PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating Single or Twin?

Joe Yellow
17th Sep 2007, 00:53
Hi everyone,

I am about start my instrument rating in 4 weeks and I am looking for advice in whether I should do it in a single or a twin. I have a CPL and looking to go north early next year.

I was told by my old PPL instructor that it would be wise to do the initial rating in a single and then the following year when I do my renewal I should upgrade to a MECIR while doing the renewal. The other option would be to do some in a single and the rest in a twin.( for the initial rating)

I have a casual job in aviation at the moment so I may have the possibility of claiming a tax deduction for the flying. (any aviation savvy tax accounts out there?)

I am looking for the most cost effective solution that will be practical to the type of flying I will hopefully be doing over the next 2/3 years.

Thanks for your help.

morno
17th Sep 2007, 01:22
Don't waste your money doing a S/E CIR. If you find a decent school, they'll more than likely start you off in a single for a couple of flights, then do the remainder in a twin anyway.

morno

TINTIN25
17th Sep 2007, 01:37
Multi-engine time is what you should be aiming for so make sure you get the full MECIR.

Chadzat
17th Sep 2007, 01:39
what morno said.

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Sep 2007, 01:49
JY

It is highly unlikely that you will get any agreement in here on this issue. For every pilot who has done their initial IR as ME, there will be someone who has done SE first and then upgraded to ME on a subsequent renewal.

My two cents worth - It is actually easier to fly IF in a high performance single or a basic twin (with both engines operating normally) than it is in a C172/C172RG/PA28 type of aeroplane because the high performance single or basic twin tends to stay where you "put it" (yes, even the FTDK which is neutrally stable in the rolling plane). The difference in cost between training in a Bo/C210 or a Duchess/Semenhole is not much, and the twin time in a highly controlled environment will do your future career prospects no harm at all.

I think most IR tests these days confine engine failures and assymetrics in twins to demonstating one engine failure on TO, one in an approach and an assymetric missed approach.

When I started out it seemed like an engine failed every time you looked sideways - always when your other workload was busiest (ie turning inbound in the NDB Appr). I recall finishing one renewal flying a DME homing on partial panel and one engine. Don't think there was much left that the bastard could shut down!

Do the MEIR.

Dr

ForkTailedDrKiller
17th Sep 2007, 01:57
OK, so what the f*ck would I know!

Seems to be general agreement.

Dr :cool:

bizzybody
17th Sep 2007, 01:58
You can never use single engine IFR anywhere unless you find a good van or PC12 operator

Stick to M.E.

Bizz

Chadzat
17th Sep 2007, 03:25
Another valid point if ou are heading north is that these days you are more likely than not to find yourself flying a twin within 12 months anyway -if you choose the right operator. Either you won't be employed if you don't have a MECIR or you will be held back from the twins for a while until you end up getting one.