You’ll die of stress and I will be in the back seat praying for my life…..

And ease up on your god complex. Not much fun for us humans. Especially the little old lady humans.

Atishoo
27th Sep 2007, 08:29
I think our Rainboe took one of my Valiums for this post. He's soooooooooo chilled. What happened to him? ;);););)

Final 3 Greens
27th Sep 2007, 09:08
So does this concern anybody else?

Yes.

Single pilot ops in high performance aircraft in busy airspace is a concern.

I imagine that the owner pilots will need commensurate training and checks, but two FD crew makes much more sense than one, when the workload gets high and situational awareness is paramount.

Rainboe
27th Sep 2007, 09:41
Atishoo- there is now a world shortage after you took them all for your nervous passenger syndrome.

I imagine that the owner pilots will need commensurate training and checks
Would that be PPL and Instrument Rating, or am I out of date?

forget
27th Sep 2007, 09:49
I think our Rainboe took one of my Valiums for this post. He's soooooooooo chilled. What happened to him?

This is much more of a concern than thousands of VLJs hurtling around Europe! I was ignoring this thread waiting for a Rainboe response. And what do we get! Everything all right In Toxic Avenue? :confused:

Final 3 Greens
27th Sep 2007, 14:28
Rainboe

As I am extremely unlikely to command any of these VLJs, I don't know for sure, as I haven't researched it.

However I would have thought that PPL, IR, (multi engine if appropriate) and a type rating (with mandatory training) would be the minimum. Also the insurance companies are going to be pretty cautious as to experience given the potential mayhem involved.

It's the single pilot (single point of failure) that concerns me - whats your main concern?

Atishoo
27th Sep 2007, 15:00
Noooooooooooo Rainboe,

I saved some for you, thinking that if you had taken one, its certainly put you in a nicer frame of mind !!

Or did i dream that?????? ;)

Were ALL shocked ;)

It must be wonderful to be "normal" and not be scared of flying :rolleyes: