PDA

View Full Version : DRC B707 Grounded

Michael Palmer
24th Sep 2007, 08:23
Following the attachment of the Democratic Republic of Congo's B-707 VIP 9Q-CLK at FALA 10 days ago by a South African businessman Frans Rootman, the South African CAA has had a "look see" at the aircraft and has grounded it pending production of a valid C of A. It appears the current certificate has been "mislaid".

Speedbreak
25th Sep 2007, 03:53
...Standart DRC....:}

If I'm right the 9Q-C LK is a B720???

Cheers!

antic81
25th Sep 2007, 08:49
Hi there

Here is a link to the a pic of the aircraft in question, looks to be parked on the apron at FALA, I spent a few months opperating out of there myself and this certainly looks like FALA to me.

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=4013

Cheers

Ant

Jhieminga
25th Sep 2007, 10:45
If I'm right the 9Q-C LK is a B720???

She was built as a 707-138 for Qantas, full history of the airframe is here: http://www.707.adastron.com/qantas/VH-EBG.htm

Taildragger67
25th Sep 2007, 14:00
Oh dear...

Another faithful old girl to be ripped asunder in the near future?:eek:

Hope not...

antic81
25th Sep 2007, 15:49
Rather that than she falls out of the sky and kills all on board and anyone unfortunate enough on the ground too!

Taildragger67
25th Sep 2007, 15:53
Indeed. But a dignified retirement might also be preferred to the business end of a chopper blade.

Then again, industrial equipment (which is essentially what a commercial aircraft is), is designed with a certain economic life and is generally scrapped after that time, so one could ask why a commercial aircraft should be treated any differently to any other asset...

antic81
25th Sep 2007, 23:36
I do agree with you on that point...
Funny that we become so attached to what is essentially just a piece of machinery, watching the footage of the old lightnings being carved up was difficult!

But as you quite rightly say, all airframes are designed with a life of so many cycles...the problem is that in Africa these airframe life spans are pushed to the very limit and in many cases beyond!

Ant