PDA

View Full Version : Royal Brunei

Alex 009
21st Sep 2007, 00:21
Does anyone have any comments on the Royal Brunei Airlines? I know I have left it late but need to get back to Sydney (from London) over the Xmas holidays and they offer one of the cheapest fares.

Salusa
21st Sep 2007, 04:02
An excellent airline with real service, especially if traveling with kids as was in my case.

The only reason why I don’t regularly fly with them is the long stop over in Brunei connecting to Jakarta.

If it’s a one off flight and budget/availability is an issue, I can’t recommend them highly enough.

No concern to me, but it is a dry airline, although you can take your own booze if you wish.

Big Harvey
22nd Sep 2007, 05:58
Do they let you drink your own booze on the plane then? Presumably you would have to take it in the form of miniatures to avoid liquid restrictions.

I'm booked to fly to Auckland with them next year for the cricket. I wasn't planning to drink on the plane, but was thinking of slipping a few miniatures into my hand luggage in case of a missed connection and a night in Brunei. My understanding is that it's perfectly legal for non-Muslims to drink in Brunei, but I'm not sure how easy it is to obtain booze there on an overnight stopover.

Anyway, it's good to hear something positive about an airline I'm going to fly with which I don't know much about, and that seems to get fairly mixed reviews on Skytrax.

primreamer
22nd Sep 2007, 10:48
My wife and the kids flew LHR-DXB-LHR with Royal Brunei back in August and they were very well looked after, no complaints at all.

Alex 009
22nd Sep 2007, 10:59
I also like the idea of long-haul on a 763. 2-3-2 seems better then 3-4-3

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
22nd Sep 2007, 11:02
They didn't used to have seatback tvs in all cabins - even business class if my memory serves me correctly when I looked at using them a couple of years ago.

possumshagger
23rd Sep 2007, 01:03
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

Bare in mind this is a very small company and doesn't have the resources that even some of the budget carriers have, plus read what the crews have to say in Royal Brunei forums?

gdiphil
23rd Sep 2007, 08:17
My mother has used them for 3 return flights LHR to Brunei in Y and she is a very experienced traveller. She thinks they are fine to travel with, loves the stop in the middle east as a means to get some exercise, doesn't drink, and is not concerned with the indifferent IFE. I have used them BKK to Brunei once in business, which was excellent and once in Y which was ok. I travel to SYD twice a year and would be happy to use them if the fare was competitive. What puts me off is the excessive wait in Brunei. I have found that it is possible to get beer in only Chinese restruants in Brunei.

Salusa
23rd Sep 2007, 13:34
You can take and consume your own booze onboard.

I bought a couple of bottles of wine during the stopover in Dubai (make sure they are screwtops).

Otherwise just buy what you need at LHR duty free.

Just be considerate and respectful and it wont be a problem.

Alex 009
5th Nov 2008, 04:33
I know this post hasn't been touched for over a year, but next year I have a wedding to attend back in the UK, and am after a cheap fare. Me and my partner will be travelling, and although we do enjoy a drink every now and again, we never drink when we travel. Just wondering what the schedule is for RBA leaving from Brisbane, and if anyone has any reviews (good or bad)?