PDA

View Full Version : Flying To Ireland

bvgs
17th Sep 2007, 19:49
I am wishing to fly my heli to Ireland, either south first(Galway) and North later or vice versa. I want to fly from my home(private site) South of Glasgow, perhaps directly to a Hotel in one of the above places. Is this possible if I inform the boys at Special Branch or does it have to be Licensed Airfield to Licensed Airfield? If it is once landed there can I fly to my next destination without informing the boys in blue?

Finally, how many pints of Guiness does the Irish Aviation Authority allow you to have and still fly? Joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OEI and Still Flying
17th Sep 2007, 20:49
1. No Special Branch requirements required in Ireland
2. No such thing as booking out
3. Flight plan required for zone entries
4. No such thing as free call on route you will be handed on as you go
5. ATC helpful and understanding
6. Dublin can be quite busy
7. Class G airspace will accept information only
8. 127.5mhz (Shannon FIS) covers the country
9. Tel for flight plans 00 353 61703750
Fax 00 353 61 471965
Email from blackberry etc on the move [email protected]
They don’t encourage flight plans by phone but will accept.

maxdrypower
17th Sep 2007, 21:05
There are no SB requirements once your in ireland flying between places but there certainly is to get there if your flying from the mainland . It is twelve hours notice minimum and a GAR form will need to be faxed accordingly in this time

bvgs
18th Sep 2007, 07:49
So can I inform them and fly private site to private site, either in the North or the South or both or neither???

Bladecrack
18th Sep 2007, 08:22
Yes, however if you are crossing the border (south to north or vice versa) from private site to private site you still need to complete a GAR and fax to SB in the PSNI giving 12 hrs notice.

Regarding a previous post, you will need to book out at most larger airfields eg Belfast Aldergrove, and you won't always be handed over by ATC, though they are generally very good. Have a good trip!

BC,

rotorvision98
18th Sep 2007, 21:23
Hi there . I fly to Northern Ireland sometimes twice a week from South Wales In a Clipper 2. Just ensure you have sent your flight plan and GAR form in early and remember to close the plan once at the other side. Crossing between Northern Ireland and Eira will also require a flight plan which will also need to be closed. I find everybody very helpful over in Ireland. I use Newtonards instead of going into Belfast Aldergrove or City. But both City and Aldergrove are incredibly helpful. Its a great place to fly I love it every time i go over there. Have fun

nouseforaname
19th Sep 2007, 11:05
Got told about a new website about heli flying in ireland www.heliireland.com

you might find some stuff on there somewhere that will help you.

funfinn2000
19th Sep 2007, 20:19
pull out the transponder circuit breaker and keep flying, Moran's on the weir near Galway is nice and the Aran Islands are worth a visit. Enjoy!! No Hotel landings in Galway city and don't and I mean don't leave your Aircraft unsecure at a Hotel in certain parts of the north.

only joking by the way about transponder.

If ya go to Sligo the Clarion allows landings overnight ans secure,