PDA

View Full Version : Sea Knight on fire, video

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2007, 20:54
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a26_1190194748

Lucky they had only just left the deck.

glad rag
19th Sep 2007, 21:09
Holy s#1t, that was a close call!, did you see the way the flames propagated forwards??????

Fg Off Max Stout
19th Sep 2007, 21:11
F-----g hell! :eek: That could easily have had a less happy ending!

kiwi chick
20th Sep 2007, 05:28
Whoah! Bloody Hell! :eek: and everything else you've already said!! :eek:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: **** how scary would that be?!!!

MostlyHarmless
20th Sep 2007, 07:24
My worst nightmare, that's probably one of the scariest aviation vids I've ever seen. :uhoh:

JOE-FBS
20th Sep 2007, 08:13
Airborne Artist,

Thanks for posting this. I work in the civilian cabin safety business (and fly a lot as SLF) so have circulated the link to lots of people in and around the business to help them realise why we do what we do.

Thanks again

Joe

Navy_Adversary
20th Sep 2007, 08:16
What would have started that so quickly, a fuel leak?

airborne_artist
20th Sep 2007, 08:32
JoeFBS - I saw it on Rotorheads here on Pprune, and thought it deserved a wider audience. Glad it's of use.

cornish-stormrider
20th Sep 2007, 08:32
What hyd fluid do it use??

I once had the pleasure of an F3 APU and ruptured hyd pipe from the right hand side sps pack. That burnt well.

TheSmiter
20th Sep 2007, 08:47
If you take the time to wade through the moronic and abusive comments attached to this vid, you'll find:

This happened in Sept of 1998 aboard the
"Bonhomer Richard", pronounced with a
french dialect. My squadron was HMM-164 and I was
a CH-46 Helo Mech. We were supporting Operation
Urban Warrior off the Monterey coast in
California. This bird was taking media crews back
and forth from land to the carrier all day and at
this moment they were leaving to go back to shore.
I was in the chow hall aboard the Bonhomer
"Dick" when this happened. CH-46
crewchief Sgt. Beyers received smoke inhalation
while saving these people and was treated at the
scene. For his actions "under fire", no
pun intended, he received a Certificate of
comendation and a "NAM". After
investigating, it was found that a pinhole in one
of the aft transmission lines was
atomizing(spraying) fluid and the spray was being
sucked into the aft generator and this caused the
fire. Transmission fluid is not flammable in large
quantities but when atomized it is very flammable.
The aft portion of this bird was completely
destroyed and had to be removed and replaced.
After 9 months of rebuilding this bird was put
back into the fleet and renumbered. Before the
fire it was #07 and after we got it back it was
#15.
Cpl Petree USMC 97-02

Really emphasises the need for rapid and decisive action in the event of an onboard fire - which has to be your worst nightmare, it is mine.

I guess they won't be using this clip in any of those 'I'm scared of flying' courses.

Thanks for the link a_a I won't be able to sleep now. :ooh:

OCCWMF
20th Sep 2007, 08:53
Is it anywhere that's accessible to work computers?

Safety_Helmut
20th Sep 2007, 09:10
Is it anywhere that's accessible to work computers?
I'm on a work computer, and it works!

I don't work for the MoD though ! :E

tucumseh
20th Sep 2007, 09:12
I recall a SK5, perhaps an early 6, having a similar problem around 1986. Leak from sonics pithead gear hydraulic line and caught fire. Was it Prestwick? Crew got out, although injured. Cab was Cat 4. Frightening.

Bob Viking
20th Sep 2007, 09:40
Bring back the 'Shags' computer I say.
Where did it end up by the way?!
BV;)

airborne_artist
20th Sep 2007, 09:47
HM Coastguard S61 destroyed by fire after emergency landing in 2002. Engine bearing fault suspected. AAIB report (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/sites/aaib/cms_resources/dft_avsafety_pdf_503163.pdf)

ALM In Waiting
20th Sep 2007, 09:52
You've got to admire the steady hand of the camera man...:eek:

OCCWMF
20th Sep 2007, 10:27
Those nasty Twelve (-1) Monkeys took it over. The place is unrecognisable now!

Green Flash
20th Sep 2007, 11:52
Ferkin' 'ell!:eek: I bet the ships laundry was doing overtime with the crews underwear! Some cool dude on the camera too. Follow the drills and walk (well, leg it like a nutter) away! :ok: for getting it back on the deck.

tyne
20th Sep 2007, 12:11
As a civvy who regulary flies in mil helos, that's a great reminder to teke note of the brief.

I have one question.

It sounds like the engines are cut as the helo lands back on. Everyone exits the helo as the rotors are powering down.

I've always been taught NEVER to do this and indeed got an entirely deserved Bo****king for trying to do it once on a helo. A lesson I remember every time I fly.

I'm guessing it's the lesser of two evils - fire or flying rotor blades.

I would however like to know what the correct procedure is for exiting a helo in these circumstances.

Dan

Mr-AEO
20th Sep 2007, 12:36
That's scary. I refer to my earlier comment about OM-15. Get rid of it and design it out. In this day and age, we shouldn't be putting 3000psi of transmission fluid down a tube next to ignition sources. As stated, a pin hole will cause atomisation and a fireball in micro seconds although you could throw a match in a pool of it and be ok.

You only have to look at the RN Merlin that ditched at the ranges near Scotland to see the effect of a hydraulic fire. AW are now designing in a HEAT system to replace the top deck hydraulics undr MCSP; until then, they have gert big wing mirrors to see the fire.

Re: the SK5 that had a fire from the Hydraulics. I think it was a Pinger and the Utilities sprang a leak from the umbilical that connects to the Sonar Winch. The a/c is still in the Flight Safety Hangar at RNAS Yeovilton and used as a learning point on how to break the accident chain.

Fg Off Max Stout
20th Sep 2007, 12:42
Two T-handles and an armful of rotorbrake as soon as it was on the deck, I assume. If you stick around the smoke and flames will definitely get you. If you egress you're just unlucky if you get struck by a sailing blade, and that's pretty unlikely. I know which one I'd go for.

I've had a cabin and cockpit full of hydraulic mist from a microscopic hole in a high pressure hydraulic line in the past. A strange sweet smell / taste in the air and a realisation that a flash fire is going to sting (and breathing it in can't be too good for you either). We shut down and exited fairly promptly. I've met a few people who have tried to find hydraulic leaks with their hands and have had fingers cut off by the invisible HP jet. Dangerous stuff.

High_lander
20th Sep 2007, 15:38
Incredible and terrifying video.

Must've been interesting in being the other -46 behind it.