PDA

View Full Version : Military Names With Photographs - BBC Web Site

MaroonMan4
22nd Sep 2007, 21:34
Although I am always very proud to see any positive media from any press organisation and I continue to be very proud of my colleagues that are working tirelessly around the world, I was slightly surprised that in the article on the Twin TQ Monster in Afghanistan on the BBC news web site that names with pictures of crews were included.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7008605.stm

Either I am being paranoid or the training experiences of the 'romper room' and susbsequent de-brief have meant that there has been a change in MoD policy.

Just a 'heads up' to the crews - but thanks BBC for trying to assist in making the British public aware of what it's H M Forces are doing at the nation's request.

normally right blank
22nd Sep 2007, 21:54
Not very clever to use full/correct names? Has been used by the "A.Q. wannabees" here to scare the s..t out of the families back home.:uhoh:

November4
22nd Sep 2007, 21:56
Heard the report on Radio 4 yesterday (Fri) and was surprised to hear the names being given.

Phil_R
23rd Sep 2007, 00:27
Well, to be fair, you folks do tend to go around with your names embroidered on your chests...

Phil

vecvechookattack
23rd Sep 2007, 00:34
Thats true. And only yesteday there was a thread on here complaining that the Armed Forces never got any publicity.....and now you get publicity you complain that its too much publicity...

normally right blank
23rd Sep 2007, 00:36
Not so!
First names only.

vecvechookattack
23rd Sep 2007, 00:44
Hugh Jorgan is 2 names.

MaroonMan4
23rd Sep 2007, 08:23
Hey Vec,

Re-read my initial post - I dont think tha I could have been more appreciative of the BBC for the article - my point (obviously far too subtle) was aimed at the MoD PR machine and possibly those crews that were not aware that their names and mug shots were going to appear on the world wide web and be at the end of a search engine for life.

However, if there is a doubt - there is no doubt and thank you BBC for the very positive and informative article that was on your web site.

Pontius Navigator
23rd Sep 2007, 10:17
Recent thinking, especially in the Iraq area, was that a personality had more publicity value than a grey man.

Same could have been said for Iran with some high profiling and some invisible. If you are high profile then there may be more world media pressure.

In AFG I don't think they are that sophisticated. You would be :mad: either way.

ramp_up
26th Sep 2007, 11:45
So what happens when said person receives a DFC, MiD etc are they supposed to use a made up name or enter the witness program especially when the citations are published. Should we return to the old days when PIRA existed concerning the wearing of uniform off base. Or should we take a more realistic approach and inform our familles that should the worse occur when we are deployed to the sand pit they will be contacted by someone in person and not by Mr Insurgent down the phone. Even better I have informed my NOK a few choice phrases in Phastu, along the lines of your mother smells of elderberries etc if they should call. Even better the phrase the point of origin of your call has been traced please stay on the line for weapon release.

Wrathmonk
26th Sep 2007, 12:01
ramp_up

Couldn't agree more. If we want to be more in the public eye then we have to take a calculated "risk" as to the consequences. Though the Honours lists would make amusing reading if everyone was referred to as Soldie X, Airman Y and Sailor Z (although granted they are not usually photos with many of the wards).

I believe the individual still has a right not to participate in any media event if they don't wish. At the end of the day if any AQ Wannabies wanted to "cause a stir" they only have to go to W H Smiths and buy the RAF News, Soldier Magazine or Navy News to see the self congratulating back slapping that is produced within those...and perhaps register as a "Lonely Heart seeks brave soldier/airman/sailor"...

And as was proven during the PIRA campaign it is often the soft targets (bandsmen etc) who are targetted rather than those who were at the "sharp" end.