PDA

View Full Version : radio licence ICAO 2008...

minimo
23rd Sep 2007, 10:38
Hi folks,

due to ICAO rules, in 2008 each member country will have to establish a radio licence in 2 or more languages. English is by far THE aero language but as I am working in France where sh***** DGAC never understands any logic with exams, we don't have for the moment any VFR english radio exam...
They only have implemented the fcl1.200 but as far as I am just a single eng. driver and only fly aerial works I don't feel the need of getting a boring IFR based exam (this is my personal opinion)...:bored: So I'm looking for information about getting a "standard" VFR radio operator licence in English and found nothing on CAA website. Does anyone of you could help me?
Thanks

hihover
23rd Sep 2007, 17:22
Minimo,

I don't have a solution for you, however, I did just receive some Examiner guidelines for the new process from 2008 which I have not digested as yet.

Give me a couple of days to look at it and make some enquiries.

Logic says to me that if you are operating on a French Licence then the French Authorities should be responsible for your language endorsement. I doubt a British CAA FRTOL will help you.

I will look into it.

tam

hihover
24th Sep 2007, 19:54
Minimo,

Have a look at these FAQs in the ICAO library:

http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm#22

You will see a section devoted to language and the background to the new regulations can be found in there.

In outline, as I understand it, each member country, for the purpose of licence issue, will be required to identify language proficiency in their "local" language, and for international operations, either a proficiency level in English or in the language used on the ground over which they fly.

I don't know what the French rules are, however, I suspect that the official language for non-international ATC is French and I expect that they will require a minimum Operational Level 4 in that language for commercial ops within France.

Sadly, no matter how well you speak English, if French is the official language then I think you will have to demonstrate a level of proficiency in that if you fly in France commercially.

Please bear in mind, this is my interpretation based on my understanding of the strengthened language proficiency requirements, and how the UK CAA are complying.

You really should speak to the DGCA.

Let me know if I can help you more.

tam

minimo
25th Sep 2007, 06:04
thanks hihover,

I knew that DGAC will automatically accord us the top 6 level in French for all natives.
Anyway my question was more oriented like this: by now If I decide to move to Spain or Italy for eg., I need at least an english radio operator licence. But as there is no exam for the moment, nor sheduled for 2008, I was wondering how to get this english radio licence in order to move away. How weird it looks, I have a JAR CPL issued on the base of my previous french CPL but can't really move outside "camembert country" cause they can't get me the magic english radio licence... A friend asked yesterday the DGAC about the validity of the British CAA FRTOL with a french issued JAR CPL: no way! Maybe I should wait a while or leave definitely this ***** country!
So now, I 'd try asking italian/spanish authorities if they can approve the CAA FRTOL...

minimo

PS: and they said Europe would make it easier...:ugh:

tecpilot
25th Sep 2007, 08:44
This is not only a problem of the french. But i have heard serious rumours that especially the french view of the language problem have pushed the ICAO to the current situation. Many thanks!

It's impossible in the most countries to get a commercial license or to work as an airfield controller without english test. The international aviation language is allways english since more than 50 years except in frogfood country. I'm not able to speak french and it's allways a horror to cross this country on english base.

I am just a single eng. driver and only fly aerial works I don't feel the need of getting a boring IFR based exam
It's not professional to meet french pilot in other countries and not to find a common language. Special in helicopter ops. I remember me on some "impressing" situations while flying around Formula 1 race circuits... :\:=

alouette
25th Sep 2007, 13:34
Ever tried to seek assistance with the austrian authorities. I did an internationally recognized radio license exam according to ICAO standards some time ago. And I was only VFR rated but got IF stuff for the exam.:}

hihover
25th Sep 2007, 15:22
Minimo,

I don't think any licence in English is going to help you if you choose to work in France or Spain or Italy. The aim of the strengthened language proficiency is to improve communication both in country and internationally.

The ICAO wording is specific in that it identifies the "language used for radiotelephony communications". On international flights, that language is either English, or it is the language used for ATC in the country over which you are flying. eg. if you are flying from France into Spain, you can use English or you must use French then Spanish. If you are proficient in French and Spanish, there is no need to speak English.

However, if you intend to operate in Spain, if the official language used for RT is Spanish, then you will be required to maintain a level of proficiency in Spanish, your obvious expertise in English will not help.

This is my understanding.

Can anyone tell me where to find the list of official languages used for RT Communication in ICAO countries? I can't seem to find it.

tam