PDA

View Full Version : What is next Typhoon sqn

maverick.86
21st Sep 2007, 11:30
Any ideas who the next Typhoon squadron will be? what are the rumours? could it be 56 and 74?

OCCWMF
21st Sep 2007, 11:34
Yes. Scurrilous. No.

Boldface
21st Sep 2007, 11:40
I'll guarantee it won't be 56 or 74. I believe that 6 will be the next number plate.

OCCWMF
21st Sep 2007, 11:56
May the Eyes of the Army be open for another 93 years.:ok:

The Helpful Stacker
21st Sep 2007, 12:05
Surely everybody loves a canopener?

Archimedes
21st Sep 2007, 12:27
6 is already designated as being the next Typhoon squadron.

After that, the usual rules about seniority apply, which means that candidate number plates are something like 25, 43, 111 and 56. Despite its years as a reserve numberplate, 56 is still, I think slightly senior on the list to 111. However, AIUI, the AHB have realised that the list has at least one miscalculation of a squadron's seniority upon it, so the list may be slightly revised now.

74 could only reform as a Typhoon squadron if:

(a) The Air Staff alter policy on squadron numberplates (possible, but unlikely)

(b) If more senior fighter plates ahead of it in the list are employed for squadrons formed on other types, removing them from the pool

(c) If more Typhoon units than currently predicted are formed, either because we buy more or because some fiddling with the unit establishment is done so that we end up with front line numbers as planned, but in smaller squadrons (unlikely)

In effect, 74 is behind 25, 43, 111, 56 and 92 in order of likelihood of getting the Typhoon.

maverick.86
21st Sep 2007, 12:34
Shame...what a sight.....black tailed Typhoon:oh:

harrogate
21st Sep 2007, 12:38
What if an existing Sqn converts type?

Say, 15 Sqn to Typhoon OCU, for example... ;)

... there's a load of Saudis to convert now, see.... there may even be a dedicated OCU base, which may even be announced next week...

This is purely speculation, of course...

Al R
21st Sep 2007, 13:10
All this tradition is silly. I'm surprised no one on the board of directors has got a marketing person in to have a look at things. Just as Ford got rid of Cortina, so could we consider moving things along too. I mean, what does a number say about who we are, or what our values are? How about 74 (European Political and Economic Unity Air Co Operation) Sqn, or 111 (Save the Planet Earth, Save the Whale!) Sqn? In fact, who needs numbers? They reek of hierarchy and superiority.. talking of which, we can bin Air Superiority fighters too, they're smug and self satisfied and exclude lesser a/c types which may focus instead on diversity and inclusivity.

Archimedes
21st Sep 2007, 14:30
If an extant unit re-equips then everything continues as normal - however, this usually relies upon the creation of a designate squadron: x Squadron disbands at 2359:59 hrs and x(designate) squadron, which has formed on the new type some time before drops the 'designate' bit of its nomenclature at 0000:01.

This relies upon the RAF having sufficient cash to run the extant unit and the designate unit together for a couple of months. And at the moment it doesn't...

Toddington Ted
21st Sep 2007, 15:36
What about resurrecting a famous WW2 Typhoon Sqn? Perhaps 609 (I know it was an Auxiliary Air Force Sqn). The Hawker Typhoon equipped the following sqns according to my "Brooke Bond Book of the Air" reference: 1,3,56,137,164,168,174,175,181,182,183,184,186,193,195.197.1 98,245,247,257,263,266,438,439,440,486,609.
184 Sqn's badge is a heraldic gun barrel (which would link in nicely to the new Typhoon having a gun after all the faff) and 195 Sqn's badge shows a sabre-toothed tiger head to refer to the original typhoon's powerplant, the Napier Sabre. Well, it is Friday afternoon and Maverick did ask the question.:8

Archimedes
21st Sep 2007, 15:39
On the same theme, Ted, we could go for 188 Sqn for the JCA - a squadron so stealthy there is some doubt as to whether it actually existed...

BluntM8
21st Sep 2007, 17:44
we can bin Air Superiority fighters too,

Could we have Air Equal Opportunities fighters? Or will I need another excuse for the way I fly?

:}

Maple 01
21st Sep 2007, 19:21
All this tradition is silly.
Ask any ex 6 Sqn types if that's true,

IMO when 11GP was changed to 11/18 (then amalgamated into 2, now God-knows 3?) the rot set in, us Air Defenders lost ‘something’ that you couldn’t put your finger on.....You may as well say why allow the Brigade of Guards to hang onto their funny uniforms.

If I wasn't so knackered I'd write something witty (well perhaps not...) about belonging and following in the footsteps of our forbears, comradeship and loyalty. I'd even make a stab at 'tradition' before our brown and dark blue chums had a quick sneer ;)

Before anyone asks I wasn’t never 6 sqn

edited to ad "bugger - too tired to notice irony....."

soprano54
21st Sep 2007, 21:52
What about 54 :) It would be nice to see Pilot Officer Rochford again!!!

Audax Omnia Perpiti

Alber Ratman
21st Sep 2007, 22:00
The Flying Canopeners will be the next Typhoon unit to form.
Seniority is way over anybody else.

It is not going to be any other number...

whowhenwhy
22nd Sep 2007, 11:15
I'm with Mr Soprano. In terms of history as a Fighter Squadron, 54(F) should get Typhoon after 6. I've still not got my head around why 54(F)'s numberplate went to the ISTAR OCU.

Squirrel 41
22nd Sep 2007, 11:25
Is here: http://www.rafreserves.com/the_units/UnitDetails.aspx?unit=82

S41

Jobza Guddun
22nd Sep 2007, 11:44
Surely it's better to be an (R) Sqn than not at all? Just look at the ones we're missing now, e.g 10,16,35,44,74, 92 and so on. I guess someone on high liked 54, as well as the seniority bit which Archimedes has eloquently explained elsewhere.

I think we should find ways of getting more numberplates back - although how 76 made a reappearance escapes me!

Tim McLelland
22nd Sep 2007, 11:53
No. 6 Squadron has been the next planned squadron for some time I believe. Earlier this year, it was hoped that the Saudi training unit could temporarily use the number plate so that 6 Squadron could continue its record of unbroken service after withdrawal of the Jaguar, but when the Jag's withdrawal date was brought forward still further, the idea was obviously a non-starter.

After 6 Sqn reforms I guess it'll be 43 and either 56 or 111 that re-equips, depending on which traditions are in favour with the powers-that-be at the time! However, there's still the question of what happens to 25 Squadron's number plate next year...

Guess much depends on what "definitive" information you care to believe. I'd be inclined to believe nothing until you see the appropriate standard being paraded! Don't suppose there's much chance of 74 Squadron ever re-appearing as a Typhoon squadron - somehow I don't think the Big Chiefs really care whether plane spotters want to see a black-tailed (or tiger striped!) Typhoon or not!;)

Squirrel 41
22nd Sep 2007, 11:56
Jobza-

>I think we should find ways of getting more numberplates back

Perhaps by have a right-sized front line able to meet the military task?

No, it'll never catch on.....

S41

(But Tiger striped Typhoons or a diamond nine in blue courtesy of 92 would be very nice....)

gar170
22nd Sep 2007, 12:40
If 609 sqn did become the next sqn to get typhoons i think i would join the Oggies again mind cant fly but what a way to spend your w/ends.

soprano54
22nd Sep 2007, 15:58
Same argument heard before - If the 'Battle of Britain' is the only Battle Honour that is celebrated in the RAF, then why do the hierachy insist on disbanding the Sqns that took part!:hmm:

JT Eagle
22nd Sep 2007, 16:09
Of the old Typhoon Squadrons listed, 486 (RNZAF) is my pic, but then again you'd have to crew it mostly with Kiwis. Now where would we find any of them? Hmm...

JT

The AvgasDinosaur
22nd Sep 2007, 16:59
What is really required are more squadrons. There are plenty of numbers to go round, its aircraft and petrol to put in 'em we are short of.
Be lucky
David

Just my 'umble 2p

Archimedes
22nd Sep 2007, 21:25
Jobza,

76 re-emerged because as an (R) plate number, the same rules don't apply. The CO felt that the number was appropriate given the historic links between 76 Squadron and Yorkshire.

Their Airships could've said 'nice idea, but you'll use the following number, which is the most senior currently dormant', but chose not to (off the top of my head, I think that the most senior numberplate not in use at the time was 10 and there are rumours that there are plans for that one!)

TM - yes, 6 has been known as the next Typhoon unit for some time; if the 25 Sqn plate is free when the time comes to form the fourth front-line Typhoon unit, which it almost certainly will be, then unless the air staff misapply the policy it'll be 25. The other squadrons will be the most senior (fighter/FGA/FR) numberplates not in use at the time of formation of the squadron

If, for instance, a decision (unlikely) were to be taken to run 43 and 111 on for a couple more years, then policy would suggest that Typhoon squadrons five, six and seven (if we get all seven) would be 56, 92 and 74, with 43 and 111 then being in line to be JCA units or disbanding.

There are rumours that there was an alternative suggestion, not enacted, during the creation of EAWs that might've seen the size of squadrons being reduced, thus enabling the reformation of a couple of historic units [the rationale here wasn't simply a forced attempt to put tradition ahead of force structure].

It should be noted that all the available documentation actually shows that members of the Air Staff who are involved in this sort of thing generally don't try to cook the books to get 'their' squadron reformed, although this does of course happen. It is said that one of the obstacles to wholesale fiddling is that they know that the head of the AHB will and make the offender trying to breach policy go away and write a completely new policy on squadron numbering for homework - which the head of AHB will red pen until the Air Marshal has rewritten it properly. This seems to have put them off...

Squirrel 41
23rd Sep 2007, 08:32
Archimedes,

Many thanks for a good laugh this morning! Out of interest, how far down the line would we have to go to get 85 Sqn reformed? I presume that it's time as a Bloodhound Sqn counts toward seniority?

Cheers!

S41