PDA

View Full Version : BBMF Flypast New Waltham

The Gorilla
19th Sep 2007, 10:58
The BBMF Lancaster just flew over my house at 11:41 hours today. It was a climbing steepish and low left hand turn over the Greenlands Development after what appeared to be a fly through some where near New Waltham, Grimsby.

Absolutely brilliant, made my windows rattle, bloomin lovely and brought a lump to my throat!!! :D:)

Could some one in the know please tell me what the fly past was for and if any of the crew see my thread could they PM me? I am interested to know if any of my ex 8/23 Sqn colleagues were on board!

Regards
TG

Phileas Fogg
19th Sep 2007, 11:03
Displaying at Hemswell

Duplo
19th Sep 2007, 12:55
The 'Phantom' also flew over Waltham airfield today scattering the ashes of Harold 'Ben' Bennet DFM. Ben painted the original artwork on the nose his Lanc while stationed at Waltham during WWII. A fitting tribute.

Duplo

harrogate
19th Sep 2007, 16:54
Gorilla

You must've been stood near me! I saw the exact same sight as you. I was doing a site visit on the building site at Station House, by the old railway crossing.

He actually did at least 2 tight circuits of RAF Waltham. The first one I saw took him over the back of Prettyman Crescent, so not quite over the village. Not so sure it was anything to do with the Hemswell display.

My grandad was a 100 Sqn Lanc techie at Waltham. He lives 2 doors down from the Station House yard where I was stood and it was nice that he saw it for the second pass after coing out to see what the fuss was after the first!

Lovely tight bank right over the village. Must've been 500ft and the tugging winds made it look that bit more dramatic in the blue sky!

Pontius Navigator
19th Sep 2007, 18:53
TG, don't remember you but do remember Hissing Sid :)

The Gorilla
19th Sep 2007, 19:21
Pontius

No can't say as I do but I have to admit my memory is fading fast!!

Harrogate

Then you weren't more than 400 yards away from me! Are they going to build anything there sometime soon?

Duplo

Thanks for that, Waltham and New Waltham are not that far apart.

Regards and thanks to all
TG

harrogate
19th Sep 2007, 22:00
Gorilla

Yes - expect 7 railway-style cottages/town houses and a re-built Station House for completion by July '08. The new road will be called 'Station Mews'.

All looks very nice, actually. Been delayed completely unnecessarily, due to the wonderful N.E. Lincs council Town Planning Department, seemingly.

Duplo
20th Sep 2007, 08:00
Gents, you may wish to look at the 100 Sqn Association website for details on what the Sqn and Association is up to. There are also details on how to join! Next big event will be Remembrance Sunday when the Association and Sqn members will gather at the 100 Sqn Waltham Memorial. There will be a small ceremony followed by a flypast of 4 100 Sqn Hawks.
All the best, Duplo.
http://www.100squadronassociation.org.uk/news.htm

GeeRam
20th Sep 2007, 21:33
Just been pointed to this rather evocative little clip on youtube.........:ok:

Low level wing waggle by the Hurricane to joe public at the end is....:D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8zBQ2w50wWc