PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Air Arm Acquaint Course

snowy_owl
18th Sep 2007, 22:44
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know what the fleet air arm acquaint is? on the RN website i can only find the rating one in scotland?!

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2007, 05:58
Culdrose and Yeovilton, hardly surprisingly (name me any other NAS :{)

Go to Yeovilton and you'll get a full dunker trip, for free. Better than any ride at Alton Towers :ok:.

snowy_owl
19th Sep 2007, 08:37
That'd be cool, but i meant what would i actually do there, is it just like different section visits, or do i 'shadow' someone through a 'typical' day??

mustflywillfly
19th Sep 2007, 12:06
Typically a day spent at Yeovilton visiting different sections/ units / squadrons.

I used to baby sit the acquaint when I was a holdover pilot. Expect a full dunker trip and a ride in a Sea King Mk4 with some stick and rudder time plus a winch up from the airfield.

Of course this was back in 1999. Can't imagine it has changed that much unless, of course, the penny pinchers have had their way.

Call your local AFCO and speak to the Area Careers Liasion Officer about getting the acquaint jacked up and whats involved.

Good luck with your application but just remember if you really want to fly then your first choice has to be the RAF. I think the reason why is pretty obvious.

Cheers MFWF

bad livin'
19th Sep 2007, 12:10
Pester the AFCO until you can be sent on one of these - they're terrific. I went on one in 98 and flew in both SK6 and Jetstream. Everyone in the wardroom was incredibly welcoming and the whole thing was very useful. You'll get the grand tour of the station, probably visit all the resident units, and get to speak to a fair few people. Crack on!

:ok:
BL

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2007, 12:15
Daughter #2 went on FAA POAC at VL in July - Mk4 trip inc LHS time, Dunker, trip to a sqn, gym session inc. bleep test run, not too much death by PowerPoint. Started Sunday late pm, finished mid pm Weds.

She's off to FATs on Monday 24th :ok:

snowy_owl
19th Sep 2007, 14:53
Oh wow that sounds really cool, i'm going on one on 15th-18th October, but i don't know what RNAS i'm going to, the AFCO is sending the paper work through with the rail warrant.

Good luck with your application but just remember if you really want to fly then your first choice has to be the RAF. I think the reason why is pretty obvious.

I thought about it and started visiting the AFCO when i was 16, but the RAF people didn't really seem to want to help me at all. So i've since been dealing with the navy and they are far better, at least at AFCO level they want me to join just as much as i want to join!

Plus if i'm based on a ship then i'll get to travel loads, which is a bonus.

mustflywillfly
19th Sep 2007, 15:36
I thought about it and started visiting the AFCO when i was 16, but the RAF people didn't really seem to want to help me at all. So i've since been dealing with the navy and they are far better, at least at AFCO level they want me to join just as much as i want to join!

I had the same experience, the Navy recruiting was more proactive and they were far more approachable. Hence I joined the dark blue. Regretted it though.....

Just remember the RAF have a lot more aircraft types!

Whatever you decide good luck.

MFWF

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2007, 16:17
I take it you got chopped then, MustFly?

Bismark
19th Sep 2007, 19:23
Snowy Owl,
Do not listen to MustFly, he is clearly bitter and twisted about something. Look at the RN web-site/Navy News and compare with RAF/RAF News. Where there is a ship there is an aircraft and there is a ship in the four corners of the globe. If you go FW or Jungly you are guaranteed a medal from Iraq or Afghanistan. And the people are great too - as you will find out on your aquaint. In the FAA the aircrew talk to their engineers...........

airborne_artist
19th Sep 2007, 20:35
Miss Artiste had an RN ship visit earlier this year. Ten spotty teenagers on board HMS Albion for a week - but they were given a great time by all.

She commented, without prompting, how everyone in the Wardroom was interested, helpful, and engaged with them. Albion's Captain (rank as well as job title) had a 30 minute session with the group. Says volumes, IMHO. I'm not surprised, but then I'm biased.

She also did a week's work experience at the secret Oxon RW base. Didn't even meet the Sqn 2 i/c, despite the fact that she'd been allocated the slot due to her interest in the Services.

WhiteOvies
19th Sep 2007, 21:35
An air aquaint is an excellent 'first look' at the FAA and I would highly recommend it. Life as a WAFU is pretty good compared to other branches and you will certainly travel. If the weather is good expect some stick time in a helo, I ended up chasing trains in a Sea King 4 when I did my aquaint more years ago than i care to mention. Hooked me completely, the next trick is passing the boards....

When I was at Yeovilton we always tried to look after the visitors, most of us remember what it was like to be young and impressionable before we became bitter and twisted!;)

Nag at the ACLO to get you as many visits as possible, it makes a huge difference at the AIB if you have actually seen first hand what your future could be. Enjoy it and good luck in the future.:ok:

Jimmy Macintosh
19th Sep 2007, 22:59
I went on that course about 1991, excellent experience, thoroughly enjoyed it. I was sent to Yeovilton.

Main things I remember:
Ride in the Dunker an exerience and half, nearly drowned in that when they made me get out of the other side!

Hour and half in the Sea King, Life raft drills in the swimming pool,

A couple of us got dragged across the pool in a parachute harness while trying to get out (fire hoses were included),

Visit to the FAA museum,

Lots of hanger walk arounds.