PDA

View Full Version : Royal Navy AIB (Admiralty Interview Board) Suggestions

shiko
18th Sep 2007, 18:05
Hi,

This is my first post and was seeking advice from some of you in the know.

I am attending the Royal Navy AIB for the first time in November and am wondering of any advice or tips that you could spare me?

I have sat the flying aptitude tests and was also wondering how much bearing they have on actual ability and during the selection procedure. I was told that I achieved a score of 170 and the cut off was 112. To me this sounds good but if the test is out of 300/400 then maybe they aren't as good as first thought.

Many Thanks,

Shiko

tubby linton
18th Sep 2007, 18:19
Have a look on rumration.This question is asked regularly on there.

blimy
18th Sep 2007, 20:39
Well thats the highest score I've heard of before. I thought it was out of 160, shows what I know! They will snap you up with a score like that!

icecold727
28th Nov 2007, 18:53
just out of curiosity what date is your board, as i also have mine in November (or have just had)

You sure you got 170? i got 129/112 for pilot then 136 for observer...

airborne_artist
28th Nov 2007, 19:17
A score of over 145 for P or O is exceptional, I understand. I think that Blimy may well be right about 160 being the max.

Blimy is struggling to get to BRNC with a pass at AIB and a 120 pilot score.

vecvechookattack
28th Nov 2007, 19:22
I was recently working with an Officer Cadet who got 150/152 and that was considered exceptional....

Mick Strigg
29th Nov 2007, 08:23
The scores mean very little at the AIB. Youmay have 170 out of 170 for all they care, but if you are a complete plonker they still won't have you.

That said, just be yourself. They are not looking for any particular qualities, but are looking at the whole package. So when you are asked what newspaper you read, don't reply TIMES and TELEGRAPH unless you really do read them daily. If you read the SUN, say so.

Get involved and involve others and enjoy the experience.

proctor
29th Nov 2007, 08:32
Get involved and involve others and enjoy the experience.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Get to know the others on your board as well as you can, and just have fun.

blimy
29th Nov 2007, 11:50
Edit that one A_A, I have now failed to get a place at BRNC. I have also been told that my scores need to be significantly increased if i was to re-apply and that it might be a waste of time.

Don't worry this hasn't put me off, they'll be hearing from me in the new year, and I have an RAF P2 on mon :}

airborne_artist
29th Nov 2007, 12:36
Onwards and upwards, Blimy, good to hear you are sticking at it.

As Blimy has shown, you need to be getting an aptitude score of 130, and an AIB pass. Aircrew selection for BRNC is based on aptitude, given that you also passed AIB. A high pass at AIB won't make up for a low aptitude score, even if it is a pass (112 pass score).

I'm told that the following is current:

pass 112 up to 180 max while anything over 150 is good

proctor
29th Nov 2007, 14:47
A high pass at AIB won't make up for a low aptitude score, even if it is a pass (112 pass score).

Certainly my experience - I 'passed' FATs for pilot and observer, did well at AIB, and was then told due to inadequate pilot FATs scores I could take observer or nothing. I felt a bit cheated - is it just me that finds it somewhat underhand to send happy little candidates off to AIB with a pass at FATs only to be tell them later that it was really a fail? Was it just a ploy because they're short of observers?

Gosh, don't I sound bitter...