PDA

View Full Version : CPL / ATPL Questions

TREAD LIGHTLY
21st Sep 2007, 11:58
Having watched this forum for quite a while I am fascinated by the questions asked by Pilots about their (future) qualifications, and the answers given.

Not being a Pilot myself (and not looking to be) I would like to know why there is so much confusion on gaining a PPL / ATPL / CPL / IR etc, including the "frozen" ATPL.

Surely there is a website telling the new potentional Pilots what the procedures and processes are to gain their qualifications including flying hours required.

For example is there a flowchart or written procedure on the JAA webite... telling them the process.

It justs seems so many people are being given different information by different instructors (my personal opinion).

Can somebody list what is required to go through the whole process from initial, PPL etc all the way to ATPL, just for me !.

Thanks in advance.

Whirlygig
21st Sep 2007, 12:08
Yes, you would think it is simple and, to an extent it is. However, most questions (although they do get asked quite frequently) relate to changes in the rules (which are different from Fixed Wing - hence confusion and duff information) and differences between the licences in each country. Lastly, the nature of the licence obtained depends on what one wants to do with the licence.

So for the UK/JAA, get a PPL(H), hour build to 155 hours whilst obtaining either 9 CPL(H) ground exams or 13 ATPL(H) ground exams, complete CPL(H) flying course and night qualification.

This will give you a CPL(H) with ATPL(H) theory credits. Then take Instrument Rating. This will give you a CPL/IR(H). If you only did the CPL exams, you will have another 6 IR exams to complete; if you did the ATPL exams, then there is no further studying required provided time limits were not exceeded.

Once stipulated experience has been achieved, the CPL/IR with ATPL theory can be converted into a full ATPL; the CPL/IR with CPL theory cannot. One would do the latter route if one wanted to be an instructor for example or had no intention of working the North Sea.

When the regs change so frequently, it's hard to get the true picture.

Cheers

Whirls