PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia,

ChrisVJ
20th Sep 2007, 04:02
Can anyone tell me anything about Air Asia?

Thanks,
Possible SLF!

Insh Allah
20th Sep 2007, 04:10
It's an Airline!! :D

Bardy
20th Sep 2007, 06:30
I believe Air Asia, a low cost carrier, was started by an Indian gentleman in Malaysia. They are headquartered at KLIA, Kuala Lumpur. They use only Airbus, and because their air fleet is relatively new, I feel reasonably safe flying this low cost carrier. In Jan 2008 they are supposed to be acquiring A340's for flights to Europe, Stanstead(sp) London. I know nothing of their maintenance activities, I only hope they are more diligent than the locals who tend to have complete apathy toward preventive maintenance schedules. They don't as of now share the same terminal as International carriers. Theirs is called the Low Cost Carrier Terminal a separate terminal but common runways.

Curious Pax
20th Sep 2007, 08:08
Nearly, except:

I believe Air Asia, a low cost carrier, was started by an Indian gentleman in Malaysia.
No, by a Malaysian state owned firm, DRB-Hicom. Struggled till taken over by Tony Fernandes

They are headquartered at KLIA, Kuala Lumpur.
Correct, although there is also Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia, officially based in their own respective countries, but all part of the same brand.

They use only Airbus, and because their air fleet is relatively new, I feel reasonably safe flying this low cost carrier.
They are taking delivery of new A320s (have 27 so far), but still run about 34 737-300s.

In Jan 2008 they are supposed to be acquiring A340's for flights to Europe, Stanstead(sp) London.
It's Stansted. And they are using A330s (as AirAsiaX) - first one was delivered a few days ago. First longhaul routes are thought to be to China, but nothing official yet.

I know nothing of their maintenance activities, I only hope they are more diligent than the locals who tend to have complete apathy toward preventive maintenance schedules.
No idea, but in my limited experience Malaysia is better than some neighbours in this respect.

They don't as of now share the same terminal as International carriers. Theirs is called the Low Cost Carrier Terminal a separate terminal but common runways.
Think you mean full service carriers - AirAsia are an international airline too.

joniveson
21st Sep 2007, 06:49
I flew with them once about 18 months ago and wouldn't hurry to do so again. I chose them purely because of their schedule, there was very little price difference between them and Malaysia Airlines but their time suited me. Or it would have done had the flight not been delayed! I know delays happen but there was no information given at all until after the scheduled time of departure and the low cost terminal at KL is very uncomfortable and has very limited facilities.

The check in staff were efficient but miserable. The cabin crew were so pushy trying to sell souvenirs, they wouldn't take no for an answer - I think the phrase was "just look, it costs nothing to look."

By the time I paid my for my 3kilos excess baggage the price ended up the same as my return flight with Malaysia Airlines.

I've flown Malaysia Airlines a few times, both internationally and domestically and couldn't fault them. Far superior to Air Asia for the same price.

smala01
21st Sep 2007, 11:53
Ive flown Thai air asia a couple of times. Both on time with pleasant flight crew on new(ish) planes.

Similar product to the lo-co`s here, basic, but (in my case) very reasonably priced.