PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer Norton subscription to new computer?

Fg Off Max Stout
21st Sep 2007, 16:01
My old man is upgrading from an ancient desktop to a shiny new laptop. I normally end up sorting out most of his IT snags but I'm not sure about this one.

He has Norton Internet Security licenced and registered on the desktop with about 600 days left to run on the subscription. Is it possible to transfer this to the new laptop? I couldn't find anything useful on the Norton site - I guess they just want him to pay for the product a second time.

Any help appreciated.

tubby linton
21st Sep 2007, 16:21
I would transfer Norton to the bin and use one of the free anti-virus you can find on the net such as avira.

Saab Dastard
21st Sep 2007, 16:21
Product Activation

Q I see an error message that tells me that I have exceeded the allowable number of installs.

A Norton products are "keyed" to ensure they are legitimate versions of the product. This message appears when the product key has been used too many times. This problem cannot be solved online.

Contact Customer Service and one of our representatives will help you.

Try it, and if you have a problem, contact them - IM and email seem to be free.

SD

Fg Off Max Stout
21st Sep 2007, 19:01
I'll give that a try. Thanks very much!

DaveO'Leary
22nd Sep 2007, 22:50
I've been using NAV 04, when update runs out I use.........

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
Re-install and get another twelve months free updates.

Dave

Guess one day they'll sus me out lol.

Background Noise
26th Sep 2007, 16:33
Open a norton account, which saves your licence key, and then install on the new computer and log on - it should say 'this has xx days left'. I did it on daughter's new PC and that is just what happaened.

Air Driven Generator
29th Sep 2007, 13:29
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have used an Anti Virus Software called Avast for the last few years.
I have never had any form of virus and works a treat.

Oh the best thing about it is that it is free!

I seriously recommend it.

No I don't work for them either.

www.avast.com

ADG

Life's a Beech
29th Sep 2007, 22:54
Errrm, the version of Norton I use starts its subscription from the time it is installed. It is even possible to reinstall it on the same computer and it simply starts again. I happen to have a new copy with my newish computer, but I could have kept using the old one indefinitely.

W.R.A.I.T.H
30th Sep 2007, 09:35
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have used an Anti Virus Software called Avast for the last few years.
I have never had any form of virus and works a treat.
Oh the best thing about it is that it is free!
I seriously recommend it.
No I don't work for them either.
www.avast.com
ADG
Oh yes absolutely. I used Norton 03 for quite some time before, was too bulky a slowed the machine on startup like hell. Went avast, much betta.Yet went Linux though, afterwards:ok:
However as far as licensing went, there was a file called catalog.* or sth like that in docs'n'settings/all users/local settings and look for Symantec. Preserving that file and importing it onto a fresh install/new machine did the trick. It'd be really weird for Symantec to mark the machine configuration and bind it with a licence the way M$ do that with XPs. I'd say one call should sort it, tell them where the old machine has gone and unless they supply a new key in no time, switch to Avast.
Don't work for them either :)

DaveO'Leary
30th Sep 2007, 17:42
W.R.A.T.H
Thanks for the link(Avast) downloaded the av picked up some bas:mad: that caused my IE6 to crash...

Dave