PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer not responding

BMM389EC
17th Sep 2007, 04:43
Hello All.
I'm running Vista with IE 7 and I continually get it where the page hangs and it says its IE is not responding. Asks if I want to wait,restart etc. No matter what you select it almost always ends up in having to close and then it closes all IE windows open at the time. Extremely annoying. Any ideas?:mad:

A V 8
17th Sep 2007, 05:24
...but I like IE7 (standing by for incoming!)

This happened to a mate of mine a few months ago. If you use Outlook or similar, are you finding you can still send and receive emails? (ruling out internet connection issues) If so, try disabling your anti-virus software and try IE7 again.

If that doesn't work, try running full virus/spyware scan and registry scan. You could also try downloading/re-installing IE7.

Hope that works.

A V 8

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2007, 11:37
Vista and IE7 are both effectively still beta software.

There is no way I am going to touch either (and this only at work) until SP1 for Vista is released next year.

SD

BMM389EC
17th Sep 2007, 12:33
I guess thats the route I shouldve gone. Not using Outlook or Outlook Express. Very annoying....!

Metro man
21st Sep 2007, 14:34
I've had this alot too, switched to Firefox and now it happens very rarely:)

Mac the Knife
21st Sep 2007, 18:12
"Internet Explorer not responding"

What a relief!

:E

BEagle
21st Sep 2007, 18:58
Vista and IE7.....

Well, that's 2 out of 3...

Just add AoL and your misery will be complete!

PPRuNe Towers
21st Sep 2007, 19:08
Thanks for the mention of aol Beags:

A reminder that said delightful company is still blocking any automated mail from our server: signups, password retrieval, post notifications etc. Only stuff from my own fair keyboard gets delivered and even that is increasingly moot.

As a road warrior I've found over the last 18 months or so a rapidly increasing number of hotel ISP's are blocking my missives to aol PPRuNers. It's about 20% of my regular hotels now and I can only get stuff out by webmail part of the time.

Dedicated PPRuNers wedded to these bastions of the online world really should consider getting an e-mail address that works or fire off a few snotograms to said wizards of the web.

Regards
Rob

BMM389EC
24th Sep 2007, 12:35
OK-may have solved the problem-disabling the Skype add ons!

Captain Gadget
25th Sep 2007, 14:40
I used to be with AOL (had been for more than 10 years - is this some kind of record?) but I sh@tcanned them last year because of the email issues.

Although their support line people either pretended not to or genuinely did not know it, I eventually extracted an admission from them that AOL policy (as well as that of some other ISPs) is to block all outgoing email on Port 25 in order to prevent bandwidth from being consumed by compromised bot computers sending out reams of spam. This effectively prevented me from using my own-domain email address, since AOL's own SMTP servers will only handle email traffic sent under an AOL screen name.

BEags and Towers, may not be exactly the same problem but I did find a solution - signed up with fast.co.uk and am now a happy bunny once more (as well as saving £7 a month). Never regretted dumping AOL for a minute.

Gadget :ok:

mini
27th Sep 2007, 21:44
Same problem here.

" I've had this alot too, switched to Firefox and now it happens very rarely"

my solution too - Firefox works perfectly.

" OK-may have solved the problem-disabling the Skype add ons!"

can you post details of how to do this?