PDA

View Full Version : New L.A.R.S. for the Home Counties area

manfromuncle
17th Sep 2007, 17:47
I don't know if this has already been posted, but they are extending the LARS service to include the home counties. Details here.

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/en/LARS.PDF

chevvron
17th Sep 2007, 17:50
Has been operating for almost a week now, and very successful. Helicopters from Redhill use it a lot.

HEDP
17th Sep 2007, 17:57
Good news indeed!

However, how does a Flight Info Service arise from A Lower Airspace Radar Service?

I know, I know, picky, picky!

Robbo Jock
17th Sep 2007, 18:43
"Farnborough Radar, G-ABCD request Flight Information Service" and take it from there.

HEDP
17th Sep 2007, 18:54
Ho, ho, ho!

Genuine question though, Radar Service by title but not presumably by provision!

Also will it deliver a service below 3000 feet? Am I wrong in the understanding that this is the lowest height a radar service can be delivered by civil ATC?

If I am not mistaken then with the base of the TMA generally at 2400 feet in many areas will a radar service be provided below 3000 feet?

Genuine questions, anyone ATC with an idea?

HEDP

manfromuncle
17th Sep 2007, 18:58
Before the 'new' service you could get a FIS LARS from Farnborough below 3000 ft, so I guess you can get the same now anywhere around the home counties area? I haven't used it yet though.

almost professional
17th Sep 2007, 19:02
RAS cannot be provided below MSA, RIS can but responsibility for terrain clearance lies with the pilot

chevvron
17th Sep 2007, 19:59
At the moment, RAS will only be provided at 2400ft or higher due to the Wrotham TV mast, but don't worry, we're working to get it lower. RIS can be provided at 1500ft or higher.

HEDP
18th Sep 2007, 07:16
Thanks guys,

Is this a change that I have missed, my understanding has always been that civil ATC would not give a RIS/RAS below 3000 feet however a military ATC would give you a service down to safety altitude. I take it this is no longer the case by your reply, when did it change?

HEDP

almost professional
18th Sep 2007, 08:11
far as I know always been that way, though certain units may do things differently or have local orders with tighter rules

chevvron
18th Sep 2007, 14:18
RDEP: You're thinking of Area and Terminal civil ATC units; airfield based radar units have good low cover as they need to carry out things like SRA's, thus they work to lower levels; take a look at Radar Minimum Altitude Charts; they show the lowest level to which RAS can be provided whether or not the airfield participates in LARS.