PDA

View Full Version : C-GOSI Halifax - Azerbajan

exlatccatsa
23rd Sep 2007, 15:14
We had a CHC AS32 through Aberdeen last night on the way to Azerbajan. Just out of interest, does anyone know how many stops he's making? And how long he's going to take?

jonnyloove
23rd Sep 2007, 15:21
Did anyone see the cougar I think AS332L1 toady it had Candain registration!!

Um... lifting...
23rd Sep 2007, 15:38
Seem to recall that email I read when they were seeking a copilot a couple weeks ago seemed to be about 10 of each (pity one doesn't have the Puma rating, would have been delighted to tune the radios and pour the coffee on that one...)... stops and days... at least that's what I remember. Normally, the crew determines exact routing with a designated arrival time restriction and anyplace you CAN'T go en route told in advance. Basically, the ultimate road trip.
10 days seems about right, with ABZ being just a bit past the halfway mark. Probably something more or less like: Halifax to Goose Bay to Narssarssuaq to Reykjavik to Aberdeen to probably wherever the lads want to stop for fun and frolic for the next week or so (someplace warm, they probably want), but it'll probably work out to be say Copenhagen, Poland, former Soviet states over the north shore of the Black Sea down to Baku. Odessa or Moscow (you'd probably have to pick one over the other) might be a coin toss.
Long days crossing the big water. Pretty much 800 miles or so per day on those early legs.

exlatccatsa
23rd Sep 2007, 20:20
Came in from Vagar and out to Den Helder this afternoon. I agree it would be a great trip.. they had a huge tank in the cabin so i guess 800nm would be possible in one hit.

Bladestrike
24th Sep 2007, 01:02
332L, I flew a few of the test flights on it preparing for this trip. Tricky finding somone with the time off to do the trip!

Hope the boys are having fun!

Max Shutterspeed
24th Sep 2007, 16:15
I'm a non-pilot photographer numpty, so excuse the dumb question...

It looks like a great gig, but would it not have been cheaper to send it as cargo somehow, either sea or air freight?

Max

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
24th Sep 2007, 20:25
Airfreight would mean a charter, so it would just be weighing up the costs of ferrying it there versus a few hundred thousands dollars in the back of a Ukrainian or Russian cargo transporter.

No idea about sea transport - is that possible with Baku? But permits and time constraints for surface transport might have made it a non-starter.

Max Shutterspeed
24th Sep 2007, 20:41
Thanks, Alpha.

Plus it's miles more fun....:-)

MS

Canadian Rotorhead
24th Sep 2007, 23:43
In the past, CHC have had a number of airframes damaged or destroyed on cargo ships. The company looks at the big picture to decide what is the safest way for the machine to get positioned on the contract.

And I agree, the ferry trips are the most rewarding part of the job.

CDN-RH

tecpilot
25th Sep 2007, 05:34
It's not an alldays job but honestly with good preparation no problem do track vom the UK to the Caspian Sea. Round about 4500km and not more than 4-5 days with simple 4-6 h flying a day. Crew change in Aberdeen.

I have done such eastern :) routes some times during the last 15 years and the things are now easy compared to the stand after 1990. Prefer such routes much more than the old ww2 track from Canada to Europe.

Thrills me more than flying the transport of the (a lot of) cash money! Credit cards and carnets are not so common in the ex. soviet union.

Perro Rojo
25th Sep 2007, 11:19
What???????

Um... lifting...
26th Sep 2007, 02:40
All perfectly clear, Chien Rouge. Read up and talk to the oldest and wisest engineer you can find... all will be made known to you (can't post it here, all very hush-hush... I got it from an old pilot).

The Caspian, where Baku is located, is about 20-30m below sea level. A canal between it and the Black Sea was proposed this summer to perhaps make those nations bordering the Caspian maritime states. So far, nothing... ergo, sea transport is a non-starter. It's also a major pain for the poor engineers who have to reassemble the thing dockside so it can be flown to its final destination.

As for air transport in a freighter. Depends. Sometimes the machines are moved by air freight. How much will it cost, etc. Ferry flights are one of the last great adventures... I hope they never go away.

Rotorhead77
10th Feb 2008, 02:23
Just found this thread. I was one of the pilots on the ferry trip. It took us 11 days and was a whole lot of fun!
Stopped in:
Sept -iles Quebec
Kuujuaq Quebec
Iqualuit Nunavut
Nuuk Greenland
Narsarsuaq Greenland
Kuulusuk Greenland
Reykjavik Iceland
Vagar Faeroe Islands
Aberdeen Scotland
Den helder Netherlands
Innsbruk Austria
Bari Italy
Corfu Greece
Mikonos Greece
Ismir Turkey
Ankara Turkey
Trabzon Turkey
Tsiblisi Georgia
Baku Azerbaijan

Peter-RB
10th Feb 2008, 07:46
I think that just about beats flying round the Lake District in the UK!:ok:

Peter R-B
Vfrpilotpb

exlatccatsa
10th Feb 2008, 09:21
Interesting thread.. thanks for the info Rotorhead77.. it never ceases to amaze me just how farPPrune has spread... Good on you Danny!!

Here's a photo of you at Aberdeen.. sorry its not great quality.. the heating elements in the tower windows make it very difficult to take clear photos.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/cmorewood/CGOSI222SEPT.jpg

You took us a bit by surprise.. just a flightplan .. took a bit of research on the internet to find out which Heli Co. you were heading for as Scotia at Aberdeen weren't expecting you.
Are there any more planned?
Glad you got there safely,
Cheers,
Chris

the delaminator
10th Feb 2008, 18:18
What What?:confused:

Mikila1A
10th Feb 2008, 20:07
My that paint scheme looks very familiar!:D

Brilliant Stuff
10th Feb 2008, 21:09
What a cool flight you must have had, one of those once in a lifetime jobbies.
Must get myself one of them.

exlatccatsa
11th Dec 2009, 09:12
After having spent the past 3 or 4 months in storage here in Aberdeen CGOSI departed again yesterday for Liverpool docks. I believe headed for Brazil.
What's going on in Brazil? That's 3 Heli's departed us in the last couple of weeks headed out there?
(Can we keep this going as long as the GBALZ thread?)

Old 332
11th Dec 2009, 12:02
I believe OSI is headed for Boundry Bay (YVR)

AS332L1
11th Dec 2009, 14:00
All

We delivered the machine yesterday to Liverpool docks and is now sat in a secure compound for loading on to a ship tomorrow lunchtime bound for Halifax and onward ferry Flight to Boundary Bay.

exlatccatsa
13th Dec 2009, 19:12
Thanks for that L1.
I'd asked around but got the Brazil rumour.
Boundary Bay .. I think thats where GBALZ has ended up as well.
Any idea where the other Canadian Reg L2 is going?
I saw it going back into storage at Heli One last week.

jp4toulon
14th Dec 2009, 14:37
We put it onto the ship Saturday 12th
heading to Halifax for reassembly, then BB in ferry flight:ok: