PDA

View Full Version : CTC Phase 2. How's the Maths?

mrwilko
20th Sep 2007, 19:26
The screeners by some miracle have overlooked the fact I'm no longer a pimply youth and have allowed me on to phase 2 of the Club 328 selection administered by CTC. Assuming they use the same battery of tests as for their other schemes, what are peoples' experiences of the numeracy. Any advice warmly accepted, even from pimply youths. mrwilko

Polorutz
20th Sep 2007, 19:30
I got no idea what is this club 328 that you speak about... but if the phase 2 is anything like the normal CTC cadets phase 2, expect long divisions and multiplications, unit conversions, currency conversions, 15 questions and 15 minutes, no calculator allowed.

nicksmalley
20th Sep 2007, 20:56
Nasty decimals or nice round numbers (ish)? :O

komac2
20th Sep 2007, 22:32
I got no idea what is this club 328 that you speak about...

CTC is recruiting/Testing 11 RHS Pilots for Club328 press release on is CTCs website you have to apply via www.club328.com (http://www.club328.com)

Polorutz
21st Sep 2007, 08:21
well seeing how that is for already graduated pilots with ATPLs id assume that they might use another type of test.

The cadet math test had decimals.

Saxamaphone
8th Oct 2007, 13:29
Hi there Mr Wilko

I'm through to Phase 2 for the Club 328 as well.

The very helpful lady at CTC told me that the maths test was GCSE level, without a calculator.

Lets hope GCSEs have got easier over the last 15 years like people keep saying!

See you there.

Good luck fella!:ok:

Saxamaphone

ecosystem_repair_man
16th Oct 2007, 20:01
Hi Guys,
I too am through to the CTC Phase 2 (and also not a pimply youth - is there a theme here)? My selection is on the 26th Oct and I am about to purchase the PILAPT / Cockpitweb prep software. Have you been for your selection day yet and if so would you recommend these two? Also do you have any other general advice / comments about the day?
Cheers,
E_R_M:ok:

portsharbourflyer
16th Oct 2007, 20:21
On the theme of the age, well on my phase 2 for club328 most candidates did seem to be instructors in the late twenties/early thirties age bracket; not excessively old but we felt old compared to the youths turning up to be assessed for the wings scheme.

Remember corporate operators need to present a "mature" image to the clients, on a citation/premier you are alot closer to the passengers than on a 737, therefore seeing older people will certainly make the passengers feel more reasurred even if the experience of the FO isn't that high.

AdamLT
16th Oct 2007, 20:35
ecosystem repair man......don't bother getting the software. you will just test ur ability on this, and not the 1 that is used at CTC. i took my phase 2 last week and passed. it was a tough day but very enjoyable. just keep relaxed and u'll be fine.

as for the maths..this was pretty tough. i have to re take it at stage 3. i guess i didnt practice much under timed conditions, which is wot im doiung now.

all the best lads with the selection

ad

portsharbourflyer
16th Oct 2007, 21:03
The maths is multiple choice, so while the questions can initially look quite demanding, in reality it was quite straight forward.

As it is multiple choice my advice is to work "backwards" on the maths, as the answers are in front of you so it is often easier to work the answers back into the question rather than trying to calculate things from scratch using the raw data.

AdamLT
16th Oct 2007, 21:17
good thinking about working backwards ;)
useful bit of advice

R T Jones
16th Oct 2007, 22:42
Am slightly confused by this thread, are you asking about the phase 2 of the CTC Wings programme or the club 328 recruitment carried out by CTC on behalf of club 328. I am thinking the latter but wanted to be sure! Having failed the maths test at phase 2 and later passing it at phase 3 it is defiantly something you can practice for. Get used to multiplying and dividing numbers in your head, long division and multiplication and do a little revision on square and cube numbers ;)

portsharbourflyer
17th Oct 2007, 08:40
This thread is reference to the Club328 scheme. However I believe the stage 2 tests at CTC are the same for C328, Wings and the AQC.

Exhibitz
17th Oct 2007, 21:49
About the maths: simply round all the numbers to nearest whole number or .5 and then do it, the answers they provide are usually apart so it will be easy to determine the correct answer quickly using simply numbers. I did come across a few which were close, 2 I believe, however you can then spend a bit more time on those, I ended up spending about 3 minutes on each of them if that helps (the first one's are very easy, simple multiplication 32x83 or something, try not to rush as the time provided is plently when you come to do it) Best of luck!

Joe.

Andrén
17th Oct 2007, 21:54
Are you at least allowed to have pen and paper during the math test?

AdamLT
18th Oct 2007, 11:59
yes....you have a pen and paper but asked to leave this at the end of the test. i suppose so u dont write the q's down and take them with u, and in the case of retaking the maths at another stage, you won't remember the q's.

DONTHEFLY
27th Oct 2007, 16:18
Hello,

i read your comment in this thread concerning the Club 328 selection. I hope all went well for you. So I am supposed to go to CTC for the Phase 2 at the 2nd of November. If you have any usefull Information concerning the selection procedure or the subjects they ask, it would be verry nice to tell me something about. What about the tests regarding hand/eye coordination, spatial awareness, flying ability and capacity.